detail or atifacts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

• Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

This is very rough, but I've never had a stack like this one. I just get the feeling looking at it, that I'm seeing double...at least in places. The central bands just look funny...is this a stacking problem?

Steve

Attached Files

#2 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

I think its problem of stack.
you can set only one stack point and try again

#3 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think it's a problem of (local) seeing, and/or optics alignment. I don't think it is stacking, unless perhaps you used some really weird stackign parameters, but then I would expect seems to appear, not blurring. I have never seen any results like these caused by stacking (although that doesn't mean it can't happen, just that I have never seen it before).

But Sams suggestion is good to verify that: use a single - large - alignment point, and see what the result look like.

Did you take more images, of so, what do they look like?
Was the telescope perhaps not at ambient temperature (when the scope was not isolated)?
How was the collimation of your scope?

#4 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think it's a problem of (local) seeing, and/or optics alignment. I don't think it is stacking, unless perhaps you used some really weird stackign parameters, but then I would expect seems to appear, not blurring. I have never seen any results like these caused by stacking (although that doesn't mean it can't happen, just that I have never seen it before).

But Sams suggestion is good to verify that: use a single - large - alignment point, and see what the result look like.

I haven't tried that...I will.

Did you take more images, of so, what do they look like?

Not like this!

Was the telescope perhaps not at ambient temperature (when the scope was not isolated)?
How was the collimation of your scope?

Collimation is not perfect I'm sure, but fair at least. Temperature....maybe. I keep the scope in the garage and it was not very cold, so not too much temperature difference. But this was from towards the beginning of the session; I'm not sure how long it was from the time I set the scope out and this....less than 2 hours. I will check some of the other captures tonight.

Steve

#5 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Try RGB align in Registax, looks like the color channels are ever so slightly out of alignment.

#6 yock1960

yock1960

Gemini

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Registax and I don't get along....but I'll give it a try Shawn. Thanks!

Steve

#7 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

LOL! I don't get along with it half the time either!

#8 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Ya, I'd try RGB align in R6. If you load your still image and press the RGB align button, then make the green box that pops up on the image large enough to just surround the planet, and press process button. If it doesn't help, then try stacking fewer frames and see what happens. I've gone that route when I suspect I have few, but high quality frames, say only 10 or 20%. For example, video has 6000 frames and end up only stacking 1500 frames.

#9 mrlovt

mrlovt

Explorer 1

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I was thinking RGB align as well. Send us an update when you have time to reprocess!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics