Mid-Range Dob

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Y'all would change your tune(s) if you went on the two cruises I've been on. 1991 Carnival "Jubilee" to 6'43" of totality on 7-11-91 and 1998 Carnival "Fascination" 4+' of totality on 2-26-98.

But to keep this from being further hi-jacked (or pirated?), a dob will last longer than a cruise. Memories from a great cruise will last longer than my ability to stargaze.

#27 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

In my opinion--the Orion and similar priced Dobs are great value for the money. For the most part, the optics are fine. However, for the next Dob I buy, I will start with the optics. I will find a vendor who will build my telescope around a Zambutto or Lockwood mirror set. Yes, that will bump up the price. However, they will last a lifetime--priceless!

#28 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Let me ask, why is it that:

People spend thousands of dollars to ride a cruise ship, thats OK, perfectly normal.

But spend that on a nice telescope, everyone thinks your crazy. Why?

A telescope will give you viewing pleasure to last a lifetime.

As some other respondants stated, I personally would not go on a cruise, the Triumph disaster notwithstanding. But there are in my opinion very good reasons for some amateurs selecting "budget" telescopes. It's a wonderful hobby that I share with everyone here but it's still a hobby. There are needs and priorities that simply rank higher. Also, this is a hobby in which only I among my family partake. My wife does not. And sure as shooting, I'm NOT about to trade her in. :lol: So something like a dream vacation to someplace in this grand nation we've never before visited and at this point in our life may never visit again would be higher up among my priorities than a premium telescope.

Things like this are why I select and make do (and do VERY well) with an achromat refractor instead of an apochromat. When the time comes when I can get a complementary scope, it'll be something like this. If it's a Cassegrain variant, it's much more likely to be a SCT than a MCT. If it's a Newtonian on a Dob mount (the only way I'll have a Newt but a very good way), it's as likely to be from a place like Discovery or even Orion (although I'm keeping an eye on the Teeter Solid Tube Dob as a premium alternative).

As far as premium scopes go, it looks like the big advantage of the Dob is that the premium Dob can be had for less money than a premium "Cat" or refractor....

#29 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mission Viejo CA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

How is the Dobstuff mirror on the complete telescope he builds compared to Discovery's mirror? Looks like the base may be better than on the Discovery.

I've tossed around Discovery vs Zhumell vs Obsession. Thought first I would do 12" but now thinking 10... Maybe Dobstuff is the answer?

#30 acochran

acochran

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: So. CA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think his mirrors are Hubble sandwich mirrors. Opinions vary on these.
Buy your own mirror from maybe Swayze or Zambuto or Pegasus or Spooner or whoever and have Dennis build you a scope around it.

#31 Dennis Steele

Dennis Steele

vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Desert, CA.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I use some Hubble Optics -- but mostly Destiny for 10" and 12" and JMI has a nice new set of mirrors which include secondaries and spec'd at 1/16 wave. I find I use these more and more.

#32 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

My dob from Dennis had a Orion mirror set in it, an earlier set from when GSO were manufacturing their dobs, no problems at all,DA.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics