Android Flash Player?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I wanted to use my Nexus 7 android tablet to get on Night Skies Network and watch NASA TV, but neither work without Adobe Flash Player. Apparently, Adobe no longer offers an android flash player software. Is there another flash type software that would work on sites that require the Adobe player? Thanks!!

#2 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I don't have an Android device, but I did a google search and apparently Adobe has pulled Flash support for Android devices.

Don't feel lonesome. iOS devices dont' support Flash either...

#3 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hi CarolG,

I've had my Nexus 7 for about 2 months. You can find flash player at xda-developers.com. Here's one link but read about it before you install it. This is where I downloaded Flash for use with Firefox Beta. Works great!

BTW, I love my Nexus 7. My Nexus updated to Android 4.2.2 yesterday.

peace & clear skies

#4 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks so much for the link!! Leave it to xda-developers to fill in the blanks. That is a great site. Now I'm going to go download Flash onto my Nexus.

I love my Nexus 7 too and take it everywhere. With its 3G+ connection, I can get online just about anywhere.

#5 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

got a Samsung Galaxy SIII and neither nightskiesnetwork is working. I tried their suggestion at XDA and nothing works up to date :( is incredible that this expensive phone are for sale with such defieiencies. :(

#6 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

I downloaded the flash player onto my Nexus 7, V 4.2.2, and it doesn't seem to work on Firefox. When I logged onto Night Skies Network, I was able to get the dialog box to appear, but the video part was blank. :bawling:

#7 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Keep an eye out on the Play store.. there is "supposed" to be a version of the Skyfire Browser that supports Android 4.1 and up. Skyfire decodes flash content, compresses it then sends it to your device in a format that show on their browser, HTML5 I believe. There is a 3 day free trial of video conversion then you have to buy a premium key currently it's $4.99. They are currently saying it's not compatible with Andy 4.1 and up.

http://goo.gl/mS23g

edit:
This seems to be working on my Galaxy S3 It's running Android 4.1.1.. see if you can get it on the Nexus.

#8 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hi CarolG

I tried NSN and the flash on the front page worked but when I enter into other broadcasters it seems that FF Beta freezes up. I'll keep trying some other settings to see if that will help.

I do know that FF Beta works with other Flash movies.

peace & clear skies

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

Humm...

My 2 year old phone has flash, was thinking it was time for a new phone but everything works and as they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Jon

#10 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

CarolG,

I'm able to play Flash videos on my Nexus 7 (on Android 4.1.2) with Firefox and the old v.11.1 Adobe Flash Player.

I recently upgraded to Paranoid Android 3.00, which is based on Android 4.2.2 PA 3.00 has known graphic glitches, but I was still able to play one of the videos on nightskiesnetwork.com on my Nexus 7 with Firefox & Flash Player. Following screen capture has the PA 3.00 graphics glitch at the bottom, but I'm confident you should be able to get it working on your N7 running 4.2.2. Firefox and Flash Player 11.1 is a known working combination for playing Flash videos.

Attached Files

#11 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the help. It would be nice to have flash, and I'll keep trying to find something that works. Jon, you are right about "if it ain't broke". I updated to jelly bean 4.2.2 and now some of my apps won't work with this update. Now I need to figure out how to go back to 4.2.1. :(

#12 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Carol,
I use Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) v2.4.1.0 to backup and restore my Nexus7 I backup & restore to/from a external USB flash drive. If you don't have a backup I suggest you start now (it's just like a PC you need to back it up). TWRP requires Root access.

#13 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

snorkler said:

I was still able to play one of the videos on nightskiesnetwork.com on my Nexus 7 with Firefox & Flash Player.

but I'm confident you should be able to get it working on your N7 running 4.2.2. Firefox and Flash Player 11.1 is a known working combination for playing Flash videos.

Hi snorkler,

I was able to get that front page video to play too. But if you try to view any other, sign in as a guest, and none of the videos work. I tried several videos and even signed up to see if that made a difference. No joy.

peace & clear skies

#14 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Thanks, Marcus. When I first got my Nexus, I backed up everything on it, but I do need to do a new backup before I try to restore the 4.2.1 OS.

Richard, that's the problem I have. Once I sign in and pick an individual broadcast, I lose the video on that broadcast.

#15 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Carol,
You don't have too but I would, I am of the opinion that you can't have to many backups (you can always delete what you don't want later). I always do a back before I install a new OS, and I always backup my current state before a restore unless the current system is hosed. I do that in case the backup is faulty for some reason.

#16 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

On my Kindle Fire HD, I was able to get Flash working with Chrome and also with Dolphin. If you don't mind trying another browser, you might see if those work with Flash on the Nexus.

#17 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi, Steph. I tried it with Chrome, but it didn't work on it. I haven't tried Dolphin, but I'll look into it. Thanks!

#18 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Bummer!I I really like Chrome on my Fire, even better than Firefox (which I also couldn't get Flash to work on). I didn't try Opera or Maxthon, but those are another couple of options you probably know about. :)

#19 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hi all,

I just tried Dolphin Browser, even downloaded Dolphin Video, but would not work on NSN. There is a warning under settings about Flash not being supported. It did not recognize my Flash installation at all. The Dolphin Video is mainly for Youtube and nothing else. Or I couldn't find how to make it work with NSN.

Maybe it's time for NSN to offer another alternative? HTML5?

If someone will double check Dolphin and flash to confirm my findings that would be great.

peace & clear skies

#20 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thought I'd revive this thread, as I found a browser with flash built in, thanks to the folks on the Mallincam Yahoo group who recommended it. It's called Photon Browser and can be found, free of charge for the basic version with ads, at Google Play. I tried it out on Night Skies Network, and it actually works on my Nexus 7!!

#21 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Thank Carol I'll have to try it.

#22 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

I tried and keep trying Photon Browser for NSN only and work okay, but the program seems to crash a lot, is free with ads frequently and there's a free ads version for $6.99 a year. Is the only one can can run flash for NSN so I think worth the try.

#23 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

I agree with what you are saying. The ads are a little annoying, but I plan to use the browser only for viewing NSN. For all other web browsing, I really like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.

#24 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Are we talking about viewing the podcasts and videos from the NASA site? I'm not having any problems viewing either with Paranoid Android 3.10 (Android 4.2.2) and Firefox. Have they switched from Flash to HTML5?

#25 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

I was talking about viewing Night Skies Network, not the NASA site. I'm using a rooted stock Jelly Bean 4.21, and viewing websites using Flash has been a problem for me.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics