Super Nova - Centarus - NGC 5643

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I saw last evening that a "bright" Supernova has been discovered in the barred, spiral galaxy, NGC 5643 in Centarus. The galaxy is ~ 3 degrees Northeast from the Omega Globular Cluster. The SN is ~ 12th mag visual, so should be a nice sight in a 8" or large scope with an unobstructed southern horizon (40 degree N Lat and parts further south) in the predawn sky. Here is the discovery image with the SN at the apex of the "V" markers and a wide field finder chart from WIKISKY.Org Image from Bright Super Nova Website

Attached Files

#2 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

and here is the wide field finder:

O is there a way to show two pics on the same page in these post?

Attached Files

#3 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I saw this galaxy just a year ago on a trip to Australia... Seeing the supernova now would be great but it barely rises where I live, or theoretically rather.

#4 sgottlieb

sgottlieb

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

This is an excellent galaxy from the southern hemisphere. Here are two observations I made in Australia also...

24" (4/11/08): at 260x I was very impressed with this large, bright barred spiral. The halo is slightly elongated, ~3.5'x3.0' and sharply concentrated with a very bright, small, core. Extending through the center is a brighter bar oriented E-W with a star superimposed on this bar to the west of the core. A second superimposed star lies 35" to the south and continuing on this line is a third star just at the edge of the halo, 1.7' S of center. At the east end of the bar a slightly enhanced arc sweeps clockwise to the north and a similar enhancement on the west side sweeps to the south. The faint arc or arms wrap around 180° making a complete outer ring. The central bar and the outer ring together form the Greek letter "theta". Situated in a fairly rich Lupus star field.

18" (7/5/05): fascinating glimpses of structure at 228x! This galaxy is fairly bright and large, round, ~3.5' diameter. The surface brightness is clearly patchy in the halo due to the strong impression of clockwise spiral structure but there was only a broad, weak concentration in the center except for a sharply concentrated, bright 15" nucleus. A broad spiral arm is attached on the east side of the galaxy shooting sharply to the north. There is an impression of another spiral arm attached on the west side of the galaxy and sweeping towards the south in a clockwise orientation, though this structure is not as well defined. A string of five stars angling SSE to NNW appear to puncture the galaxy on the south side with the northern two stars superimposed on the west side of the galaxy with the last star in the chain just west of the nucleus. Located in a star field densely peppered with stars.

#5 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Actually this SN is in Lupus. Wanted to image it but it's simply too low. :(

Rich (RLTYS)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics