Stuck with a Nexstar 11 GPS mount

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Hosey

Phil Hosey

Surveyor 1

• Loc: LaGrange, GA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

About 2 years ago I bought a used Nexstar 11 GPS, mostly for the OTA only because I wanted it for hyperstar imaging. When I got it home I couldn't get the mount to work, kept giving me some error I can't remember at the moment. It didn't really bother me because I got a good deal and OTA is all I really wanted anyway. A while later after I had enough of the C11 I decided to sell the OTA. I had mentioned in my ad that the mount didn't work and I was only selling the OTA. I got a buyer and he asked me if I would send him the GPS board from the mount as part of the sale and I agreed. As I was getting ready to pack everything up I tried the mount one more time, and lo and behold, it worked. Now had I known this, I would have kept the scope for visual use. I decided to do the right thing and sell the OTA as promised. I sold the OTA and what I *thought* was the GPS board, but it turned out to be the motor control board. The buyer asked me to double check the parts and send him the correct board. After totally disasembling the mount I found the GPS board, but it turned out to be an older version and wouldn't work with his mount. I notified him of what I found out and asked him if he wouldn't mind returning the motor control board so that I would at least have a functioning mount. Well, I never heard from him again. So, now I have a useless Nexstar GPS 11 mount and a case for it taking up space in my garage. I don't want to spend the money to get a motor control board and fix it, so I was thinking of selling it for parts, only thing is, I don't know what is a fair price to ask for it. Shipping it would probably cost more than its worth unless I parted it out. I think most people only need things like the electronic bits and the motors. What do you guys think?

#2 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Most of the parts except the motors are pretty cheap from celestron, so I think parting it out would be more trouble than its worth...

I'd put it up as an AS-IS mount in classifieds for $2-$300 and see where it goes... Just state that its missing the motor control board.

You can probably get another $75-$100 for the handset as well..

#3 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

You could try getting the board from Celestron and then also get a new C11 or sell the mount as-is.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics