Self-Assembling Molecules May Point to Life's Origin
http://www.astrobio....es-may-point...

Jason H.

#2 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the link, Jason.

There seem to be so many potentially fertile research pathways for this topic. It makes one wonder if there are multiple chemical pathways towards the first biochemistry, or if all but one of these will turn out to be dead ends.

Or if several partial pathways need to interact in specific ways.

#3 dickbill

dickbill

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

In this article there is a key sentence:
"..."RNA is so perfect today that it has to be the product of evolution," says Nicholas Hud..."

Indeed, the first replicators must have been dirty, 'noisy' form the point of view of information and therefore not made of RNA or DNA. Fossils of them may be hidden somewhere on or under the surface of the moon. Finding leftover of terrestrian impactors of that period, 4-3.8 billion years, should be a major research endeavor for future lunar scientists (or robots most likely).

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think that there is a lot going on in the research about cells since it was realized that the DNA explanation alone was inadequate. Much happens in an apparent 'self organizing' way but the signal theory and Morse theory, timing, and environmental factors, supporting cast of characters, behind it is where a huge amount of research is being done. I know it may sound horrible but in some ways I hope they don't figure it all out? There's a lifesaving and prolonging part of it all that is good?, but an equally creepy side that scares me. Of course folks can say that bout physics too.

#5 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

I've never put much stock in statements that bemoan science's "taking the mystery out of" one phenomenon or another. Understanding only deepens the fascination, it never trivializes it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics