Nexstar 8SE - Second Light

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

It was a very nice and clear night last night. I got the scope out again. I tried all the alignment suggestions but they failed, except for the Solar alignment. It tracked Jupiter but not perfect. But this time I payed more attention to how the scope reacts. I can tell the backlash needs adjustment and I didn't have the finder scope on properly. So, this Sunday, I am going to do a complete alignment that was suggested to me in my post on First light. I love this scope. :D I know that sounds weird with having alignment problems, but I know it's all me and not the scope.

Enough about the scope, let's talk about what I saw. I saw 3 of Jupiter's moons. It was just awesome. My wife says it's becoming my favorite planet. LOL. I told her it's because it's easy to find and I am just trying to get used to the scope. But I did swing over to look at the moon. Now that was really cool. Seeing all the craters. The wife said she can't wait for a full moon to look at it. I was out looking at Jupiter and the moon. I forgot to look at M42. Which bummed me out. :( But all in all, it was a very nice 3 hours of observing from my front yard. I kept fogging up the eye pieces. But after a little while, they would clear up. I need to get a cheap hair dryer to take out with me. I will say that when I save up my pennies, I am going to order a different finder scope. I am sick of contorting when using the red dot scope. Any good suggestions on a replacement.

#2 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

A lot of people like the telrad red dot sight, its has a large visual plane for the red dot but is also fairly large in size.

I personally went with a rifle style open red/green dot sight. It has a larger visual plane over the celestron sight, four reticle patterns and is much smaller than the telrad.

here are the links to the sight and weaver rail I used to mount it on my NS11GPS:

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B009X0HU0G

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B002GNYCNA

Attached Files

#3 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

The wife said she can't wait for a full moon to look at it.

You might want to explain to her that the full moon is rather disappointing compared to the first quarter moon. With a full moon there are no visible shadows so everything looks flat and boring. This way she can enjoy the moon at its current phase, knowing that this is really the best time to view the moon.

#4 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

The easiest "finder" to use especially with a GoTo scope is a green laser pointer...no need to even getup off your observation chair just slew the scope to the star you are looking at and it will be in the FOV of your scopes eyepiece all the time...Plus you only need to use it to center 2 or 3 stars each night..

Seriously I ran mm 8i with a green laser, a Telrad and a 8x50 RACI finder all bolted on to the scope at the same time for a good 4 months.... ended up removing the Telrad because I never used it..and I honestly could have removed the RACI finder for the same reason EXCEPT I sometime use the RACI finder as a wide field very low powered telescope in its own right...

YOU do have to be careful and stop, look and listen for airplanes when using a laser... I'm only 60-70 miles away from BWI, Dullas, and Andrews AFB and we do have a local airport PLUS my house is directly in the flight path the President uses to fly back and forth to Camp David which is 15 miles from my house.which is at the very edge of the NO FLY Zone surrounding Camp David when he is up there .. BELIEVE me when I hear a Helicopter the laser stays OFF if I hear Multiply helicopters I don'e even slew the scope....LOL

Bob G.

#5 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

The easiest "finder" to use especially with a GoTo scope is a green laser pointer...no need to even getup off your observation chair just slew the scope to the star you are looking at and it will be in the FOV of your scopes eyepiece all the time...Plus you only need to use it to center 2 or 3 stars each night..

Seriously I ran mm 8i with a green laser, a Telrad and a 8x50 RACI finder all bolted on to the scope at the same time for a good 4 months.... ended up removing the Telrad because I never used it..and I honestly could have removed the RACI finder for the same reason EXCEPT I sometime use the RACI finder as a wide field very low powered telescope in its own right...

YOU do have to be careful and stop, look and listen for airplanes when using a laser... I'm only 60-70 miles away from BWI, Dullas, and Andrews AFB and we do have a local airport PLUS my house is directly in the flight path the President uses to fly back and forth to Camp David which is 15 miles from my house.which is at the very edge of the NO FLY Zone surrounding Camp David when he is up there .. BELIEVE me when I hear a Helicopter the laser stays OFF if I hear Multiply helicopters I don'e even slew the scope....LOL

Bob G.

I wish I could use a green laser, but I am like 5 miles from Charleston AFB. I don't think the C-17 pilots would like it with me pointing a green laser up in the sky. They fly so low here sometimes that you can see the bolts holding the wings on. :shocked:

I have been thinking of a RACI finder scope, but I want to invest in a nice one. I don't want to get some cheap POS that will break easily.

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hi Ben:

Too bad you can't use the GLP. As Bob says, it's the best solution.

But second best is a RACI. You can get all kinds of these and spend lots of money. The best ones have changeable eyepieces just like the main scope and can in fact be used as a second scope for wide views. However, the one's with large enough aperture to use as a widefield scope also add a lot of weight to the scope and can cause issues with balance.

If you want something that is strictly a finder, the Orion RACI's seem to me to be a good quality finder for a reasonable price. I use the 9x50, but I use it alongside a GLP. The GLP is used for initial pointing, then I look through the RACI for better alignment.

The problem is that at 9x, the magnification is a touch high for initial pointing. In other words, to get the desired star to be in the field, I find that I have to crouch down next to the finder and sight along the outside of the tube to get it aimed properly. Since that's how you use the red dot finder, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a RACI!

Since your situation restricts you from using a GLP for initial aiming, I'd recommend getting a lower power RACI like the Orion 6x30. With a larger field of view, it's easier to get the target into the view.

-Dan

#7 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Dan - I was looking at the Orion RACI but wasn't sure of the quality. I like the price. And you are right about the power, I think that a 9x would be too much just for a finder scope.

#8 hamdul

hamdul

Viking 1

• Loc: Litchfield NH, USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Ben,
I got the Orion RAFS for christmas and it's a jewel. More than adequate.
Fred

#9 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I don't have any problems with my 9x50 finder. I find the field wide enough to find objects with ease. The x9 is useful as a small wide angle scope, for looking at open cluster, rich star fields, asterisms etc.

Regards. Peter.

#10 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Cool input. So far, the Orion looks like a good value. Did any of you go with the illuminated version?

#11 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I don't have the illuminated version, but I've never seen a need for it. The cross-hairs seems to stand out fine against my mildly light polluted skies. I think if you were in an area with seriously dark skies it might be a problem, but for most of us, no need.

-Dan

#12 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Thanks Dan. That is good to know. Keeps the cost down. And since I am not going to a dark area anytime soon, I won't have to worry about the need for them to be illuminated.

#13 coutleef

coutleef

Skylab

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I don't have any problems with my 9x50 finder. I find the field wide enough to find objects with ease. The x9 is useful as a small wide angle scope, for looking at open cluster, rich star fields, asterisms etc.

Regards. Peter.

I agree with Peter, especially since i use the 8se in the city, it really helps to see stars in LP skies.

My major problem when i use a 9x50 raci at my dark site is just the opposite: i see too many stars and get lost. But that is a nice problem to have

#14 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I wish I had that problem. Light pollution stinks. :mad:

#15 Gary Z

Gary Z

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

I have used the Rigel quick finder. You will have to get some double sided sticky tape. From the time you first put it on your scope and align it to an object....takes less than five minutes. Adorama sells this: Rigel Systems QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight with Built-in Dew Shield, Extra Base & Battery - http://www.adorama.c...CFQjznAodjX8A1w

#16 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Gary - Do you have to contort yourself on the ground to look through it like you do with the red dot finder that comes with the 8SE?

#17 Gary Z

Gary Z

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I actually requested Celestron to send me another red dot finder and that helped greatly. However, the Rigel quick finder, while it certainly isn't the most aesthetic looking device sitting on top of the telescope, it is by far the easiest to use....I also use it for my smaller ETX-80 scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics