• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yesterday I was planning on showing my 5x8 box trailer to a perspective buyer. It is the trailer I used to carry my Telescope equipment to my Sidewalk events until I got a camper shell for my truck. I parked at work in the morning planning on going to my sidewalk event when I got off of work. When I got off work all that was left was the cut lock from the hitch. Not only did they get the trailer but there was also a pair of Right Angle 88mm Apogee binoculars, and a Celestron CG5 telescope mount.

#2 Jammer53

Jammer53

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central NY

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Good Lord. That's terrible. I cannot abide a thief. Hopefully you had insurance.

#3 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I have full coverage on the truck. It does not carry more than liability to the trailer. My homeowners would cover contents for over the deductible. I might get a small amount back.

#4 tjv323

tjv323

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

I'm assuming you filed a police report? Did you put the trailer where you told the perspective buyer to meet you? Could have been them.

#5 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Yes I did file a report, no he had no way off knowing where it was. He had no idea where I work. And insult on injury is, he had stated he didn't quite have enough cash just yet and asked if I would hold it for a small deposit which I had agreed but wanted him to see it in person first. When he showed up he had raised the whole amount. And intended to buy it then and there.

#6 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Wow. That really stinks. I've had my home broken into, so I can definitely empathize.

#7 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

If you have ever mentioned your workplace or if your name is on the company website a thief could find that by Googling;or if a thief found your home address through phone listings then he could shadow you to work,and steal the trailer knowing you would be busy inside.A pair of bolt cutters is as fast as a key,and the whole process of pulling next to your vehicle,cutting the lock,hooking to the thief's vehicle could take less than 5 minutes.

I'm not giving thieves any ideas here they already know these things.

The binos will likely be in a pawn shop or on ebay or craigslist within hours.

Doubtful the police will find ,or even look for the trailer and contents;a friend had his shop emptied of expensive machinists tools and was told to collect the insurance and let the police know if HE saw any of the items offered for sale anywhere.

#8 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

wow that really is a bummer. Good luck in getting the scope items and trailer back.

#9 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

If you have ever mentioned your workplace or if your name is on the company website a thief could find that by Googling;or if a thief found your home address through phone listings then he could shadow you to work,and steal the trailer knowing you would be busy inside.A pair of bolt cutters is as fast as a key,and the whole process of pulling next to your vehicle,cutting the lock,hooking to the thief's vehicle could take less than 5 minutes.

I'm not giving thieves any ideas here they already know these things.

The binos will likely be in a pawn shop or on ebay or craigslist within hours.

Doubtful the police will find ,or even look for the trailer and contents;a friend had his shop emptied of expensive machinists tools and was told to collect the insurance and let the police know if HE saw any of the items offered for sale anywhere.

With my house, we did in fact end up finding some of the items. We notified the police, they got the records from the shop, and the thief was caught and prosecuted. But only because we found the items.

#10 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I am truly sorry! I hope your trailer turns up, and in usable condition. Keep your spirits up. We can't let the bad guys win. :mad:

#11 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I am truly sorry! I hope your trailer turns up, and in usable condition. Keep your spirits up. We can't let the bad guys win. :mad:

Thanks, I will. Actually I am tickeled pink that I no longer carry my 17.5 Discovery Dob, Blandin platform, and Televue Ethos bag in the trailer. They where all in the pickup that the trailer was attached to. :thewave:

#12 David Castillo

David Castillo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

This is proof that Lowlifer's just can't get enough trailer to suit themselves. I hope that you recover the trailer soon.
----
Dave

#13 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Tim next time try a lock like this. lock I sure hope you get something back,

#14 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

We have a security camera photo. It's poor quality but might do the trick!

#15 geekgroupie

geekgroupie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Puebo, CO

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Major waaaa.... I've been unfortunately lately as well... the LED burned out on my starpointer, broke the power cord that runs from scope to vehicle.... and then a couple days later dropped the OTA and cracked the glass. If it's not one thing, it's 1/2 dozen another. Plus I was in Texas Hill Country and those hills and trees really messed me up... I'm so spoiled being out here in these West Texas barren plains with vast horizons. Actually, I kinda like it when I have a good excuse to go shopping.... and shopping I did... new scope on order.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics