• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Since my Orion is my only scope at the moment, I'd like to keep it handy but out of harms way. So far its been set up in the family room but I would like to somehow hang it on the wall and keep the tripod folded in a closet ready for action.

How is everyone storing their grab-n-go rigs?

#2 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Mine is in garage and large old blanket to cover it! Always len and eyepiece cap to cover to keep away from dust. In garage for years is no problem for me!

#3 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

...but I would like to somehow hang it on the wall and keep the tripod folded in a closet ready for action.

I actually store one of my refractors (a Celestron ED80) that way. It normally rides on a Giro head, so the dovetail is side-mounted anyway. I attached a spare saddle clamp to a closet wall that already was in "astro use" (a tripod and mount in a large Manfrotto tripod bag hanging horizontally on the wall, and a paralellogram binocular mount hanging from padded hooks on the same wall).

Another grab and go refractor (Vixen SS80A) is short enough to be stored in my main eyepiece case.

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

I store all my equipment in the living room. The tripod and mount head are setup together as normally, the refractor is in it's aluminium case and all other stuff in another case. It is relatively compact and which is more important for me - ready to get and put it in my car and go to dark place.

#5 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

I was at Home Depot and I saw they had hangers that are made to hang on the wall to store stuff. They were vinyl coated and looked sturdy enough. I may give them a try. Would look nice above the fireplace.

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Check out Andy's scope rack idea, here:

http://www.andysshot...scopeRacks.html

I have hard or soft cases for most of my OTAs and store then in a dedicated outbuilding on warehouse shelving. My wife would shoot me if I put a telescope on the wall. :lol:

Regards,

Jim

#7 Rossmon

Rossmon

Messenger

• Loc: Marin County, CA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Well, they are instruments and so I believe on keeping them cased and out of sight where nothing can drop or step on them!
If you are fortunate to have the space, somewhere cold is the ideal spot for quick grabngo. I store mine in my garage for that purpose.

#8 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

http://www.pbase.com...844468/original
artists conception : P
make sure you put a LED line light behind each scope for the glow

#9 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I store indoors in their cases with dessciant caps and a little extra depending on scope. After taking indoors they sit to equilibrate with caps on objective and eps (brought in with them on) and are then put away. I monitor humidity in each case with small humidity indicator card that changes color from pink to blue at various % humidities.

Awesome concept pic Mike! You might be on to something.

#10 bryan242

bryan242

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Check out Andy's scope rack idea, here:

http://www.andysshot...scopeRacks.html

That photo made me shudder. There's no way I would put one of my scopes at the mercy of a drywall anchor.

#11 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I store it in a French-made Val'Easy case as pictured, with a Farpoint 2" desiccant cap installed. Picture shows also two OTA-supports for service and cleaning.

Stephan

Attached Files

#12 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Mine are stored in an upstairs extra bedroom. Even in WI, the basement get too humid in the summer.

#13 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Mike I love this idea... however I doubt that my better half would accept that. :D

regards
Chris

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

That photo made me shudder. There's no way I would put one of my scopes at the mercy of a drywall anchor.

I suspect that photo was not taken in an earthquake zone. It's wouldn't take a large earthquake to end up with three scopes on the floor.

Myself, I store my most of my telescopes in a backroom with an outside door. My classic era refractors are store on a shelf in large rack/cabinet. My modern refractors, the ones I take with me to dark skies all have cases, either soft or hard and have a shelf on there too. I usually have either my 80mm F/7 or the 101mm F/5.4 setup and ready to go.

Jon

#15 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Awww, Andy's all about affordable gear. That drywall anchor and those racks are worth more than the scopes. :grin:

- Jim

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Awww, Andy's all about affordable gear. That drywall anchor and those racks are worth more than the scopes. :grin:

- Jim

Jim:

I wasn't worried about the scopes, I didn't want the falling scopes to damage the floor.

:tonofbricks:

Jon

#17 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

I store my only telescope when it's not in use as follows: The Celestron Omni mount is leaned in a corner in our pantry. The optical tube assembly and all its accessories except the finderscope are in a case under my bed. Safekeeping is the watchword here.

The finderscope is still in its bubblewrap, not ever haven been used. :lol:

#18 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I store my refractor in its case underneath my computer desk, the tripod/mount in a closet right next to it. Setup time is negligible. With two cats (one of them a very curious kitten), I don't have too many 'nice' things out in the open.

#19 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Mine are either kept in their provided hardshell cases, or else set up on tripod and mount in my (relatively clean, no cars) garage, ready to grab n'go on a moment's inspiration. Occasionally when I've been out observing with one of them at our club's site on a moist night and I have to put in the case damp to take home, I'll take it into my study inside the house and put the scope up on a secures spot on top of a chest and leave the empty case open on the floor to dry out overnight.

One consequence of using my garage for storage is that I'm careful to keep the garage doors shut whenever I'm not at home and immediately nearby. Fortunately, the orientation of my garage is such that the inside isn't visible from the street, plus it's a considerable distance up a driveway.

Someday, if and when I ever have small grandchildren and they're visiting, I may have to rethink my scope storage scheme to keep them less immediately accessible to the reckless rambunctiousness and incautious curiosity of kids.

#20 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

• Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

My telescopes are stored in hard cases, with reusable desiccant bags and caps. They are kept in a spare bedroom with a dehumidifier to regulate humidity and its door is always kept closed. Over here in the tropics, humidity is always extremely high. Actually, that's the reason I only have closed-tube OTAs.

#21 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

All are stored in their hard cases inside the house.

#22 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

The scopes and eyepieces are always in their cases when not in use. Most of the time I store them in a spare bedroom in the house. They sometimes go in my office in the finished basement when we have guests. The mount stays in the garage so I can load it in the car easily or take it out to the backyard.

#23 n1wvet

n1wvet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA, Earth

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

I store my refractor in the garage next to my sloppy, smelly, big tire Jeep. I like being able to take the 50 gallon trash bag off of it and drag it onto the driveway and be observing in a few minutes. Optics are already at ambient and no cases, foams, dessicants, perfumes or feather dusters to mess with. I do use lens caps though and clean it about once a year just to get the dog hair off.

#24 landshark99

landshark99

Lift Off

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Mine are kept in my semiconverted garage in their hard and or soft case, ready to go at any time

#25 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

mine sits with the camera still attached on the dining room table. I occassionally get looks from the wife but only have to move it for big fancy dinners like thanksgiving, haha.
Packing it in the case each time would require removing the camera and tube rings.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics