• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AlbertaSun

AlbertaSun

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Putting out a post to say hi. I want to start by saying thanks to the many great posts I have recently searched through to get valuable information on getting into this hobby. My primary interest is to achieve some moderate success with astrophotography. This being my first scope, I know I will be going against the grain of some of the views on this forum:
- I won't be gaining years of skywatching experience with a scope before attempting this. I guess I see this as a very sophisticated tripod and lens for my camera.
- I am starting out with the plan of using one Optical Tube to do it all. For viewing purposes, I am looking to buy the eyepieces that will allow me to push my scope to its useful magnification limit (189x) and see what kind of views that will get me. If not happy then - I can go from there.

Unfortunately, I know no one personally that has taken this on, however, the shop that sold me my mount are very helpful and tonight I am off to an indoctrination to practice polar alignment and getting tracking and guiding systems going. I have already gone through the manuals and loaded all software and drivers so am sure it will be a go.

Some of my lingering items that is am hoping to get help with from the forum:
- for my lens to reach maximum magnification, I am looking at either an Antares SWA(2) 7.2 or an Explore Scientific 6.7. I have seen lots of info here. Any comments?

- At some point, I may have to consider afocal imaging to get some of the planet and moon shots. I am very interested in what setups people might be using.

Thanks for the look. With some "not" cloudy nights and some "not" butt freezing temperatures, I am hoping to put this to the test. I look forward to the day when I may have some insight and/or pictures to share here.

#2 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Welcome to CN and the hobby. Nice set up you have. Good luck tonight, with AP and stay warm.

#3 northernontario

northernontario

Apollo

• Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hello fellow Canuck....and welcome to this beatiful hobby and fantastic forum.

If astrophotography is your passion, then persue it. I have never dabbled in it in a serious manner. I have taken some very nice photos over the years of constellations, Northern Lights and Jupiter and the moon.

All with a regular digi cam on a tripod.

You know, you just might get started with the visual aspect of this hobby and completely fall in love with it.

Oh...and don't hold your breath waiting for that Explore Scientific 6.7 mm. I placed an order for on at the beginning of the year....still waiting.

Enjoy, take your time and opt for good quality equipment.

jake

#4 AlbertaSun

AlbertaSun

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the welcomes. Jake - thanks for he heads up on the ES 6.7 - I have sent an e-mail off to the shop where I am looking at it to see what there availability is. I am sometimes too impatient for my own good, so if delivery time for one of these is questionable, I "may" have to look for plan B.

Larry

#5 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hi Larry, and welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Sounds like you already have an idea what you're getting into by jumping down the AP rabbit hole. :lol: If you haven't already, check out our imaging fora a little further down the page.

#6 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! While my wife and I live near New Orleans, she's from Winnipeg. I don't envy you this time of year. :coldday:

David

#7 Allan...

Allan...

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Penticton B.C. Canada

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, Larry. Re eyepiece selection, for what its worth, MY opinion is that the ES line is very good; waiting for stock isn't so much fun though. I have an ES11mm 82° and like it. Do I think it was worth the cost? Not sure. I also have an Agena Astro 20mm (1.25")70°SWA that I REALLY like and use a lot in my 8" Dob. I barlow it down (2x) to 10mm and find that it is hard to tell the difference between that and the ES11mm.; honestly. Plus the Agena is much lighter. I was given the ES11mm as a gift; would I buy another one? Not sure on that; the wait is long and I can buy two of another brand that suit me just fine; again my opinion. Not meaning to shoot down the ES line but the Agena Astros are great value for what they are; really. :D Allan

#8 AlbertaSun

AlbertaSun

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Again - thanks for greetings.

Jake - the following is the response that I got an my ES lens inquiry "Unfortunately, everyone is on a wait for these and us included. It would be best to place an order with us first so you can be in que on the waiting list" Guess I will do a little looking around first

Steve - I am sure I have had a couple looks in the imaging forum when first checking things out. Now that I have most of my hardware issues and purchases behind me - I am sure I will be hitting this forum pretty hard. Thanks.

David - don't know - Winnipeg might have it slightly worse:-) Now New Orleans though - that is a fun place (if you miss the hurricanes). My wife and I visited there a couple years ago (NO, River Road, Natches, etc) and we are sure we will be back for another tour.

Allan - you can see from the note to Jake above, that the ES's might take a while. I see that (relatively speaking) you are in my part of the world. Where did you shop for your Agena Astros? BTW - small world - I will likely be passing through Penticton in a couple months to see friends in Vancouver.

Larry

#9 Allan...

Allan...

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Penticton B.C. Canada

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Ok Larry...I really like the Agena Astro SWA lineup; here is the link. Agena Astro ps: if you order one at a time and keep the cost below $50, usually Canada Customs lets it come right through without taxes or duty. Allan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics