Photo

Who makes ultralights commercially? (12.5"-14" )

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Are there many options for 12.5" -14" ultralights today - I mean that you can purchase!? In particular, I am thinking of reasonably priced ones like Hubble rather than those costing over $5000 with Zambuto grade mirrors. I don't consider standard truss dobs ultralights

There's Hubble. Dobstuff might be able to build one?? Who else?

I saw a thread just like this from 2008 I believe and some of the suggestions back then seem to be out of business or in Europe.

#2 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sumerian Optics, but you need to make a trip to Holland.

#3 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I love Amsterdam, but hard to justify...

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Michael of Sumerian Optics will not ship overseas. If you have it shipped somewhere in the EU and from there to the US, you could get the job done.

#5 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

All I can say is LAME!

#6 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Danny,

He is very busy as is and it is a one man show. Saying that it is lame without knowing the man and why he does not sell scopes in the US is a bit rough IMHO.

I am not happy either that to get for example a Obsession 15" UL to Cyprus it would cost me $500 shipping and on top of that, 18% sales tax on the total value (including shipping cost) and on top of that an additional 4.7% tax because it is an optical item!!!

Hence it bites both ways. I ended up being glad it was too expensive to get the 15" UL Obsession as I diverted my attention to other alternatives. Having some back problems, Sumerian Optics' solution is perfect for me as the structure is very light.

Of course I will know more next week. My scope is in transit now from the Netherlands.

Suggestion: I use a parcel forwarding service in the US for all items not shipped overseas (MyUS specifically). Perhaps there is something similar in Europe you can use to this purpose? Or if you know of someone overseas he/she can receive the structure for you and then send it to you?

#7 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Rob Teeter has just introduced an ultralight/travel Dob. As a client of his I received an email about a month ago announcing this. Unfortunately I deleted the email and his website doesn't seem to mention this new scope. I seem to remember it was in the 12" class but not for sure. You could drop him an email to get the real story.
Dave

#8 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Saying that it is lame without knowing the man and why he does not sell scopes in the US is a bit rough IMHO.

I contacted him and when he found out I was in the states he was a too sarcastic for a vendor I would give my money to.

#9 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Sorry to hear that. My experience with him was just the opposite! I guess issues do arise from time to time, as well as misunderstandings depending on native language e.t.c.

#10 starman345

starman345

Wait, I'm Thinking

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

My scope is in transit now from the Netherlands.

Hopefully you will open a thread here about your new telescope with your comments (and maybe a picture or two)?. I am very interested, those are certainly beautiful telescopes.

#11 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the mention, Dave! Actually, it's a 10" F/5 we're working on that will be built in the "Travel Scope" vein of construction. No plans for a 12"/12.5" at this point, though. Information on the 10" is available in our latest semi-monthly newsletter:

New 10" Travel Telescope

Clear skies,

#12 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

My scope is in transit now from the Netherlands.

Hopefully you will open a thread here about your new telescope with your comments (and maybe a picture or two)?. I am very interested, those are certainly beautiful telescopes.

I plan to :jump:

#13 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Of course I will know more next week. My scope is in transit now from the Netherlands.

Mine also! The tracking shows it still was at the hub in Holland on Friday, but should be here sometime mid next week.

What did you get? I'm waiting for a 12" Alkaid using the optics, finder and encoders from my 2005 vintage GSO solid tube dob.

Edit:
Now I noticed your signature saying it will be a 12" Canopus.
I attach a picture showing the particular Alkaid that is coming my way...

Attached Files

#14 starman345

starman345

Wait, I'm Thinking

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Beautiful scope Patrik, are those carbon fibre truss tubes or aluminum?

#15 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Thank you!

And I have to agree, even if I've yet to see (and use) it in person - I sure hope it arrives intact.

The trusses are aluminium (being in Europe, they can't be aluminum ;) ). I was given the option of two piece truss poles (shorter transport length but less stiff) or full length (longer, of course, but significantly stiffer), and I chose the full length alternative since I don't think I'll be doing airline travel with this scope. If I do, Michael can later sell me a separate set of two piece truss poles.

#16 steveyo

steveyo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

O god those Sumerian scopes are beautiful. I love the way they pack up into a neat rectangle.

#17 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

:bow: Yeah, gorgeous scope!

#18 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Dave.

#19 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the mention, Dave! Actually, it's a 10" F/5 we're working on that will be built in the "Travel Scope" vein of construction. No plans for a 12"/12.5" at this point, though. Information on the 10" is available in our latest semi-monthly newsletter:

New 10" Travel Telescope

Clear skies,

will you have one at NEAF?

#20 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hubble Optics has a variety of offerings in ultralights now:
14" F/4.6, 16" F/4.5 and F/5.0, and 18" F/4. They have various combinations of structure only, structure plus mirror, and structure plus mirror with GOTO.

http://www.hubbleopt...Lstructure.html

#21 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Yes, I know about the Hubble. I had a very good deal arranged for a 14" Hubble with sandwich mirror that unfortunately fell through. I was very excited at the prospect of a 14" Dob under 50 pounds with a seemingly decent quality mirror.

I don't think 10" will do it for me since I have a 8" Uti with Royce mirror. Just not enough jump up in aperture I suspect.

#22 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

Hi Patrick,

And here is my baby :jump:

So, 300mm Orion Optics 1/10 Hi Lux Primary with Ostahowsky 65mm 1/17 secondary, Feathertouch Focuser, Moonlite Filter Slide and Sky Commander.

Michael was kind enough on his own to upgrade the structure at no cost to the one used for the 350mm / 14" mirrors to afford me more stability, as my eyepieces are a bit on the heavy side.

I am extremely happy with Michael's approach in making this telescope, his thoughtful suggestions on various parts and his endless patience with my constant queries, always getting back to me very promptly and making the whole process stress free for me.

Now we both need to get our grubby little hands on our respective scopes, test them and report back to CN :grin:

CS,

Nicos

Attached Files

#23 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

I am extremely happy with Michael's approach in making this telescope, his thoughtful suggestions on various parts and his endless patience with my constant queries, always getting back to me very promptly and making the whole process stress free for me.

I fully agree that Michael was a pleasure to work with. Fast communication, and flexible. I had some "non-standard" wishes on encoder placement and stalk top design e.t.c., which were all nicely accomodated.

The tracking now shows both parcels having arrived at the local airport hub some 10 miles northwest of where I live. Delivery latest tomorrow, I think. And possibly time to clear away some snow from my preferred set-up spot... :)

#24 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Patrick, you will beat me to the punch! Mine should be delivered on Thursday or Friday. :cool:

Edit:

No snow shovelling here, it's 17 degrees C here and quite pleasant!

#25 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

Nicos and Patrick, Your Sumerians look beautiful. However, it is not fair that Patrick is probably having to try his out in -10C weather while Nicos is probably on a Greek island and enjoying 7C nights. The maker of those Sumerians is really adding to what is possible in a totally compact travel Newtonian. Good for both of you and hopefully clear skies. Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics