Photo

Do you go observing by yourself to ur fav place?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 bryguy27007

bryguy27007

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Setting aside issues of safety, my best observing memories are from a cross country trip with a 10 inch Dob. There is something about the solitude, under a dark sky, with the silhouette of mountains in the distance. Just you, the sounds of coyotes and 10's to millions of light years of distance. There is a magic to that, that nothing else quite reproduces.

Oh knock it off, you're making me anxious to get back out under the night sky (not in the city).

I would just like to add that I hate racoons, and they might be the only thing in the world that I hate. Always freak me out during my camping trips.

#77 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I observe alone... from my backyard :roflmao:

Honestly, I don't go out to dark sky locations. It'd be nice... but I don't want to pack up all the gear and drive.

#78 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hey, schweet "backyard" ya got there, Chris! Flipped thru your "shed" link... nice job.

Didn't see mentioned what your sky's "darkness" was- mag __?
Figured it must be pretty decent, if you're doing A/P...
:question:

#79 Matt Wallin

Matt Wallin

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I am lucky in that there is a state park with a hilltop picnic area that astronomers are allowed to use at night, for the usual $5 day-use fee, of course! They even have red lighting in the restrooms. I usually head up there alone, but if it's a decent night near the New Moon but you can usually count on a couple others up being up there too. Sometimes I'm alone at several of the other more remote and rustic sites, but with all the solo backpacking I've done, I know there aren't too many animals that I should fear in the night. I do have a CCW, and my 9mm is usually on my person when I'm not headed to the state park, but that is for the sketchy methheads you run across at strange hours in rural places. I have had some very enjoyable observing experiences with the guys I have met up at the park, but I also very much enjoy my solitude with the Cosmos too.

#80 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

I am lucky in that there is a state park with a hilltop picnic area that astronomers are allowed to use at night, for the usual $5 day-use fee, of course! They even have red lighting in the restrooms. I usually head up there alone, but if it's a decent night near the New Moon but you can usually count on a couple others up being up there too. Sometimes I'm alone at several of the other more remote and rustic sites, but with all the solo backpacking I've done, I know there aren't too many animals that I should fear in the night. I do have a CCW, and my 9mm is usually on my person when I'm not headed to the state park, but that is for the sketchy methheads you run across at strange hours in rural places. I have had some very enjoyable observing experiences with the guys I have met up at the park, but I also very much enjoy my solitude with the Cosmos too.

So if someone lists a 9mm in their sig, it could be a lot different than the 9mm in mine (ES100)? :lol:

Seriously though, I go observing with my observing buddy unless I am in my backyard or doing outreach. One day when I get my other 9 milli I can go out by myself :grin:

#81 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Matt, that sounds pretty cool . . . which park is it?

#82 steveyo

steveyo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Observing from my front yard at 1AM, I noticed three teenage/20-something young men (maybe slightly stoned or tipsy) approaching along the street, all much bigger than me.

But it was I who scared them when they noticed me. I immediately asked "Hey, you guys want to see something cool?" (I happened to be viewing Saturn, which maybe the single best object, especially for new observers.)

After looking, they said "Dude - that's baller." They were psyched, so I think "baller" means good.

I'm pretty comfortable with people, and I'm confident that almost everyone wants "to see something cool."

#83 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

That 9mm ES 100 could really hurt someone if you hit them with it.......it really is a dangerous weapon (in more ways then one). :bigshock:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics