Cloudy Nights and Better View Desired

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I see that CN has now become the caretaker of the Better View Desired reviews, which I have found to be a very good
resource, and now am wondering how to find them on the site?

#2 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

If you go to the classifieds page there is a link to BVD at the right hand side.

#3 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

If you go to the classifieds page there is a link to BVD at the right hand side.

I was directed to that site, but there is nothing there.

I was looking for a link to the original "BVD" reviews.

I do hope they will be put in a prominent place, and
easily found.

I suppose the next level of help here can advise.

#4 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Beerpuddle, Colorado

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Perchance, do you have a link to the url?

#5 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

The website address is/was www.betterviewdesired.com however it is not working today when I try it.

I hope it is being revised as part of Astronomics website upgrade. I see the old Christophers branch of Astronomics is gone too. :question:

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

Cloudy Nights became the caretaker of BVD almost 6 years ago.

Cloudy Nights at that time put out a call for reviiewers to write articles for the BVD webpagee. Noone steppedd up to the plate. It is probably seen as a duplication of service that is provided here, so I doubt you will ever see anything changee at BVD.
BVD becomes part of CN

edz

#7 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Here is another way to see the BVD reviews. Not as handy but it will get to main pages. Too bad there is not a
direct URL.

http://web.archive.o...viewdesired.com

#8 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

• Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'm not sure at the time this was posted on here [BVD becomes part of CN] if details of any loan of new model binoculars/spotters was made by anyone on here to be able to review. As far as duplication of service here, BVD was a site mostly dealing with daytime use of binoculars. Except for Scott B most binocular User Reviews on here deal with the night sky. All this might explain why no interest, or is this just me?

Any talk of daytime use of binoculars under the Binoculars thread under Equipment Discussions people complain about it, if it does not pertain to Astronomy .At least that is what I have noticed. I know there is always Cloudy Days , of which a lot of people don't know about, esp. after joining of CN after being a lurker and haven't ever saw that portion of CN.

#9 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hello Steve,

Yes,one of the possible reasons the Cloudy Days forum for daytime use of optics attracted fewer people than originally hoped was that,like the OFF TOPIC forum,for some reason it's existence was/still is kept hidden from view from the multitudes of non-members who visit the Cloudy Nights website every day as casual browsers.

I do remember the appeal to active members of the Cloudy Days forum,back when Astronomics took over BVD,for anyone interested in writing equipment reviews for daytime use of binoculars and scopes,to which I seem to recall only Brock and myself showed any interest.

Of course,once it became apparent any such items of equipment would literally have to be purchased by the reviewers,it quickly became a non-starter.

Kind Regards
Kenny

#10 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

• Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hi Kenny, Thanks for your reply. That would get expensive reviewing $2000 binoculars and spotters. If $2000 was like $2 for me I might of done it. I could of reviewed the Meade 7x42 Montana, that might of been within my budget. I see now these are back up to over $200.

#11 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Good to hear from you,Steve.

I had considered reviewing half a dozen different specimens of the Bresser 10x50(40) sold at Lidl supermarkets for £9.99,but figured readers may have got bored after reading the first four or five! :-)

#12 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Given the popularity of solar viewing/imaging, perhaps Cloudy Days should get more prominence? (pardon the pun...)
:grin:

I do not frequent Astromart so i am not familar with their bino offerings. Of course, the equipment sub-forums on Birdfrum are very busy. It does get pretty tough their, fanboy-wise though. Do not think it is moderated. :question:

#13 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

Looks like the direct URL is working again.

#14 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Thanks to those here, who now have made the link active
with a simple net search.

The Better View Desired reviews are a nice collection of
mostly older reviews (2005) and mainly from a terrestrial
perspective, but have a lot of value, for those who own
or who are looking at the purchase and usefullness of
classic optics.