CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Image Intensifier iPhone video of NGC891

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mpattern

mpattern

Explorer 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Inspired by the other recent videos posted in this forum, I was reminded of this video I took using my iPhone 4S.

It is of the galaxy NGC891. The clip was taken with 28" f/3.66 scope, a micro monocular equipped with a F9800K image intensifier, and an iPhone 4S. The video looks a lot like the real view at the eyepiece, maybe just a touch less contrast.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=f7hNQ3d3Rt0

#2 jdbastro

jdbastro

Messenger

• Loc: W. Coast

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

That looks great. Love that strong dust lane and large size. I assume that your big scope has auto tracking, right? What kind of telescope were you using - a large Dob?

#3 mpattern

mpattern

Explorer 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yep, the scope is a large dob and has a Servocat tracking system. The tracking made taking the video pretty straightforward!

I probably should have jiggled the eyepiece a little bit sometime during the video...gives one a better sense of what it is actually like looking through the scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics