4 replies to this topic

#1 joetattoo

joetattoo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi, All
Mostly through the information and expertise I've found on these pages, during the past year I've slowly been forming my collection, and if affordable, would really like to expand into viewing thin slice samples through a microscope. That is where my knowledge begins and ends. I've read that a polarizing stereo scope is what I need, but I don't even know how the term "stereo" pertains here. Also,are there places that sell prepared samples for viewing? I'm just a newbie looking for ways to further enjoy the hobby, so I can't justify spending as much as a good used car on a microscope. (my Wife's sense of humor about these things has definate boundaries. I'm still suffering for the last eyepiece I bought.) Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Best to all
Joe

#2 bob71741

bob71741

Apollo

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Joe - Norton's (and Chitwood) "Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites" has a section of about 36 pages on thin sections and microscopes; he also describes making your own simple petrographic microscope. If you do not own a copy, it might be worth it to check your local library.

#3 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi Joe,

The only real reason that you might want to get a polarizing scope is to view thin sections. Thin sections are specially prepared translucent samples of rock (meteorites) mounted on glass slides. Thin sections are very addictive, once you start looking at them, you will not be able to get enough.
Here is a photo of a thin section of Lodran:

Thanks,

Peter

Attached Files

#4 joetattoo

joetattoo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thanks, guys. I ordered Norton's book and the picture is awesome. Yes, I believe I'm addicted. Any suggestions as to dealers that sell the slides?
Joe

#5 oblako

oblako

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, guys. I ordered Norton's book and the picture is awesome. Yes, I believe I'm addicted. Any suggestions as to dealers that sell the slides?
Joe

This one for instance
http://www.impactika.com/TSlist.htm
BTW you need no special microscope. You only need a microscope with light from the top and from the bottom.
Then you take your thin section and place it between two filters http://www.amazon.co...04803FAK/ref... it will work just fine at least it does for me.

There's also other way to take images of thin sections. I have not tried it myself, but one person suggested the method he tried:
"An easy an inexpensive method that gives good results is to obtain two large Linear polarizer filters of about 72mm diameter and sandwich the slide between them. Place the sandwich on a light box (under $50 at Hobby Lobby), rotate one filter relative to the other until you get the desired effect, then photograph from above with your camera in macro mode."

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics