Mini-pier extension for CGEM-DX?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm going to use the head off my CGEM-DX mounted on a permanent pier in my observatory; once it's all finished. For some scopes I would like to get an extra bit of height, and for others, like my newt, less. Does anyone make an extension, or mini-pier for this mount? A similar product for the iOptron mounts looks like this:

Posted Image

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Orion's Atlas pier extension ... link

#3 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Oh thanks Mark! I didn't know it was the same form factor. :-)

Ordered!

#4 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Oh thanks Mark! I didn't know it was the same form factor. :-) Ordered!

Please report back once you get that extension installed. I'm interested, but not enough to risk $90+ to find out.

#5 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Sure thing Dave! :-)

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

The CGEM uses the same tripod mounting point as the Atlas/EQ-6. The CGEM-DX uses an adapter between the mount and the heavier tripod. The Orion extension is supposed to work just fine between the mount and the tripod adapter.

#7 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for clarifying that Mark. I should have waited before I bought it since my application is different. I am setting the CGEM head on top of an Omega II pier. BYO says they use Dan's Top Plates. If you look at the detail for the CGEM and the Atlas EQ-6 adapters ( CGEM/Atlas top plate ) they show the tripod mount point after the CGEM-DX adapter is in place. The Atlas extension looks like it is inserted under the CGEM-DX tripod adapter. So, the extender is only useful with the CGEM-DX tripod, no the CGEM head alone :-(

Or am I mistaken?

* looked at a LOT off google images.. Maybe ok? Wait and see....

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

John,

The Orion pier extension extends the base of the CGEM/Atlas mount, it simply replicates the top of the original CGEM/Atlas tripod.

The CGEM-DX uses the heavier CGE-Pro tripod with an adapter. Because of this tripod adapter I think you have a few options with one of Dan's pier plates.

1) You could buy the pier plate with the Atlas/CGEM adapter, the Orion pier extension then should bolt right up to that adapter, and then the mount on top of the pier extension. You'd leave the original CGEM-DX Celestron tripod adapter on the original tripod.

2) You could buy the pier plate for a CGE-Pro. You'd put the Orion pier extension between the CGEM-DX mount and the Celestron tripod adapter (just simply as if you were still using the tripod) and then bolt all this down onto the CGE-Pro compatible Pier plate.

I'm not sure which one would be the cheapest or easiest in the long run. I'd probably lean towards option #1 since it would incorporate one less adapter in the whole setup.

Another thought ... I'm assuming (always a dangerous thing ... lol) that you are having a pier support of some sort built to mount that Omega II pier. If so then why bother with the Orion pier extension? I would just make the pier support itself 6-8" taller (or order the Omega II that much taller) and not bother with any extra extensions. You'd still have the option of ordering Dan's pier plate in either the CGEM/Atlas version or the CGE-Pro version. Since you have a mount with the 1/2" center bolt you'll be using the additional mounting plate from BYO (again assuming), if so you'll have all kinds of height adjustment available from the 4 long bolts that attach that mounting plate to the top of the Omega II pier.

OK, this got kinda complicated option wise ... sorry about that. I hope though that it at least helps you to figure out what your options are. Ideally you'd want to have the least number of adapters and connections between the pier and your mount.

#9 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the in depth work Mark! I already have the Omega II here. I was thinking of putting an extender on the bottom, but that would be permanent. I was looking for something I could use optionally, so the Extension looked ideal. I'm not sure exactly what BYO provides in terms of adapters. There is an adapter/extension they supply that mounts on top of the Omega II that provide adaption to different mounts as well as fine running the level; it's merely two plates with bolts and a 4 inch gap. The adapter they use on top is from Dan's Pier plates, just without the pier plate. I 'might' be ok with what I've bought so far... But I really need to see it in my hands. The picture just not doing it for me.

On the brighter side, the interior of the observatory is nearly finished. Just need to install the track and motor, and finish up the electrical hookup to the house :-)

#10 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

The extension came today. It looks like exactly what I needed. The extension fits directly between the CGEM-DX mount and the adapter supplied with the tripod. Perfect! Thanks folks!

Haven't heard back from Scott yet. Wiring is almost finished. Was able to test the red lights tonight. Nifty! I used the same fixtures that Carol has, one set for red and another above it for white light. Both legs have dimmers. Looks awesome!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics