Photo

how to set up my edge11 for a mallincam?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Denver

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

I really am not sold with the hyperstar system, and wanted to be able to switch between eyepieces and mallincam (maybe I never use eyepieces again?), so was hoping I could just slap on a 3.3 reducer and have at it. will that work with the edge optics? I did a search and all I could come up with is using hyperstar for a video cam.

I realize that these cams aren't high definition like an image, so perhaps whatever aberations that are created by matching a simple sct reducer to an edge scope are minimal or not intrusive?

would I be better off getting a cheap 8" f/4 newt for my ASGT mount?

thanks in advance

Ed

#2 jujumaster

jujumaster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Ed,
i use a Mallincam Extreme on my Edge HD 11" all the time. I use everything from a 2x barlow for planets, to the hyperstar for M42, Andromeda, etc. I often use Rock's MFR5 focal reducer because it is probably the most versatile. The camera uses a 1.25" front end, so it swaps out easily with an eyepiece although the focus will be off. I haven't used an eyepiece in a long time. It's hard to go back after you see DSOs in full color and detail.

Thanks,
Ian

#3 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Ian,

THats what I wanted to know. my Edge is cpc mounted, so probably no really long exposures. I just want to try the video stuff without having to buy a $1000 hyperstar setup first. If I like it, I'll probably go that route- lots of naglers etc to fund that!

obviously there is no difference in the hyperstar mode, but do the edge optics make any difference in video setups?

thanks,

Ed

#4 jujumaster

jujumaster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

If you have the CPC, then you definitely want to go with a focal reducer. I really haven't noticed the Edge capability in action. I can get some vignetting if I push my focal reducer with more than a 10mm spacer between elements, but not in the standard configuration.

Ian

#5 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hmm, That starts to be the rub. I can buy a used CPC11 for around $1500, and use the cheap reducers and presumably get the same results, a $3.5k edge 11, plus a $700 edge reducer, all tfor no benefit over a used cpc11 and a $100 reducer. this is what tends to lead me to just buy a $200-300 used f/4 AT8 imaging newt or SN8 and slap it on my ASGT.

Hmmmm...

#6 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

The small chips in the mallincams work fine in everything from my ETX80 to my C11HD. The C11 edgegets used with a 3x barlow on planets and the mfr5 for deep space. I have used the mallincams with an 80mm F7.5 and AT6RC with and without the MFR5. Unless you are going to use a large format sensor the edge FR is probgably money wasted. The edge OTA is nice but really shine when a large FOV comes into play. They don't mzke much difference in the center of the view. The mallincams really are quite versatile so most any scope can be used with one. My eyepieces have not been used in a good long time.

#7 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

I use a meade 3.3 reducer with my C11-HD edge with great results.The chip is small enough to use the center of the
reducer,just get them close (reducer/MCX)..it works..
This is from y C11 F3.3 with a 1/3" chip (sdc435)...so the mcx will be a bit biger FOV and smaller subject.

Attached Files

#8 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

oooh I want to see that on my screen!

One other question- if I'm a cpc guy, and probably limited to 30 seconds or so, any reason to get the longer exposure cameras?

#9 JHilliard

JHilliard

Lift Off

• Loc: Florida

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

We can do up to 56 seconds using an LX200 in Alt/Az without out issue...most of the time we max @ 42 seconds...J

#10 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

That screen capture was a exposure of only 8 seconds (the longest that camera can go...on a EQ mount)..But you may get star trails in alt/az.

#11 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Here is a 56 second image using my CPC1100 with HyperStar and a MallinCam Color Hyper Plus

Posted Image

You will be limited to about a minute or less in Alt-Az due to field rotation.

Jack Huerkamp

#12 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Here is a 2.1 second Orion Nebula taken with the CPC1100 HyperStar

Posted Image

Jack Huerkamp

#13 Whoapiglet

Whoapiglet

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks For the pictures guys! unbelievable.

I knew I should have gone the video route a few aperture fevers ago! I'm reading all the camera threads I can, looks like a mallincam extreme or similar is in my future... I have been into DSLR photography for years, but didn't really want to open the whole AP bag of worms- this seems like a perfect compromise.

#14 Dwight J

Dwight J

Viking 1

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hey Jack: makes me want a hyperstar for my C11! Great images. I would like to see more of those despite my F ratio envy. :D

#15 jujumaster

jujumaster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

There are many DSOs you can reach in less than a minute. With moderate to severe light pollution, I have found that a filter is necessary (in my case UHC)which has more than doubled my equivalent exposure times.

For an AltAz or CPC configuration, you can get field de-rotators to help increase exposure length. I have not used them, but have seen them in action. They are not cheap, but they do increase integration ties... so it's all a big tradeoff.

Good luck,
Ian

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics