Photo

Jupiter 16 Feb 2013, NNTB dark spot outbreak.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Viking 1

• Loc: York, England

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hello again everyone.

I had planned to observe 2012 DA14 and Jupiter's Great Red Spot on Friday night, but despite a clear weather forecast the entire night turned out cloudy! So last night I ignored the weather forecast and just set my scope up under the beautifully clear sky and went inside to put the kids to bed. I came back out at about 8:45 and guess what? 100% cloud cover! Well after fifteen minutes the clouds went away again so I started to observe not knowing how long I would have, in the event it stayed clear all night and the seeing was very good indeed, the best I have had for many months in fact.

I have not really been keeping up with events on Jupiter this year, just getting outside and looking whenever I could, so I was quite surprised to see a string of tiny dark spots where the NNTB should be, I checked on Alpo Japan and it turns out that this is actually an outbreak which could trigger a darkening of the little belt. I was really pleased to see these and if it wasn't for the good seeing then it would have not been possible.
I also observed a large off-white oval just below this string of dark spots, in the southern edge of the north polar region.
I also (by chance again) caught white spot AB in the act of merging with white spot Z in the northern edge of the NEB, apparently they won't actually merge but will just squeeze past each other, possibly leaving some offspring in their wake.
Lastly the GRS wake provided fascinating viewing with a really churned up appearance on the left hand end of the SEB.

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Beautiful sketch: the balance between details and the soft render of the planet. I like it a lot. Those arrows are really helpfull for knowing where to look :waytogo:

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Chris,

This is a fine observation and an excellent piece of sketching. Your colors are very realistic in appearance and saturation.

Nice details-we'll have to keep an eye on the N North Temperate Belt and see what develops. The SEB disturbance following the GRS and the festoons are well rendered. Congratulations on the seeing that allowed you to see some of those other faint details like the ovals.

A really outstanding observation and drawing. :applause:

#4 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Oh wow! Simply sublime, Chris. I especially like the way you've drawn the colours. Absolutely stunning!

Peter

#5 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Superb sketch.

Andre

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Great work Chris,

Nice micro details - the GRS wake trailing off the globe is beautiful intiricate and the nntb having the morse code look is great. I did well with the GRS wake back on thanksgiving week but that more code look of the nntb eluded me. Norme with his 6" Mak did get the more code however.

The details here are phenomenal Chris.

Pete

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Chris,
Very impressive sketch of Jupiter. You were wise to stay with that sky and how wonderful that it gave you such fine seeing conditions after the cloud cover.
Your color sketching of Jupiter is truly amazing with wonderful details beyond any that I have seen this year or last.
You are a gifted sketcher.

Frank :)

#8 Tassydevil

Tassydevil

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Very nice work.

#9 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Viking 1

• Loc: York, England

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

thanks everyone.
the tiny dots in the nntb are new, only appearing in the last few days I believe. Check out John Rogers' report in the Jupiter section of ALPO japan.

#10 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Chris,

Very nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS.KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics