Filter shortage!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 deepspaceguy

deepspaceguy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Does anybody know why there is a shortage of Lumicon & Thousand Oaks 1.25 OIII filters? All the major suppliers are out of stock. :question:

#2 JeffBosworth

JeffBosworth

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Try Agena Astro Products. They show a Lumicon 1.25" OIII in stock. I usually go to Agena first for anything accessory since they have great prices and fast shipping.

Jeff

#3 JeffBosworth

JeffBosworth

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Agena also has very high quality Baader Planetarium OIII filters. Baader is my preference for filters in most cases, though Lumicon is also high quality. Baader filters are made in Germany to demanding specs and the coatings will last you a lifetime.

Jeff

#4 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Just a note... Lumicon prices are up by 20%. $120 for the 1.25" and $240 for the 2". Ouch.

#5 MDB

MDB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Looks like Don (Starman1) at EyepiecesEtc.com has Lumicon OIII filters 4ea. 1.25in. and 3ea. 2in. He also shows Televue and Baader OIIIs in both 1.25in an 2in.

Mike

#6 deepspaceguy

deepspaceguy

Explorer 1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Thanks all for the info.

#7 Lumicon

Lumicon

Vendor

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Just a note... Lumicon prices are up by 20%. $120 for the 1.25" and $240 for the 2". Ouch.

Yes, our prices are up 20% and they have not been raised in 13 years. Our filters are USA made unlike many others that are now being made in China.

#8 Lumicon

Lumicon

Vendor

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Does anybody know why there is a shortage of Lumicon & Thousand Oaks 1.25 OIII filters? All the major suppliers are out of stock. :question:

OIII's are in stock, ready to ship on our website.

#9 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

...and still the benchmark. I'm a Lumicon fan (OIII, UHC) and have no problem with the price increase. I will likely order a Deep Sky soon. I'm just pleased with the fact that Lumicon has survived the recent difficulties. :bow:

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

They don't make them better than Lumicon. And yes, I'll spend the few extra bucks BECAUSE it's made here.........

That aside though, what in space is going on with astronomy equipment mfg???? Seems nothing is available except the stock people have had on the shelf awhile, and all the really good stuffs gone (or way too expensive).

#11 deepspaceguy

deepspaceguy

Explorer 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Picked one up from Agena. Can't wait to try it out!

Steve

#12 ubermick

ubermick

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Rafael, CA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

So I ordered a variable polarizing moon filter from Lumicon back in March. At the same time, I ordered an O-III and NPB filters from DGM. The DGM filters arrived within a couple of days (and are great!) but after another week, I emailled Lumicon about my polarizing filter. After a couple of days, I received a reply telling me that they were back ordered, and if I had any questions, to not hesitate to contact them.

So I shot them an email back, saying "That's a bummer, my neighbor's kids wanted to look at the moon, so I ordered it for that, no biggie, shame it didn't say on your site that they were out of stock, any ETA on when they'll arrive?"

After two weeks, I shot them another email, this time a bit more forceful, pointing out that I ordered a filter from them a month prior, they had charged me for it, and therefore felt I was entitled to know when I'd be receiving it. The reply back I received said that Lumicon was currently redesigning their filters, they'd be shipping in about four weeks, and that they were worth the wait."

That was six weeks ago, and my latest email to Lumicon asking about an ETA has gone unheeded.

I know their filters are the gold standard, but the customer service here is shoddy to say the least. Granted it's just for a wee polarizing filter, but still...

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Lumicon reorganized when Scope City shut down (they shared facilities). They are now up and running again, I just got an OIII filter in a couple of days ago. They're worth the wait. Truthfully though, I don't use moon filters, a higher power eyepiece will dim the moon; also, if it's a moon night, thats what I concentrate on as most everything else will be washed out anyways, so I don't worry about night vision being affected, and truthfully, the moon is brightest to the naked eye, it only seems more bright in the scope......

#14 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

the moon is brightest to the naked eye, it only seems more bright in the scope ...

That depends on your definition of "brightness". The surface brightness of the moon will be the same as it is to the naked eye, but not the overall amount of light hitting your eye.

Imagine a flashlight aiming at you from 100 feet away. It will appear fairly bright, but its light is only occupying a small part of your view. Now take 10,000 of those flashlights and stack them into a wall of flashlights aiming at you from 100 feet away. The surface brightness (amount of light per unit area) is the same for the wall of lights as it is for the single light. However, you are now blinded by the overall amount of light hitting your eye.

The same occurs with the moon. The view through the scope cannot have a higher surface brightness than what you see with the naked eye. But it is as if you are stacking a bunch of those same brightness moons side by side until they fill your entire field of view. Which results in a lot more light hitting the eye.

That said, if your eyes can accommodate the incoming light and it's not uncomfortable for you, then viewing without a filter can provide better views. There's one less piece of glass in the optical path, and with your pupils smaller your eyes will usually experience a bit sharper image.

-Dan

#15 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Agreed! The first time I looked at a full moon with my 16" scope, Wow! It nearly knocked me over; much different than simply looking at the moon with the naked eye.

#16 ed_turco

ed_turco

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Very good point. People should pay more attention as to the country of origin on "cheaper" astro items.

Seems these days that folks want to save as much money as possible without thought given to the consequences of their purchases, namely, there are fewer and fewer optical companies that feature the "Made in the USA" label.

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Somewhere in Indonesia (think its there, but it's one of those countries) actually has a city named USA, that way they can put a "Made in USA" label on it. Belive it was on clothing.....

#18 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Somewhere in Indonesia (think its there, but it's one of those countries) actually has a city named USA, that way they can put a "Made in USA" label on it. Belive it was on clothing.....

That was a comedy movie "The Polotician"

#19 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yes, our prices are up 20% and they have not been raised in 13 years. Our filters are USA made unlike many others that are now being made in China.

I have a Lumicon Deep Space filter, I bought it new in 1987!
It is still perfect!!!
I just wish I could find a new Blue case, I lost mine in the night..

#20 Danman53

Danman53

Vendor (DGM Optics)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

There is? .... :shocked:

All right I did have a little bump in the road for the last week with stocking 2" NPB, but beyond that no problem here, and still the same price, made in the USA, and free USA shipping.

#21 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

No prettier sight than the Veil Nebula in my Lumicon Oxygen III.

Waxing romantic,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics