Photo

Anyone use one of these adapters with a Mark V?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 choran

choran

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Anybody every try one of these in a Mark V binoviewer? http://www.cloudynig...ct=74288&sor...
They are for sale in Cloudynights classifieds under "Binoviewers", and I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the use/need.
Anybody have one?
Thanks.

#2 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Interesting! Looks like two pieces; it replaces the Quickchanger dovetail system with a choice of either a 2" nosepiece or a thin collar. Maybe Denis can chime in. Looks like it will also increase the clear aperture up front. I am pretty tempted... :cool: Unfortunately it does not look like the nosepiece has filter threads to facilitate adding a barlow... :question: You would also have to figure out how to get the binoviewers to rotate with the thin collar. But I can see how using this would save some mm of backfocus which could be critical in a tight situation.

#3 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I have them in two different versions:

1. Alluminium (much lighter, especially than complete usually Mark V setup with 2" adapter)

2. special INOX (which I prefeer becuause....it is INOX... and bino has overall better impression of holding) - this adapter is approx same weight like usuall Mark V setup with 2" adapter.

Any of that adaptaters are more friendly with bino, so compact...it is like you are using regular 2" eyepiece, and putting it directly in 2" focusser! Once you screw it, it is done!

I like it MUCH, especially because I do not need to screwing every time with usually parts, and what I am affraid, especially in dark, when observing alone, or worse where here are my many friends, that bino drop on floor if you are screwing...or if bino is not well attached as it should be. It is very expensive and I like it VERY MUCH!

Of course, you can achieve much more precious back focus on any scope!

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I could see people that use a 2" diagonal using it, but I have a T2 prism that always leave on my Mark Vs.

If I want to use a 2" eyepiece, I just swap in a 2" diagonal.

I use Baader Clicklocks on the SCTs, so it just takes a moment.

I am super focused on keeping the light path short though. I would never use a binoviewer with a regular 2" diagonal.

But I could see people that aren't concerned about back focus issues could like this, though I don't know how this would be better than just using the Baader 2" nose.

But I never use a 2" nose directly on the binoviewer. Too much light path.

#5 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Not sure I get it - is the idea that you can avoid a diagonal altogether and mount the binoviewer with 2" nose into focuser tube for straight-through viewing (on a very tall mount!!)? Otherwise, as Eddgie points your back focus problems only get worse with a 2" diagonal vs. the T2 prism....

#6 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Especially on Newtonians, with this adapter you can achieve much more back focus than in any other existing Mark V setup!

#7 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

It looks like the shorter collar would allow you to attach the T2 prism diagonal directly so it would actually be shorter than the Quickchanger setup. Is that right Denis? But how do you remove the original dovetail? :question:

#8 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I do not understand first sentence....
Original dovetail you can remove with such tools thar you can squeeze dovetail enough to unscrew it!
I use vice tool or pliers!

#9 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Denis there is a small short adapter in the last photo, what is this for? I had assumed it was for use instead of the nosepiece and that you could screw the T2 prism into it, that's what I was referring to.

Or is that the old dovetail sitting upside down?

#10 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Denis there is a small short adapter in the last photo, what is this for? I had assumed it was for use instead of the nosepiece and that you could screw the T2 prism into it, that's what I was referring to.

Or is that the old dovetail sitting upside down?

This small adapter is unscrewed originaly metal part of MkV, and you replace it with 2" adapter!

#11 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

OK that clears it up thanks Denis. Well I really like that nosepiece, very cool!

#12 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

I think months how to make something like that, and there it is!
Last thing I will upgrade is 2" filter thread on back side to support filters and other things!
I love it SO much!

#13 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Ok, I get it now as well - thanks for the questions Johnny and thanks for the answers and design Denis

#14 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Here are more pictures...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

...two more interesting/usefull things:

-no more sticking problems with 2“ or 1,25“ adapter part when putting or pulling out bino in/out off focusser (this refers when your focusser have comprehension ring, and commercial 2“ or 1,25“ have slots), so with this adapter there is no such problem, because adapter glides in/out of focusser

--47mm Clear Aperture of adapter on telescope side, more than any other existing adapter for Mark V binoviewer – very usefull especially for fast scopes

#16 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Denis,

The adapter looks nicely made. In order to avoid internal reflections, I would suggest to finish it with a deeply-rilled surface on the inside, which may be painted with a flat black finish like this one.

Stephan

#17 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Denis,

The adapter looks nicely made. In order to avoid internal reflections, I would suggest to finish it with a deeply-rilled surface on the inside, which may be painted with a flat black finish like this one.

Stephan

I think about that, but owner of adapter will decide if this is needed, like also

Velours

or

Board paint

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics