• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AlbertaSun

AlbertaSun

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I just purchased an Orion Starshoot Autoguider camera and am having some difficulties getting it to work on my laptop I have gone through a frustrating series of loading drivers and software, uninstalling and loading the latest drivers and software etc. - all to no avail (I can provide details if someone out there has some ideas). This is all on a newer Asus running Win 7. The computer acts like the drivers have installed and the bright light comes on on the camera, however, when I select the camera in the PHD dropdown, I get "no Camera". Finally, wanting to troubeshoot the camera itself, I did an install on my home PC (also running Windows 7 on the same Intel processor). Everything worked just fine - first time.

I have also done a lot of web-searching and will continue to do so, and thought someone here might have had a similar experience and/or some insight to offer.

Larry

#2 AlbertaSun

AlbertaSun

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Well - thank goodness for son-in-laws with computer smarts. My son-in-law came by and had my problem solved in about 5 minutes. Looking at the properties for the program it seems that it always loads without the necessary privileges. We just went to the compatibility tab and checked the "Run this program as an administrator" box (it works fine on my home PC without this checked - go figure). Voila, everything worked. While he was here we updated the software & drivers and all is good. Maybe I can get the camera at least focused tonight. Cloudy again so not missing a chance to test drive it all.

Sorry to cry wolf (after 6 hours of pain) but maybe this will save some poor soul time and frustration down the road.

Happy again
Larry

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Ahhhh....that sounds like something that would happen to me! :grin: I can't tell you how many times I get a program and struggle with it, call support and they tell you that you need to do this and that. My stock question is, "why didn't you put it in the instructions?" What a pain!

David

#4 Bob Moore

Bob Moore

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

I just had this happen to me with a QHY camera. Uninstall everything, reinstall every thing, shut down the computer, re boot it and see if it works. I spent half a day installing, removing, reading, re installing, and so on. then i re booted and it worked.

#5 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Glad you got it fixed... yes, thank God for son-in-laws!

In Windows 7, if you right click on an icon, there is an option to:"Run as Administrator". That's always a good thing to try first.

#6 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

You're right about the QHY cameras, Bob. I had a large time with the first one I owned. I learned to download the drivers directly from the QHY homepage and follow the directions to the letter. If not, well, you know the drill!

David

#7 ghostrunner007

ghostrunner007

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yes that windows 7 run as admin problem, always the first thing I try. Where in alberta are you located albertasun

#8 AlbertaSun

AlbertaSun

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I will be trying the "run as Admin" tab a lot sooner next time.

I am in Red Deer - how about you?

#9 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Why not just set up the user as "administrator" to begin with?
This will avoid any of these issues.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics