Primary focus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 star chaser

star chaser

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

My 10" 1200mm f/4.7 Dob primary focus is flush with the optical tube so I am unable to attach my camera to the focus tube for primary photography.How far back will a barlow or coma corrector bring my primary focal plane so I can start using the telescope for primary photography? :bawling:

#2 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

That is a common problem with Dobs. Using a Barlow is a form of eyepiece projection. Just about any Barlow will work, but it shrinks the FOV considerably. With barlows you don't have to worry too much about a specific length behind the Barlow, however the further back the greater the magnification. That is not true with coma correctors as you need to get the correct distance as specified by the manufacturer. I was able to achieve true prime focus or more correctly Newtonian focus by moving my primary mirror up about 1.5 inches. This was done by simply replacing the collimation bolts. I replaced the 1in bolts with 2 in. After doing this I had to get a tube extender to use my eyepieces and had to do a serious collimation.

#3 star chaser

star chaser

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

thanks. I am trying to avoid changing the position of my primary mirror but maybe that is the best option.

#4 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

You can also try replacing the focuser with a low profile. I think the combination of a low profile focuser and coma corrector might get it for you. Moving the mirror is less expensive however.

#5 star chaser

star chaser

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Thanks again I will start doing my home work.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics