• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

I had good seeing here but was almost impossible to capture because of strong wind. First result:

Posted Image

Michal

#2 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Very nice result Michal, this is where the high frame rate possible with such a bright target as Jupiter really is an asset in windy conditions with the image moving around so much on the chip.

Well done.
Regards
Trevor

#3 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Very nice! Just don't let the scope blow away. :grin:

#4 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Outstanding!

#5 karlo

karlo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Yorkshire,UK, BLIGHTY !!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

very nicely processed- great pic !

#6 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Nice result, Michal. Jupiter looks great. I like the lunar images on the other thread, too.

Paul

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

Yes, a very good effort Michal :waytogo: - winds certainly make everything quite a lot harder if your scope is exposed to them..!

#8 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for comments.

I finished (for some time) with lunar shots and came back to Jupiter data. I processed animations but the gaps between AVIs were quite long due to conditions so to be so so smooth they have to be fast. I also tried to proces one Kraaikamp-style animation (not a 100% succes) and I am impressed how it helps to show the detail. I will try to find some time to do it also for G and maybe for B channels.

R animation

R Kraaikamp style animation

G animation

B animation

Michal

#9 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Super nice set of images/animation. Love it.

#10 Prodan

Prodan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Extra nice set of images/animation. Love it.

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Really like all the animations Michal.....the "Emil" style is a WinJupos-type if my memory serves me correctly..? :question:

Is that type explained in W/Jupos or on Emil's website :confused: - I wanted to investigate its' process myself not too long ago but forgot about it before I did so..... :lol:

#12 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Many thanks for your posts!

Darryl I do not know the answer - I do not use WinJupos for animations, they look artificial to me. I saw this "Emil" type presented by Emil on his page and do not remember if he writes something about it on his web page. I alligned frames manually and created some "interlaced" frames to be more smooth.

I reprocessed best set of RGB:

Posted Image

Now I will work on "Emil" type RGB animation.

#13 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

Lovely image, and animations!

Darryl, I believe it is an 'Emil' style animation, but perhaps I reinvented the wheel. But I never explained how it is done. Here is my time-consuming method:

I always just do them manually in Photoshop. Make sure all the images are there in layers (in the correct order), and start your way from the top by aligning them. Instead of aligning one image, it is easier to align 'all the others'. So make a selection of the frames to align, and turn the visibility of the frame to align to on and off, while using your arrow keys to place all the other layers such that the top of the bunch aligns with the frame you are turning off and on. Then if it the top of the bunch is correctly aligned, select all the frames below that and repeat the alignment procedure until you reach the bottom. You can chose which frame to use a reference frame, if you always use the previous frame, the animation often drifts off in one direction.

Then you turn this bunch of layers in an animation (again using photoshop, or other software you prefer).

Perhaps you can ask the author of WinJUPOS to implement a feature like this, and perhaps one day I'll make a program that can do this automatically as it is a bit of a pita.

#14 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

The reason why I like this kind of animation is that the animation can be quite fast and the central part where most of the details are is still easily "stacked" with my eye. And then even more detail is visible and noise dissapear. The problem is that browsers enable GIF animations fastest frame rate 0,02s. Thats why the color animation I processed roght now is correctly play-able just in GIF animator (for example Microsoft Gif Animator which is free). Here is link for the animation I am satisfied with:

RGB Animation 0,01s

The fastest animation for browsers is not so good as more noise is visible and can not be "stacked" so good with my eyes:

RGB Animation 0,02s

and finally here is version with braked first and last frames which were best of imaging session:

RGB animation

Classical animation is really worse in this case. Due to strong wind there is 8-9 minute between RGB sets somewgere...

Michal

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Michal, & Emil for taking the trouble to explain your methodology.....err, not sure whether I understand anything from your explanation Emil - my brain doesn't seem to be able to decipher what's different from "normally" making a stack of layers from your images and starting from #1 and working through by aligning each subsequent image onto this first one etc.....just treat me as "thick" :lol: - any chance of further explanation..! :grin:

#16 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I gave a try to winjupos, firstly just because I wanted to created smoother Emil type animation, but after measurement of 9 RGB pictures I tried to compile them and the result is much better then just derotaion of single RGB channels to one color image. I was really surprised!

This is compilation of 9 derotated RGB pictures (the whole session, 27 AVIs in one picture):

Posted Image

And processed one "Classical" animation. Every frame (from 6) is compilation of 4 neighbouring RGB pictures.

Animation

I lost very end and start of the animation, but details are much better.

Now I will try to create and insert some frames between these 6 and roll one Emil/Winjupos style animation.

Michal

#17 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Excellent Michal - if I read you correctly you are saying that you placed the colour (ie, combined rgb) images into WinJupos and measured these then combined them for this image above..?

I have done similar (if that is what you did) and haven't found any problems with doing it this way.....in fact, in my latest tute edition I comment on this method because it is probably easier for a lot of people to do it this way than measuring every single-channel image etc.....as well as for those using colour cameras also! :)

The animation is also excellent!!! :applause: :applause:

Looking forward to seeing the "Emil-type" animation..! :)

#18 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Yes you get it right Darryl. And thank you for your post.

#19 CanaryMax

CanaryMax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gran Canaria, Spain

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Excellent work, a fine processing.

#20 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thank you CanaryMax.

I think I finished wit this data. Here is the final animation in 2 versions. Individual frames of animation are derotated compilation of 4 neighboring RGB images. From 9 RGB images (27 AVIs) the result was 6 frames. (1st to 4th RGB set frame No1, 2nd to 5th RGB set frame No2...).

between these 6 frames I (winjupos) calculated 5 frames to reach higher density of animation and results are here:

RGB Animation

RGB Emil syle animation

This Emil style rolling animation was not aligned manually by layering in photoshop. According to idea from member KpS I calculated their exact position with subpixel accuracy, and it was pretty easy as results from winjupos are named with calculated timestamp.

Michal

#21 martus

martus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

Excellent animation Michal! very well done :waytogo:

Regards,
martus

#22 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Excellent!
my friend took one week to finish his "Emil Style" jupiter."Emil Style" is really tough and need to be patient :)
PS:may I share your great image in Facebook here?
https://www.facebook...stronomyCameras

#23 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Definitely yes Sam. I will be proud if you display my image!

#24 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

#25 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:40 AM