• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Any takers out there? I can only experience this scope vicariously through you. :)

Having just bought one of their appreciation sale SVR90Ts it's not even in the realm of possibility. Maybe if Vic had advertised these before the SVR90Ts went on sale... :question:
...Keith

#27 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm actually considering ordering one, and selling my now-perfectly-functional-but-tattered used unit.

It would actually be about the same total investment as me keeping, stripping, refurbishing and repainting this OTA and buying a carrying case for the OTA, and it would get me a slightly better focuser to boot.

Haven't decided yet, but if I do, I'd go either midnight or white.

- Jim

#28 Rich_W

Rich_W

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

It sure is tempting, isn't it? I acquired mine a couple of years ago (sn 003, excellent condition) and it is a prize. Even so, I couldn't help but dream about adding one of these last of the breed.... although, when I looked at my checkbook, I woke up.

#29 Chris G

Chris G

Aurora

• Loc: Jackson, MI

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

I had an SV115 in Midnight Stardust, loved that color.

#30 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Jim , I am glad it all worked out .
On the packaging , I got a 2inch dielectric diagonal off a fellow across the Australian continent last year and it arrived in a post bag !!! with no bubble wrap ! Zip .
It was broken ,,,
Some people have no idea ??
Brian.

#31 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Happy B-Day, Chris G, by the way.

:grin:

- Jim

#32 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

-Jim
On the other hand, now that my lady has some mileage on her and a few dings and nicks (don't we all :grin: ) I feel that I can use her with impunity and the few hundred dollars I overpaid based on her sad state when she arrived will become naught but a distant memory.

Well put. There is a profound truth to this imo:
You will be reminded of and live with the quality of your purchases, for years to come but the price will soon be forgotten.

Btw. I too had a hanging dewshield on a brand new scope of mine and did the same fix you did. I exchanged the in between felt with a strip of
a new microfiber kitchen table wipe. It works as a charm. I probably wouldn’t have figured to do so without the help from your tread. Thanks.

It is great to hear your scope is now performing, it sounds excellent.

#33 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Didn't APM/Markus just advertise recently on Amart that he had a few of the LOMO 80/480 OTA's for $1399 with feathertouch? Wouldn't this be the better buy?

#34 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

This is the announcement from APM; Markus says the LOMO objectives are available with a choice of tube and focuser starting at $1390. Would that include the pictured 2" FT, or an Asian import?

This was their previous offering:

APM/LOMO 80/480 CNC w/2" focuser

I wonder if APM is offering the 2.5" FT R&P the SV includes as an option; they have used the FT 2" crayford previously.

The SV CNC clamshell is a much nicer piece of work than the APM "pipe clamp" style clamshell, FWIW.

It would be nice to see the list of options APM is offering but I don't see anything on their site. Built to suit, I suppose...

The new SV80S is a "dresser" version of the old SV80S that wouldn't be considered a "value" scope. I imagine just the fancy wood case alone adds quite a bit to the package price!

Rich

#35 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Why not go ALL THE WAY then with this...

http://skylight.mysh...ight-special...

...price is about the same, even less without options. Hey, if you're gonna spend it, SPEND IT!!!:grin: I already spoke to Richard at SkyLight when Markus advertised, he can make one. ;)

#36 Chris G

Chris G

Aurora

• Loc: Jackson, MI

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Happy B-Day, Chris G, by the way.

:grin:

- Jim

Thanks Jim.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics