CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

All's well that ends well (SV80S)...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia, Canada

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Any takers out there? I can only experience this scope vicariously through you. :)

Having just bought one of their appreciation sale SVR90Ts it's not even in the realm of possibility. Maybe if Vic had advertised these before the SVR90Ts went on sale... :question:
...Keith

#27 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm actually considering ordering one, and selling my now-perfectly-functional-but-tattered used unit.

It would actually be about the same total investment as me keeping, stripping, refurbishing and repainting this OTA and buying a carrying case for the OTA, and it would get me a slightly better focuser to boot.

Haven't decided yet, but if I do, I'd go either midnight or white.

- Jim

#28 Rich_W

Rich_W

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

It sure is tempting, isn't it? I acquired mine a couple of years ago (sn 003, excellent condition) and it is a prize. Even so, I couldn't help but dream about adding one of these last of the breed.... although, when I looked at my checkbook, I woke up.

#29 Chris G

Chris G

Aurora

• Loc: Jackson, MI

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

I had an SV115 in Midnight Stardust, loved that color.

#30 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Jim , I am glad it all worked out .
On the packaging , I got a 2inch dielectric diagonal off a fellow across the Australian continent last year and it arrived in a post bag !!! with no bubble wrap ! Zip .
It was broken ,,,
Some people have no idea ??
Brian.

#31 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Happy B-Day, Chris G, by the way.

:grin:

- Jim

#32 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

-Jim
On the other hand, now that my lady has some mileage on her and a few dings and nicks (don't we all :grin: ) I feel that I can use her with impunity and the few hundred dollars I overpaid based on her sad state when she arrived will become naught but a distant memory.

Well put. There is a profound truth to this imo:
You will be reminded of and live with the quality of your purchases, for years to come but the price will soon be forgotten.

Btw. I too had a hanging dewshield on a brand new scope of mine and did the same fix you did. I exchanged the in between felt with a strip of
a new microfiber kitchen table wipe. It works as a charm. I probably wouldn’t have figured to do so without the help from your tread. Thanks.

It is great to hear your scope is now performing, it sounds excellent.

#33 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Didn't APM/Markus just advertise recently on Amart that he had a few of the LOMO 80/480 OTA's for $1399 with feathertouch? Wouldn't this be the better buy?

#34 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

This is the announcement from APM; Markus says the LOMO objectives are available with a choice of tube and focuser starting at $1390. Would that include the pictured 2" FT, or an Asian import?

This was their previous offering:

APM/LOMO 80/480 CNC w/2" focuser

I wonder if APM is offering the 2.5" FT R&P the SV includes as an option; they have used the FT 2" crayford previously.

The SV CNC clamshell is a much nicer piece of work than the APM "pipe clamp" style clamshell, FWIW.

It would be nice to see the list of options APM is offering but I don't see anything on their site. Built to suit, I suppose...

The new SV80S is a "dresser" version of the old SV80S that wouldn't be considered a "value" scope. I imagine just the fancy wood case alone adds quite a bit to the package price!

Rich

#35 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Why not go ALL THE WAY then with this...

http://skylight.mysh...ight-special...

...price is about the same, even less without options. Hey, if you're gonna spend it, SPEND IT!!!:grin: I already spoke to Richard at SkyLight when Markus advertised, he can make one. ;)

#36 Chris G

Chris G

Aurora

• Loc: Jackson, MI

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Happy B-Day, Chris G, by the way.

:grin:

- Jim

Thanks Jim.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics