• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hi All.....

For 2013, my astronomy friend, Gary is doing his monthly astro talk, in one of our usual local library...

Unfortunately, this is not conducted over the weekend, but during one of the weekday evening time...
And this is followed by a night side walk event , if weather permits....

I did not attend Gary's successful January astro talk and side walk event as I am working oversea....

But for tonight's February astro talk and side walk event, I managed to take my annual leave, to support my friend Gary's astro talk....

And as of now which is just couples of hours away from the astro talk and side walk event, it seems that the weather is still cooperating well, as the past 2 weeks, in our South East Asia regions have been facing with daily heavy downpour..., and one of our member is going to setup a solar scope for the side walk shortly.....

I am getting myself prepared in another hour or two, before setting off , to the local library area.....
And hope this evening is going to another success side walk, although is being carried out on a Monday evening.....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#2 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hi All....

As I just returned from the 4 hrs session of astro talk and side walk event...., and after unpack, took a few hours of sleep, before I get back to work again, just glad to put down last night another successful event...............

3 hours prior to this planned event, heavy downpour is all over our small island city...

Like previous occasion, I decided to load my astro equipment , while the rain has not stopped...

And when I reached the public library, the astro talk already started....

In this astro talk, Gary touched mainly on selection of the different types of telescopes...and binocular....
And our team even have displayed their telescopes and mounts , in the astro talk, so that those who are attending can physically see the astro equipment.....

After the one and a half hour of talk , we stepped out of the library, and the rain has stopped , and the sky also cleared up , with Jupiter very closely chasing the 9 days old moon....

Two of our team members quickly assist me to the public car park, which is 200M away from our observing site...to unload my astro equipment, and I spend less than half an hour just to setup my 152 APM ED APM onto my G11 losmandy mount....

This time we faced a problem with the observing site ,as there are contractors dismantling the tents and structures, as such we can only use a sector which allow us an hour or more of observing Jupiter and the 9 days old moon, before they disappear behind the building....

Photo shows the crowds queuing behind my telescope.....and we are doing our side walk beside the structures while the contractors are busy dismantling them....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#3 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

This is another photo showing the crowds behind the scope....

Attached Files

#4 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

As the crowds is not big this time, already many of them starts to snap photos with their hand phone, on the 9 days old moon....

Attached Files

#5 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

After around one and a half hour, when Jupiter disappeared behind the building, we moved to another spot, to continue our side walk session.....

Attached Files

#6 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Over this side, I am fortunate this time, one of the astro member, even assisting me to explain to the crowds that continue to queue behind my scope...

Attached Files

#7 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

And lastly with myself posting behind my scope towards the end of the session, before I dismantled my astro equipment, and loaded them into my car, go for my late supper, and then heading home....

Thank you.....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#8 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hi ALL...

One month already past, and tonight is again my friend, Gary's monthly astro talk at the local library, and this will be followed by a side walk....

This month topic, is what everyone watching in this month of March.....Panstarrs comet arrival...

Yes Gary's free public talk is :- COMET HUNTING IN SINGAPORE

As usual, I will support his outreach event by participating in the side walk activities after his talk...

And with 2 to 3 hours to go, weather looks promising, and tonight I will bring along my 10" Mewlon...and hopefully Jupiter with its great red spot transiting at 8pm , our local time, will give everyone another memorable night....
Also this week is the beginning of our school 1st term holiday, we expect many school students be there to join in this side walk event....

Will give everyone an update after tonight's event....

REgards

James Ling

#9 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

Hi ALL....

Following is a brief report on our last night, monthly astro talk cum side walk event......

1. Weather is really very unpredictable.....
When is 5pm evening time, heavy downpour hit my area, which is 20km away form the event site....

2. And I could only start to load my equipments when is around 7pm......

3. By the time I reached the place, is already around 8pm.... And I missed my friend Gary's astro talk....

4. The photo taken by my other astro friend, Alfred ( The man with a roof top observatory ) shows this time the lecture room is packed.....with more than 50 participants comprising mainly parents and their children, since this is the beginning of our one week school holiday...

Regards

James

Attached Files

#10 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

5. Gary's talk lasted for one and a half hour, and when I started to setup my 10" Mewlon with my losmandy G11 G2 mount, the people from the talk are just nice, finished the talk, and out to join the side walk.....

6. By the time I have setup the scope, the queue is very long, so i just slew the Mewlon to Jupiter......without any star alignment,,,,,,, And surprisingly the losmandy G11 G2 tracks beautifully.........., and I never need to use the hand controller to adjust the drifted view .

7. Jupiter is already setting , and at around an elevation of 60 deg, we have only less than one and a half hour to enjoy the view before it vanished behind the tall building.....

8. Last night view of Jupiter and its 4 moons are really nicely framed in my eye piece at 150X, to show to the public.....

9. Below is a photo, again from Alfred, showing the big crowds of people, circling our 4 scopes.....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#11 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

10. And this photo shows me explaining to the public , on what to look into the eye piece , at Jupiter and its 4 moons.....

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

#12 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:16 AM

11. last night, although we started late, but we have around one over hours at Jupiter, and by the time around 10.13pm, it disappears behind the tall building, I point the scope at the 7 days old moon.....

12. And the view form the moon through the 10" mewlon is so terrific, that the last 45mins, till 11pm, the public are using their hand phones to snap the pictures through this scope....

13. Following is a photo shot by Gary using his HTC hand phone....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#13 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

14. By the time is 11pm, there are still around 10 person beside my scope, I tried to see whether I can use the G2 GOTO to show them some DSO objects...

15. Surprisingly, after my 2nd alignment (1st one is the moon) to Sirius, I am able to use goto to following DSO within the 55mm TV ep, at 55X...But I end up using the 30mm meade 2" ep from my friend, to get a darker background....

15.1 M42, trapezium and the nebula clouds is very distinct under a highly polluted sky....

15.2 M50, heart shape cluster is also very clear...

15.3 M59, butterfly cluster really showing the 2 triangles which looks like the wings of a butterfly...

15.4 There a few more, but I could not remember the NGC number....

16. After showing some of the DSO, I packed up my equipment , and rush back home as it is already near to midnight time....as well as the next morning , I need to wake up at 6am, and rush to work....

17. Lastly I want to say I really enjoyed last night side walk, and as this is a monthly affair, as such i will be looking forward to the April one, and by then Saturn will be near to opposition..

18. Thank You.....

Regards

James Ling

#14 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hi All....

I would like to update our monthly astro talk cum side walk activities......

This month of April, on last Monday night, we have our astro talk and side walk conducted, and following are some updates from me....

1. This time , I brought along my C14, as it will be great to show the giant gas planet saturn to the public....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#15 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

2. As usual I setup my Losmandy G11 with the light weight tripod at this bright hosing estate......

Attached Files

#16 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

3. This is my complete setup for the night observation....
And the crescent moon is just at the background.....of this photo....

Attached Files

#17 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

4. And you can see how the public enjoyed looking through the eye piece of the C14......

Attached Files

#18 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:26 AM

5. This is another shot.....
My ladder proves to be handy for smaller kids.....

Attached Files

#19 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

6. This photo shows the public queuing behind the telescope.....

Attached Files

#20 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

7. And towards the end of the session, when Saturn is high up in the sky, one of my astro friend , using his camera and taking both photo and video shot of the giant gas planet Saturn at 450X.....You can see the planet Saturn in his lCD screen..... :lol:

Attached Files

#21 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

Last Monday night, we really have a wonderful session, and tonight , we have another astro talk and night observation session at one of our reserve army club...
As for the latest update, the seats for tonight's astro talk already being signed up....and with 3 more hours to go, the weather is still a blazing hot day ..... so tonight should be another successful event....

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

#22 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

James, Congratulations for the wonderful things that you and Gary are doing. Opening the sky for so many people, in such a challenging environment, are tremendous examples for the rest of us.

#23 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi Jim...

Thanks for your comments and encouragement.....

We started only doing side walk, and then Gary is able to get the local library to allow us to promote astronomy through monthly talk, and now another venue, which is one of the clubs for national reserve personnel like myself....

Hi ALL....

Although last night weather turns horrible during the viewing session, but the public still manage to get some views of the moon and Saturn when visibility is possible...

I even have a friend who calls me up whether to come down, since the weather is bad...And I told him to wait until near to midnight, and surprisingly, by that time, when Saturn is high up, is shinning bright, and he and a few of those who stayed behind are able to view the giant gas planet at 450X.....

And last night started off with a very good turn out for the astro talk...
And many of our local astronomy club members also came and support this planned event...

Most of them, I only knew through their names in the local astronomy forum, but is my first time I met them....And they are younger than when I started off 15 years ago...

Once I have those photos for last night event sent from my astro friends, I will posted it here..., as I usually spent all the time manning my own telescope. for the whole duration....

Regards

James Ling

#24 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hi All...

Following are the highlights on the astro talk and night gazing, done two weekends ago at one of our club house....

And the photos are from one of our astro member, Yuan Huan....

1. This is the first time Gary conducted numerous astro talk, not only the seats are fully occupied, some late comers need to stand and listen to his interesting and participative presentation...

continue...

Attached Files

#25 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

2. While the talk is on-going, a few of us , who brought along our telescopes , quickly setup for the public, at a nearby big court, the size of two basketball court....
You can see the queue of people from the middle of the basketball court, all the way to the building door way....in this photo...

continue....

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics