2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

3. This is another shot taken by another astro member, Guang Wei....showing kid can just use the ladder to see through the C14.....

continue....

Attached Files

#27 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

4. This is another group of astro members setting up the C6R F5 ...... And surprisingly, the moon through the ep is very sharp and crisp , although can see the CA.....

continue....

Attached Files

#28 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

5. This photo shows the young man and his kid looking through the ep of my astro friend Alfred's 5" triplet, at the moon...
And he is the one that I am using his roof top observatory for those recent scopes shootout.....

continue...

Attached Files

#29 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

6. And over another corner, another non tracking scope is also setup for the public to view at Saturn..., which is very low .....

continue....

Attached Files

#30 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

7. This is another photo showing the two kids at the scope....
and is pointing at Saturn.....

continue....

Attached Files

#31 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

8. This one showing me explaining and showing the small little girl to get her eye into the ep onto the planet Saturn...and I think the man behind is his father...

continue.....

Attached Files

#32 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

Although the weather for this side walk is very bad, and heavy clouds covered the whole sky.....

We still manage to do some visual on both the moon and Saturn.....

The crowd attendance is much higher than the last few side walk we did at the local library....
But as this is within a club compound, the event only last until around 10.30pm....and the public went back...

But a few of us stay until 12midnight, just to get the best view from Saturn, and again my, astro friend Gary's 10" dob gives a very nice view that even rivals my C14......

As this event come to an end....
Another one , which is just 2 weeks away, we will have another astro talk and side walk event at the local library again.......

Regards

James Ling

#33 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Its nice that you are doing outreach. We need more astronomers with your motivation.

#34 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hi Ray.....

Thanks for your comments....
And I am sure my friend Gary and the team will continue to promote side walk astronomy in our small country and light polluted city....

And I really envy both you and Jim , which have big 18" teeter dob...., which is also my dream to acquire similar aperture in the near future, but perhaps can only go for smaller aperture, coz of transportation issue.....

Regards

James Ling

#35 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yep, nice of you to get your scopes out for people, they probably don't even notice the sky otherwise, with that much light pollution. And they don't know what they're missing.

#36 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hi George.

You are right...many people thought that in such a heavily light polluted city, whereby they could hardly notice stars in the night sky, yet when we can show them the planets, they are very surprised...

And after we have been there for more than 2 years, there are still people who don't believe our equipments are able to see these objects that they only seen in TV and books or magazines....

And I am looking forward another side walk in one week....time....

Regards

James Ling

#37 bluesteel

bluesteel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

James,
You are doing a fantastic service to the human race! I applaud you for sharing the views of the cosmos, and wish you luck on your future viewings!

#38 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Hi Bro...

Thanks for you comments...

Our next monthly astro talk and side walk will be next week, 20th Monday...and hopefully the weather will not be affecting this event....

And as I am quite busy now with some house renovation works, I may only either just attend to support my astro friends, or bring a small scope , like the 152 APM ED APO, instead of the C14....on this coming 20th planned event..

REgards

James Ling

#39 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi ALL....

1.This is an update on our last Monday night astro talk and side walk event held at the local Library and the open area......

2. Surprisingly, after a terrible morning thunderstorm, the sky starts to clear up, and the evening sky is great for another night event....

3. I reached the place around 7pm, and started to do my equipment setup while waiting for the astro talk to finish....

4. Everything is as usual, as I did so many times, and this time I brought along my 152 APM ED APO....
And when the talk is over, I power up my losmandy G11 G2, then I realized something is wrong with my controller..... :confused:

5. Coz all my previous setting are gone, and the quick start menu is missing.... :foreheadslap:

6. I redo the manual input data all over again....but the G2 couldn't slew to the object i used to do so previously.....It keep slewing round and round, while all the people queuing behind my scope are anxiously waiting to look at Saturn....through this 6" refractor.... :question:

7. I powered it down, and re-powered the controller, but all my previous input data is gone....and I need to do it all over again....
And when I know the Goto is not responding.....during my 2nd test.....OMG... :tonofbricks:

8. So as I am desperate to get the scope going, after I input the data the 3rd time, I manually move the scope to the moon for the finder alignment, then I move it to Saturn, and at 150X with the baader zoom, and at last I managed to let the long queue of people to look through the eye piece , the beautiful giant gas planet....

9. Below is a photo taken by my astro friend, Dave, while I am setting up the scope... and people watching me...

continue....

Attached Files

#40 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

10. This is another photo shot showing the queue to my APM ED APO...The actual queue is about 20M....

continue....

Attached Files

#41 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

11. As Saturn is already quite high, in our equatorial region, a chair become handy for some to sit down and watch comfortably....like the following photo....

continue....

Attached Files

#42 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

12. here are more photos taken.....from the public when they looked through the ep......while I am now more relax, talking to one of my astro friend....Simply the mount is tracking beautifully....So i didn't need to do any cursor adjustment for the 2 hours...

continue....

Attached Files

#43 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

13. The sky condition is so good that just after 20 mins of viewing at Saturn, I already able to power up my scope using the baader zoom with a 2X barlow at 300X.....

14. You need to be there in order to see how nice is Saturn, with a very dark and distinct cassini division.....

continue....

Attached Files

#44 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

15. For this side walk, we only have 2 telescopes, and the other one is my astro Friend Gary's 10 inch Dob....

16. The 10" Dob is pointing to the moon, and the people over there, are not just enjoying the view, but also using their hp to take a shot of the moon through the ep.....

17. Below picture shows both scopes in action....

continue....

continue.....

Attached Files

#45 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

18. Although the side walk session is only until 10pm, but there are still many people waiting for the moment for the 152 APM ED APO to be powered up to higher magnification, in order to use their hp to take some photos through the ep....

19. photo shows my astro friend Dave, using his digital camera to take photos of Saturn, after I powered it up to 500X.....(using 4.8mm nagler with 2x barlow)

20. Saturn visually at 500X is still crisp and clear through the APM ED APO, but in very light tone, but the cassini division is still dark and sharp....

continue....

Attached Files

#46 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

21. In fact the best view is using my 9mm nagler with 2x barlow at 267X....

22. This is from 2 young girls using their hp to take the photo from the scope...

continue....

Attached Files

#47 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

23. Finally we finished and packed up around 11pm, have some snacks at the 24 hrs Macdonalds outlet, and then left the place around 12am....

24. Again is another successful night with more than 75% turn out for the astro talks, even is during school examination period....and also huge crowds of people queuing up to look through our telescopes at the Moon and Saturn......

25. And the next one will be 17th June 2013, and hopefully my 8" Istar will be there again , and this time, with the chromacorr 2.....

Regards

James Ling

#48 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:53 AM

Hi All....

Is almost 3 months that I did not update in this outreach forum.....

Is not that our outreach members stopped while we are facing with the regional haze from Indonesia fires..., and also followed by heavy rain and cloudy sky....

Our last 3 monthly astro talk still continue at the regional library, and they are all very successful with good turnout , almost taking up most of the seats in the allocated lecture room...

Except the poor weather conditions are affecting all the 3 side walk sessions , after the astro talk....
Due to work load, I only attended one of the July session, and knowing the poor weather, I just brought along my new LCM 114.....

Although there is nothing much to see for that night , but those who stayed behind still enjoy the hazy moon through the LCM 114.....

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

#49 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

Hi All....

Sometimes astronomy outreach may not necessary requires a good and clear weather......
Just look at the turn out from this small group , on that super hazy and cloudy night, the crowds are still enjoying , looking through our 2 simple telescope setup for the night....

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

#50 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

Hi All...

And coming 17 August 2013, Saturday night, we are organizing another important astro talk cum observing session at one of our army club house.....

My plan for this coming side walk will be my most treasured 8" F8.8 Istar.... which I have already pulled back form my friend's roof top observatory....

I just hope the weather on that night will be a good one, as there will be the Moon and Saturn for all to look through my Istar.....

Will keep all of you updated...

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics