2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

That is one beautiful scope. Are you ever able to get it out to dark skies? I've seen a lot of pics of your outreach activities, just wondering if you ever get it out where it really will strut it's stuff.....You always seem to have large, nicely behaved crowds there...and everything seems so clean.....I have no doubt your efforts have created many budding astronomers.....Good for You!!

#52 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

Hi Randy Ice...

Thanks for your valuable comments....

Yes... this scope has been to some darker sky outside our heavily light polluted city, but not very dark area, coz the organized oversea trips are mainly for students. so safety is one of the consideration...
And following utube is one of the oversea trip I downloaded into utube....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CN1XZO2fDIk

The coming oversea trips already been planned for month of September and October, and I may participate in one of them...

As for our local side walk, quite a number of our members are very actively involved, whereas I could only participate whenever I have the time available....since I am working oversea...
But for this coming 17th August, I will be there even I am late from my return form oversea trip...

Regards

James Ling

#53 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hi ALL....

Is another 7 more hours, and I am going to participate at my astro friend's organized astro talk and side walk, tonight at one of our army club house....

As of now, the weather looks good and I am making preparation to load up my astro gears for this planned event....

Hope tonight will be like our previous planned event, few months ago ,whereby we held it at the same place, with numerous crowds, although the weather is not very promising....

Tonight is also my first public test out of my 8" ISTAR with chromacorr II, and I will see how well it performs at the 11 days old moon, and of course not forgetting the giant gas planet, Saturn......

Will give an update , after the event.......

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#54 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hi All.....

Following are the update from last weekend astro talk and side walk activities at our army club house....

1. As usual, I do not attend the talk, instead spend the time to setup my 8" ISTAR and G11 losmandy mount.

2. And once the ISTAR scope is mounted onto the losmandy mount, I quickly align it to the 11 days old moon, which like previous setup, the crowds are waiting anxiously to look through this giant refractor...

continue...

Attached Files

#55 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

3. Although initially the weather is very cloudy, but after around 30mins of observing, the weather improves, and the clouds become fast moving, and we can get bright clear view of the 11 days old moon.......

4. And the brightness is so bright and glaring from the 8" ISTAR, that I need to put my polarizer...

continue...

Attached Files

#56 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

5. After an hour into the viewing session, Saturn becomes visible as the clouds have cleared, so I quickly move the scope to point at Saturn. (photo attachment)

6. Although Saturn is setting, is around 40 deg, and seems a bit hazy , but that did not stop me from pushing the power up to 450X with my 4mm eye piece...

7. Saturn may not look great, but the 2 moons beside saturn is very clear, although cassini division is not razor sharp, and the cloud bands are faint....

continue...

Attached Files

#57 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

8. We have less than an hour of viewing time at Saturn until the clouds covered it again, and is also blocked by the building....But that did not stop the people from enjoying this viewing session...And my ladder become handy for kids....

continue...

Attached Files

#58 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

9. After I switched the view back from Saturn to the moon, many people start to use their hand phone to snap photos of the 11 days old moon....

continue...

Attached Files

#59 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

10. This is another man , with his son , taking a photo shot through one of my friend's 8" RC scope....

continue...

Attached Files

#60 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

11. And even that night we have a lady , which I met her for the first time, setting up her scope for the public....

continue...

Attached Files

#61 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

12. And we even have an old man, setting up this little 40mm refractor scope....

continue...

Attached Files

#62 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

13. And another of my astro friend standing beside his 4" triplet....while the people is sitting down enjoying the views...

continue...

Attached Files

#63 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

14. And see how enjoyable my astro friends, with their 80mm refractor scope....

15. of course there are 3 more scopes for the night, that I did not took the photo, one is the ultima C8 and two dobs, 8" and 10"....

continue....

Attached Files

#64 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

16. That night although is only 3 hours of viewing session, I feel so enjoyable , even I spent so much time for preparation....

17. But side walk astronomy is always fun and if you like it, you will not mind the inconvenient... and always looking forward for the next one....

18. Thank you .....And hopefully I can take part the next month Chinese lunar festival....

Regards

james Ling

#65 Skylook123

Skylook123

Cosmos

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:03 AM

James, your posts are always very uplifting. Right now we are in our local monsoon season; I haven't been able to get out to the public in almost seven weeks. It is always enjoyable to live through your experiences at these times. Many thanks to you, Gary, and the rest of your group for the joy and enlightenment you bring to your community.

#66 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hi ALL...

It has been 4 months since my last update in this outreach section.....and even the last mid September outreach at our local park celebrating the Chinese lunar festival, I have not been able to post any details until today i am able to have free time to do some update....

Work commitment has resulted the past 3 months, without participating all local planned astro talk and side walk activities by Gary....

The following are the last outreach done in mid September , at our local park......whereby I brought along my 152 APM ED APO, as it is easy for setup.....

1. People queuing up for their turn to look through from the telescope's eye-piece, at the moon....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#67 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi ALL...

2. This is another photo showing the people while queuing up for their turn to look through the telescope's eye-piece, are also carrying lanterns, as part of the celebration of our oriental lunar month moon cake festival...
The telescope is pointing at Venus, while it is setting in the West.....

REgards

James Ling....

Attached Files

#68 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hi ALL...

3. Here is another telescope with people waiting for their turn to view at Venus......

REgards

James Ling...

Attached Files

#69 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hi ALL...

4. While in this outreach night, the clouds kept rolling in and moving away, which causes a lot of stoppages...I used my hand phone to show and explain to the people that they can also uses some of the free astronomy software to find and identify the objects in the sky that we are showing them....

Regards

James Ling...

Attached Files

#70 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hi ALL...

As this is near to end of December 2013, I wish everyone here in the forum, a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY 2014 NEW YEAR....

And the next astro talk and side walk organize by Gary will be coming 4th January 2014, and I hope to attend and bring along my 8" ISTAR, which now equipped with Chromacorr II, to show Jupiter, which is one day away from opposition....

Photo shows the ISTAR during end 2012 at the same side walk venue..

REgards

James Ling

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics