Entry point for video astronomy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gmussman

gmussman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've been reading through this forum, and I think maybe I'm ready to give video a go. My motivation is for visual use is very light polluted skies. I can't really afford the Mallincam VSS, and the jr only has 4 sec integration (and still isn't cheap, but probably doable with some planning).

Does anyone have a recommendation for entry-level equipment? Is my concern about the integration time reasonable, or will the jr still deliver a lot despite white-zone light pollution? I appreciate any advice.

For eqipment, I have an 8-inch f5 dob and a 6-inch f6.5 equatorial mounted refractor.

Thanks!

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Under a bright sky, the Mallincam Jr should be just fine, where sky glow will build up quickly in the image. A light pollution filter, such as the Orion Skyglow Imaging filter, in conjunction with about an f/4 system, should allow you to see lots.

A friend has one, which he uses for outreach activities. I saw it in operation on his f/4.9 Dob under a dark sky, and I was surprised at what it picked up.

#3 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

I've been reading through this forum, and I think maybe I'm ready to give video a go. My motivation is for visual use is very light polluted skies. I can't really afford the Mallincam VSS, and the jr only has 4 sec integration (and still isn't cheap, but probably doable with some planning).

Does anyone have a recommendation for entry-level equipment? Is my concern about the integration time reasonable, or will the jr still deliver a lot despite white-zone light pollution? I appreciate any advice.

For eqipment, I have an 8-inch f5 dob and a 6-inch f6.5 equatorial mounted refractor.

Thanks!

You can get a way better deal if you get a camera with x512 or better yet with x1024 sense up integration. They are all cheaper than a Mallincam Jr. . Samsung or Lntech for 8 or 17 sec integration .

#4 gmussman

gmussman

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Excellent, very happy to hear he jr will still perform well with such heavy light pollution!

Mattflastro, I've read some posts here about the sbc-2000, but I wasn't sure it did integration. Am I correct in thinking 1/60 shutter speed times 512x integration = 8.5 sec integration? Sorry to ask such a basic question, I'm a total noob with electronics. Is that the same basic way the Mallincam does the integration?

All else being equal, I'd much prefer a dedicated device like the Mallincam, but that's a heck of a price differential!

#5 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Excellent, very happy to hear he jr will still perform well with such heavy light pollution!

Mattflastro, I've read some posts here about the sbc-2000, but I wasn't sure it did integration. Am I correct in thinking 1/60 shutter speed times 512x integration = 8.5 sec integration? Sorry to ask such a basic question, I'm a total noob with electronics. Is that the same basic way the Mallincam does the integration?

All else being equal, I'd much prefer a dedicated device like the Mallincam, but that's a heck of a price differential!

The Samsung does integration the same way , you are correct. x512 integration means 8.5 sec in Samsung and Lntech same as in other sens up cameras. Jr. does x256 max.
The Lntech (don't own a Samsung at the moment) can do x1024 =17sec. Gain up to 42dB . Allsorts of little things if you take the time to play with the camera, such as configuring the privacy mask areas as color bars for monitor calibration , or as cross-hairs . 3-D noise reduction and automatic bad pixel removal, adjustable Gamma corection , sharpness, color balance etc .

#6 gmussman

gmussman

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Do you mind sharing what you use for a monitor since the Samsung and Mallincam are both coax-out only? Do you have to buy a TV?

I have an old portable sony DVD player with video minijack in (3.5 mm, if I am not mistaken). Any suggestions?

#7 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

...I have an old portable sony DVD player with video minijack in (3.5 mm, if I am not mistaken). Any suggestions?

A model number would help...

#8 John59

John59

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

You can buy BNC to female RCA adapters from Radio Shack and you can use standard RCA cables. As far as using monitors if your portable DVD player has "VIDEO IN" and is the mini 3.5mm, then you will need a RCA to minijack cable.

#9 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Do you mind sharing what you use for a monitor since the Samsung and Mallincam are both coax-out only? Do you have to buy a TV?

I have an old portable sony DVD player with video minijack in (3.5 mm, if I am not mistaken). Any suggestions?

Less than $5 buys any cable ready made with any connectors you need at the ends on ebay , be it RCA, BNC , 3.5mm etc .

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics