"Meteor threat" helpful againt LP?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DallasEric

DallasEric

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

With the recent Russian meteor and 2012DA14 close approach, I'm wondering if anyone has considered making the argument that light pollution makes it more difficult to find these objects. Seems like given all the media attention and public interest, it might be an argument the public would actually understand and agree with.

#2 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Isn't there already enough fear mongering for the innumerable "issues" troubling the world?

#3 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

put more satelites up looking for NEOs, since if you put it on the moon it would most likey get bombarded.

#4 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has considered making the argument that light pollution makes it more difficult to find these objects.

It doesn't simply because the survey scopes are on top of mountains away from sources of light polution. I don't think you would run a serious professional NEO survey setup from urban locations

#5 gax63

gax63

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ellenwood,ga

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Not everyone that is searching for NEO's are professionals on top of a mountain.
Lots of amatures are searching and discovering NEO's. About 5% according to the university of Cambridge.
IMO it is indeed a vaild arguement to reducing LP.

#6 Ron359

Ron359

Vostok 1

• Loc: -103 +39

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I think a more valid argument is the effect light pollution will have on the public's ability to see the two potentially "great comets" we have coming this year. One in less than a month. Once the media start talking about the comets the public will expect to see them from their well lit driveways or backyards, and that will be a big disappointment. Its the perfect opportunity to high-light (pun intended) unneeded and wasteful lighting and what can be done about it. The question I have is, what will IDA or the A.L. do or say about it? Ron

#7 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Unfortunately even the most notable amateur European NEO survey teams are still having to use robotic scopes on top of very big mountains

http://www.esa.int/O...help_space_h...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics