• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 colum

colum

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Poughkeepsie NY

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

Would microscope eyepieces work on catadioptic telescopes such as a Questar. I have a 10X20 zoom nikon and a Zeiss 10X, I appreciate any advice before I go ona rampage Bldg useless stuff. Thanks..Jeff :tonofbricks:

#2 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

They should work, they perform the same function in both. There's a definite history of using microscope eyepieces in telescopes. The standard diameters aren't the same, but if you can compensate for that, shouldn't be any problem. How well they'll work will depend on the design of the eyepiece, the telescope and so on, just as with astronomical eyepieces.

#3 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

A couple of years ago I bought a wide field (70°)type of ep from a member on the CN Classifides. Excellent overall even in my f/4 scopes. No markings on the ep except 22mm, or maybe 22X. An astro buddy who is a biologist said it was definitely a microscope eyepiece. Whoever converted it did a great job.

There are a couple of microscope eyepieces in the case in the basement with my 55 year old Sears microscope. I tried to convert a modern day kellner to get a wider low power view but the Sears scope has such a small barrel I just gave up.

You will never know when you can get a gem. I think the long focal ratio of the cat's design would be pretty forgiving so just try before you buy if possible.

FWIW here is a zoom ep I converted from an 60mm ED spotter scope for use with a solar Ha scope. A simple turned aluminum adapter was all it needed. Works like a champ.

Attached Files

#4 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Loc: Blue Island Illinois

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

They work, but most are rudementary compared with even basic telescope eyepieces. There are some gems like Ziess orthos and some monocentric designs but they are hard to find and unusual. A very good Microscope eyepiece labeled "Wide field" is most likely a Kellner. For long focal length high magnification uses, they are passable but low poer views suffer horribly from CA and that's in my f15 refractor!

#5 colum

colum

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Poughkeepsie NY

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

Thanks Pogobbler and Sean for your replies...Jeff

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics