• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Read this - http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-21496562

Listen to this (might be regionally locked) http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-21502994

This was a 5 minute item on this mornings BBC Radio 4 news program. The IDA was also interviewed on the radio and the IDA representative Martin Morgan-Taylor gave a very balanced reason why light pollution was detremental without once citing astronomy. His arguments were based on energy waste, wildlife, health and environmental issues. The parks representative Ruth Coulthard in the interview focused on the ability to attract astro tourists to the park as a dark sky benefit.

#2 mountain monk

mountain monk

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Tonk. You all seem to be making more progress on this than we are.

Dark skies.

Jack

#3 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Its minor progress really. This is more about halting the march of LP as opposed to reversing it. But it counts.

Martin Morgan-Taylor stated this morning that the level of LP in the UK has increased 25% in the last 7 years.

He also said that in the UK there is now far more awareness of LP issues since BBC2 started an annual "Star Gazing Live" show each January. Its presented by Professor Brian Cox and Dara O'Brian (stand up commedian and physisist) and is popular. Astro societies join in and host mini star parties for the public. My society has kept this up with with twice a month field meetings for the public. This is held in a field behind a country pub :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b019h4g8

#4 Dark Sky Scott

Dark Sky Scott

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Brecon Beacons has done a significant amount of lighting retrofits to complete their application. That's certainly a good thing.

Their designation should certainly help to raise awareness there as well. Hopefully that will lead to others taking action.

By the way, there will be a new International Dark Sky Park announced in the U.S. very soon.

#5 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Dark Sky Scott - thats good to know. Do you know anything about the Bardsey Island "bid" or is this with a different organisation?

BTW I occasionally go to the Croyden Caving Club hut in the Breacon Beacons and it IS very dark there. I've also been camping in sight of bardsey Island at the end of the Llyn Peninsula and its very dark there too!

#6 Dark Sky Scott

Dark Sky Scott

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Tonk, IDA has not had any recent contact with the Bardsey group, but would welcome it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics