Nexus 7 Backup?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Since I updated to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on my Nexus 7, it acts like it is not rooted. I can't access my flash drive and when I try to backup my apps and data to my computer, it acts like it can't transfer data from the tablet to the computer. I don't want to try to do another root until I can backup my apps and data. Any ideas??

#2 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi CarolG,

I have not rooted my Nexus 7 yet, I will soon, I'm kinda waiting for the warranty to end. But I have been reading up on it and how to do it, etc. XDA has a couple of threads where some complain that the update 4.2.2 caused problems for their rooted Nexus 7. Then there are others that report no problem at all. Who knows? I'll try to find the threads and post them here.

peace & clear skies

#3 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

You really don't need to back up your apps. They'll re install back from the market upon re-logging into your Google account. If you insist though.. You can try any of the back up apps in the market. I've had mixed success with My Backup or My Backup Pro . On some of my devices in the past it didn't relink the app data back to the apps. Once you've backed it up you can just transfer the data package off the tablet root it and then put it back in the internal mem and then restore the apps/data from the back up.

I seriously suggest once you have it rooted to looking into Titanium Backup, with it you can do a back up of apps and data before a rom change or firmware update and then restore it afterward.

#4 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Since I updated to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on my Nexus 7, it acts like it is not rooted. Any ideas??

Carol,
If you're not you should be running something like "Voodoo OTA Rootkeep" or "Android Root Toolkit" (there are probably others). Both are availible in the play store.

These programs protect your Root access by saving it to a file. It is not uncommon for a OS update to remove the Root access status from your device. (4.2.2 removed the Root access from both my Nexus 7 tablet and Galaxy Nexus phone.)

These utilities allow you restore the Root access with a one click instant restore. Always protect your Root! If you don't have a protected Root you will have to re-root and then install a root protector. You should be good in the future.

#5 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks, Marcus. I rerooted it, made a backup, then decided to try to flash the 4.2.1 version. Big mistake!! Looks like I just bricked my Nexus. I can't get it to boot up. I can bring up the fastboot mode, but it won't flash anything. Looks like I'm dead in the water at this point. If anyone knows how to unbrick a Nexus 7, PLEASE let me know!!!

#6 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Carol,
Try either Google Nexus 7 Toolkit or the Wug Nexus Root Toolkit. If you use Wug's you'll have to follow the directions at the bottom for the work around for 4.2.2. Hopefully one of these will bring you unit back from it's coma. I have used both of these programs to fix mine when I thought it was bricked (but not with 4.2.2). Wug's has a nice advanced utilities section.

#7 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thanks, Marcus for the links. I already had tried both of them yesterday, but since I could only use the fastboot mode, I was limited in what I could do. This morning I tried again using first the Google tool kit and was able to flash 2 img files to the Nexus, but I couldn't flash anything else. So I went to the Wug tool kit and tried flashing the entire JB 4.2.2 OS. Before I did this, I read that the current version of the Wug tool kit did not work with 4.2.2 version without downloading and replacing some files. I did this, crossed my fingers, and started flashing. And--IT WORKED!!! I have restored my Nexus 7 to its pre-bricked state, so I know it can be done. I would have liked to have flashed to the 4.2.1, but the baseband version since the update to 4.2.2 was different than that of 4.2.1. That conflict prevented me from reverting to 4.2.1, and I didn't want to press my luck any more. In the future I will be very slow to update and mess around with these devices, since I really don't know what I'm doing. I am going to download a root toolkit to have so I won't have to re-root again.

#8 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Carol,
I am glad you're up and running again.

#9 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Thanks, Marcus, I am too!

#10 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

That's good to hear Carol. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost access to my N7. :(

peace & clear skies

#11 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Thanks, Richard. Truth be known, I didn't know what I was doing. At one point, I decided I didn't have anything to lose, so I just tried anything I could think of. Fortunately, all turned out well. I just finished doing a full system backup using the Wug Development Root Toolkit. I think I like that program the best. It is simple and easy to use.

#12 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Carol,
Now that you are back up, rooted and running I would give some thought to installing Android Root Toolkit (playstore). It will allow you to save and restore your root and some other things. But best of all it will flash a custom recovery.

It gives you a couple of choice of popular recoveries to flash. I use TWRP 3.4.1.0. The beauty of the TWRP recovery is once you boot into it, it has a touch screen GUI and it will allow you back-up and restore directly to flash drive or the Nexus internal storage, no PC is needed. It will restore and backup all your files and the OS in one shot. I have backup copies of all the versions of OS and software I've installed on my Tablet.

I had to send my Galaxy Nexus phone back to Samsung for a warranty repair for a hardware issue. I used TWRP to back it up and restore a factory image. When Samsung received the phone it was completely clean like a virgin phone from the factory. No warranty issues because there was no trace that it had been rooted or messed with. When it came back a simple root, install of the Android Android Root Toolkit, flash of TWRP and a restore. All my files, contacts wifi settings everything. I didn't need to connect to the Play Store to reload anything!

#13 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Marcus said:

I had to send my Galaxy Nexus phone back to Samsung for a warranty repair for a hardware issue. I used TWRP to back it up and restore a factory image. When Samsung received the phone it was completely clean like a virgin phone from the factory.

Hi Marcus,

I have thought about rooting my Nexus 7 but I have so far hesitated to do so with regards to the warranty. Can TWRP revert to factory settings without a trace? I can root and if a warranty problems pops up I can set it back to factory settings?

I have a Kindle Keyboard that I jailbroke (word?) with screensaver and custom fonts so I do have some idea about rooting and JBing hardware. Thanks for your time.

peace & clear skies

#14 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

TWRP can restore a factory image if you have one, but the one thing I didn't mention is when you are sending the device back for warranty service after a factory ROM is loaded the bootloader needs to be re-locked. TWRP doesn't do that.

To relock the bootloader I use the OEM Lock option in Wug's Nexus Root ToolKit (which is a PC Program). Wug's will also download a stock factory image for you if you need one, so you could also use Wug's to reflash and relock.

I personally like to restore images from a backup that I have made within TWRP and then only use Wug's Toolkit to relock the device. I think that helps avoid issues like Carol ran into. all the other time I just leave the bootloader unlocked for convenience.

So once a factory ROM is restored and the Bootloader is locked there are no issues with the factory warranty. In my case my Nexus phone went back to the factory twice under warranty after being rooted and custom ROMs loaded. Once restored and relocked Samsung honored the warranty with no problem. Actually on the second warranty return they replaced the phone. They even paid for shipping both ways, both times.

#15 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Marcus thanks for the info. I may root my Nexus 7 sooner rather than later. :)

peace & clear skies,

#16 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I just noticed that my "recovered" nexus 7 32Gb 3G tablet now only shows that I have a total of 6Gb space, not the 28Gb it showed before the restoration. Any ideas on what may have happened and if there is a way to recover the other 22Gb? Thanks!!

#17 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Carol,
What did you use to restore it? Was the tablet restored from a file that was actually on the device or from a file on a external device. Sounds like there is some old data there. Go to settings > internal storage. That will tell you what is using up all the sace.

I would tell you boot to recovery and wipe both the cache and the Dalvik cache but I don't know what recovery ROM you have

#18 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Marcus, I used the Google stock JB 4.2.1, that I have stored on my computer, to restore my tablet. I used the Nexus 7 Toolkit to flash the boot, system, userdata, and recovery image files to the tablet. I tried to use the "flash google stock rom", #9, on the Nexus 7 toolkit, but I kept getting an error that said when the program was trying to flash the system files that "Failed. Too many open files". Since I was only able to use "fastboot mode" and not "adb mode", I was severely limited on what I could do. Before I finally flashed the 4 image files individually, I did flash TWRP onto the tablet and wiped everything-data, dalvik cache, system, and anything else it would let me wipe. The tablet booted up just fine after flashing the 4 image files, my data and apps were restored via Google, but I didn't notice that my internal storage capacity was 6 Gb, not the 28 or so it was supposed to have. According to the internal storage info I now have 3.91Gb out of 6 Gb available.

I have the stock Google JB 4.2.1 on my computer as a backup just in case.

#19 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Carol,
Based on what you said I would flash the stock Google 4.2.1 image. I don't like that you had to flash those 4 files separately.

#20 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I thought about doing that, but trying to flash the stock 4.2.1 after the update to 4.2.2 is what led to all this trouble. Is there any trick to flashing the stock image? I tried using the Wug Development Nexus Root kit, but all it did was wipe the existing ROM and then wouldn't flash the image that program downloaded.

#21 Dawz01

Dawz01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

Thank you. I sign up to this forum to say CarolG you saved my nexus7 16Gig 4.2.2. Its was bricked after putting different rom on it and messing around. After 3 days of trying boot it with the nexus toolkit and the wugfresh toolkit and reading so many forum xda google seaches I was about to give up. Then google came to this forum. It didnt make sence loading each *.img( ueserdata, system, boot, bootloader, recovery) but it work. But I have the same problem as you I only have 6gig visible of my 16gig. Thank you. I'll let you know if I find a fix.

#22 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

You two with 6GB storage probably need to boot into Recovery, and reformat your SDcard partition. In CWM Recovery, under mounts and storage, choose format SDcard. You'll lose all of your data, but gaining back your storage is worth it. I don't use TWRP Recovery, but I'll bet it also has a reformat Sdcard option.

#23 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Dawz1, welcome to cloudy nights! I wish I could say "Glad to be of help", but I really wish neither of us were having to deal with this problem!

Snorkler, yesterday I tried booting into recovery mode and all I got was a little android with a red exclamation mark on it. So I'm thinking I need to flash CWM onto the tablet using the nexus toolkit. Is that right?

#24 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

I decided to flash CWM onto the tablet. I booted into recovery mode and formatted the sd card. Rebooted the tablet, and the total storage is still 6Gb. :(

#25 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Apparently you flashed an 8GB image. There's a thread on the lost storage topic here.

You need to (quoted from the link):
extract the stock image and pull recovery, userdata, boot, system

fastboot flash each of them

boot into stock recovery and u will get stuck at the laying android

push volume up + power til it enters stock recovery

do factory reset and u should be good to go.

reflash custom recovery, and reflash custom rom (if applicable).
===================================================
But try a factory data reset first. I'd try the fastboot erase userdata command, too, before doing what I posted above.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics