Photo

This Miserable Mess with DB9 Serial and Computers?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

I have been using cheap Chinese made serial adapters without the slightest bit of trouble for about 6 months now. I didn't feel like paying $35+ for a proper converter when ebay had cheap china ones for $2.99 shipped.

Are you able to post details of exactly which serial adaptors you are getting? The feedback I get on the ASCOM groups is that a lot of people have problems. If there's a solid way of getting connectivity that would be really useful.

Chris

#52 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

The chinese versions will work fine as long as it's not a clone knockoff prolific chip. It's a *BLEEP* (fine cr@:p) shoot.

#53 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Here's the thing.. there are these China "Linvor" Serial to Bluetooth dongles out there. How hard would it be to graft one of these directly to an existing mount controller? since it's still serial, the mount controller would not need any re-engineering, just a daughter board with the bluetooth controller.

I've had a look inside a GTO CP3 controller (when I replaced the Q chip with an S chip) and there is definitely space for a bluetooth adapter. The only challenge is the case is solid metal.. there would need to be a cutout for the bluetooth antenna.

#54 Waldemar

Waldemar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

IMO, I think most manufacturers are staying with RS-232 as it is (at least for me) more reliable and you can use it over longer distances than USB without needing any fancy adapters or converters. It would be nice though to see USB supported with maybe a built in USB hub in the mount to reduce cable clutter.

Those are two of the many reasons why I like my ASA DDM60Pro so much :jump:

But I agree: FTDI are the best converters. I used them on other mounts and on my ASA before it was upgraded.

#55 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have been using cheap Chinese made serial adapters without the slightest bit of trouble for about 6 months now. I didn't feel like paying $35+ for a proper converter when ebay had cheap china ones for $2.99 shipped.

Are you able to post details of exactly which serial adaptors you are getting? The feedback I get on the ASCOM groups is that a lot of people have problems. If there's a solid way of getting connectivity that would be really useful.

Chris

Here... is the ebay link to the adapters I bought. I bought 3 just in case, and all 3 work just fine, never had a problem in the 6 months I've been using it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics