9 replies to this topic

#1 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Found this listing on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...-Auto-Star-C...

The seller has it listed as an AutoStar keypad, but it looks exactly like the one I'm missing for my classic. Any way to find out if this will be compatible with my scope?

#2 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

This controller is the one for the Classic. I am looking at mine 5 feet away from me (on a circa 1991 LX200 10").

-- Andrew

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

It's probably right. The vast majority of handboxes are a late revision, and work with the vast majority of telescopes, which are also a late revision. I used to know which handbox revs work with which motherboards, but as it never seems to be an issue I've forgotten. There should be an identifying sticker on the handbox back but I don't see one in the photos. Someone may have applied that "quick start" sticker over it.

#4 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll grab it if the price doesn't get bid up to a crazy amount. I'm sure I can resell it if it doesn't work out(9 bids on it already).

I've been looking for one of these guys for months but they seem to keep slipping through my fingers.

#5 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

maybe you might wanna try this?

http://tech.groups.y.../LX200Autostar/

#6 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

maybe you might wanna try this?

http://tech.groups.y.../LX200Autostar/

Yes, I'm aware of that solution. However, tracking/goto is not of HUGE importance to me as I have no plans for astrophotography and I prefer starhopping to pressing buttons. I mostly just want tracking for outreach and sketching. Plus, if I were going to spend $400+, I'd probably just look into a new mount.

#7 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

ok, well if you do get one, don't forget to upgrade the capacitors in it. you might plug it in the first time and pop goes the weasel! a common occurence in these is for the cap right under a ribbon cable goes out and takes the cable with it.
good luck

Theo

#8 RogueGazer

RogueGazer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Point Oregon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

I have not upgraded my caps yet although they are ordered and in route. In the mean time I opened the controller and put a couple layers of Gorilla tape over the ribbon above the caps followed by a layer of aluminum tape and another layer of Gorilla tape as a precaution. Even after I replace the caps it will still provide protection in the off chance the new caps go super nova :p

#9 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I have not upgraded my caps yet although they are ordered and in route. In the mean time I opened the controller and put a couple layers of Gorilla tape over the ribbon above the caps followed by a layer of aluminum tape and another layer of Gorilla tape as a precaution. Even after I replace the caps it will still provide protection in the off chance the new caps go super nova :p

That's not a bad idea. I may do the same until I get a chance to replace the capacitor.

#10 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Also, that auction ended at $190!!! Fortunately I found one using a wanted ad on the classifieds on this site. $100, a much better deal.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics