Pentax XW's Toast?

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#1 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I just heard from a major vendor that there probably won't be any more Pentax Extra Wides produced. These are one of the great eyepieces of all time. I recommend that if anyone wants one, they grab it from a vendor still having them in stock. If this is true, then the used XW's will also be a hot item, and go up in price. Those of you who want, but can't obtain a Pentax XW, go for a Delos instead. You will be pleased with a Delos.

I am not listing in this post the name of the vendor who gave me this information. I don't want this to pit vendors against one another. If you are interested in a Pentax XW, I recommend you check with your own vendor to see if they have received similar reports. Please note that the vendor who told me this is one of the major ones.

#2 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Gene,

There's really no need to create all of this hype as there are hundreds of used XW's in excellent condition on the used market that many could buy. I don't even think it is true myself, as I recall Don Pensack saying they moved their production somewhere else IIRC.

Cheers,

#3 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Woodland Hills said they have some in stock and more coming.

#4 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Gene,

There's really no need to create all of this hype as there are hundreds of used XW's in excellent condition on the used market that many could buy. I don't even think it is true myself, as I recall Don Pensack saying they moved their production somewhere else IIRC. Cheers,

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not creating hype. I am simply passing on what I was told by a major vendor. I hope others will see this as a helpful heads up. If Pentax is going to gear up production at another site, then they should so inform their vendors--and those who want to purchase their products. I was going to purchase a Pentax 7mm XW from the major vendor cited above. I was told that the Pentax XW line will probably be shut down.

There may or may not be 'hundreds of used XW's for sale in excellent condition.' Whether it is true or not, many of us want to buy new.

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

Woodland Hills said they have some in stock and more coming.

The vendor I checked with had their web site as 'more on the way.' I called them and was told they are changing their web site to say 'not available.'

#6 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

• Loc: Under the southern horn of the bull

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the warning but I hope your source is wrong. There were similar rumours last year (and I can't remember if a vendor/s were involved then or not) but a Pentax UK rep told me last february that while the 2in XWs and the XOs production had ceased there were no plans to stop the 1.25in XWs. I hope nothing's changed, the vendors themselves sometimes have incorrect information.

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

This wouldn't surprise me, as Ricoh (the current owner of Pentax) doesn't have the same dedication to producing optics for astronomy that earlier owners did.
I can see why the 2" versions were discontinued (no spotting scope application), but the 1.25" versions all work in Pentax spotting scopes.
So unless they have decided to de-emphasize the spotting scope side of their business, I can't see the XWs being discontinued.

But, world-wide sales may be down a lot, and I've seen close to 50% of all eyepiece brands disappear over the last 4 years. So who knows?

Sad, if true, though.

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the warning but I hope your source is wrong.

I would also hope that the XW's would continue being produced. I have never read a CN poster that did not love the eyepiece.

#9 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

XW was Delos well before Delos was Delos. :grin:

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

The only thing keeping me from buying Delos is the higher price, new or used. They are supposed to have a bit better transmission and less FC and other aberrations than the XW's.

So far I've picked up the XW 3.5, 7, 10 and 20. Luckily I was able to get them all used except for the 3.5. I'd rather not buy new if I don't have to.

The only XW left that I might want - much less need - is the 5mm. I keep waiting for a used one to pop up.

I remember the false rumor last year about all the XW's coming to an end. Even vendors can get it wrong sometimes.

Mike

#11 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

I recall that as well, but it is also quite possible as Don points out that market direction changes...maybe for real this time!

#12 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Gene,

There's really no need to create all of this hype as there are hundreds of used XW's in excellent condition on the used market that many could buy. I don't even think it is true myself, as I recall Don Pensack saying they moved their production somewhere else IIRC.

Cheers,

Mark,

Gene is only passing on what he was told by a vendor. Whether it is right or wrong, there is no need to shoot the messenger. Gene is only trying to be helpful to the forum.

Cheers

#13 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I apologize for my comment Gene, John is correct, you were only trying to help us on the forum here, however, it was only ONE vendor.

Cheers,

#14 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

I apologize for my comment Gene, John is correct, you were only trying to help us on the forum here, however, it was only ONE vendor. Cheers,

Mark--hang in there. There is a lot concern and passion on this topic. We all hope and want the XW's to be continued.

#15 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

...however, it was only ONE vendor.

Well, and not only THAT, but one must wonder what the ramifications of such "information" getting out might be... like increased sales! So a vendor who gets wind of something like this might just shrug & pass it on- thinking it's basically harmless info, with only upsides to its furtherance.

And i'd have to agree.

It's just that i'm not personally inclined to rush out and nab an expensive EP, no matter how good it might be, simply because of a rumor of impending short supplies. The downside for me is i might miss the boat... if it were actually true.

Years ago Vixen NA was closing its operations, and dumping LVW eyepieces at silly prices. That wasn't a "rumor", but was an actuality! Some may remember it. I missed that boat 'cuz i didn't have funds available- even at ~$150 for a *new* LVW. I later regretted that, after discovering how fantastic these EPs are... and i've since picked up *used* ones at near that pricepoint, so it's all good.

So i can appreciate the concern that comes with passing such info along... but must confess to being just a wee bit skeptical of such rumors.
:shrug:

#16 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

So i can appreciate the concern that comes with passing such info along... but must confess to being just a wee bit skeptical of such rumors.

I believe it more accurate to call this information, not a rumor, that was passed on by a major vendor. They are not going to benefit from increased sales by passing on a 'rumor' because they have no eyepieces in stock, and don't believe there will be any more coming their way. This vendor was passing on information from the Pentax representatives with whom they frequently communicate.

There is no monetary value for this vendor to pass on rumor. This vendor has an extremely high reputation in this business. I have dealt with them for many years.

In my opinion, this is valuable information. Information should be distinguished from rumor.

I stay say that Pentax could clear all this up. Don't they have a responsibility to their vendors? Don't they have a responsibility to their customers?

If Pentax plans to temporarily halt production of their XW's while they move to a different production facility, then they could/should tell us.

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Earlier this evening I narrowly missed buying a used XW 5mm. Another person beat me to it by minutes. I suppose if I hadn't been in this thread talking about buying an XW 5, I could have actually bought an XW 5!

:grin:
Mike

#18 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Gene, just say no to talking to tech support from hayneedle.com. :lol:

#19 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Earlier this evening I narrowly missed buying a used XW 5mm. Another person beat me to it by minutes. I suppose if I hadn't been in this thread talking about buying an XW 5, I could have actually bought an XW 5!

Mike

I was looking at the same EP Mike, :lol:

Cheers.,

#20 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

The 5mm Pentax XW is one of the best in the eyepiece line. A true gem.

Cheers,
John B

#21 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Years ago Vixen NA was closing its operations, and dumping LVW eyepieces at silly prices. That wasn't a "rumor", but was an actuality! Some may remember it. I missed that boat 'cuz i didn't have funds available- even at ~$150 for a *new* LVW. I later regretted that, after discovering how fantastic these EPs are... and i've since picked up *used* ones at near that pricepoint, so it's all good.

You can still buy LVWs from Vixen Optics and other vendors.
And you can still find used ones every now and then.
The design has been cloned by several Chinese companies and sold under several different labels, but the LVW is still the standard against which all the clones should be measured.
Focal lengths 3.5/5/8/13/17/22/30/and 42mm.

#22 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Yup!

The paint has flaked on the lettering here, but the rest of the EP, including the optics are excellent! Thanks JunoMike :waytogo:

The only other EP I might replace this with is a 5mm Pentax XW! I wonder what the differences would be between a 5mm XW and this one? :question:

Cheers,

Attached Files

#23 Damo636

Damo636

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Nice ep Markus, I almost bought one of those a while back (seller changed his mind at last minute :mad:). By all accounts the LVW are excellent! My own little XW family has grown in the last week.
With the ever mounting speculation as to their impending demise, I added the 5mm to complete a 10, 7, 5 set :yay:
I might even spring for a 3.5mm if one were to come up at the "right" price!

Attached Files

#24 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

For some of us, the demise of the 14mm XW is of no concern whatsoever. I can't remember how many 14mm XL's and XW's I have moved along? The field curvature would make me woozy :crazy: I have wondered if the 14mm Delos is much better and does not have that FC issue? I was a very early adopter of the XW line and will not sell my 20, 10, 7, 5, 3.5. However, I found the 31mm Nagler and 21mm Ethos ep's to be superior to the 30mm XW so will not miss that one as well. It is sad if Gene's information is true because other than my Leica ASPH zoom, nothing I have in the ep boxes compares with my 10mm XW. Bob

#25 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

I am sensitive to FC. My eyes don't seem to accommodate very well anymore. Among my XW's - 3.5, 7, 10 and 20 - I have not noticed appreciable FC except in the 20. But even the XW 20 cleaned up in a Paracorr. I could deal with the very slight residual FC by just focusing about 1/3 of the way toward EOF.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics