• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

It arrived safe and sound yesterday evening :jump: bringing with it plenty of rain/clouds of course! There goes the week+. :lol:

I got this new ota from High Point Scientific to replace a black tube SP C-8 (special coatings only) I've had since 1985. I still have the Super Polaris mt. and am getting a ADM vixen saddle for it to use with other ota's and also to use it with this new C-8 some of the time. For goto/ tracking I can use it on my CG-5 mt. or CGEM which is why I didn't buy the SE mt.

Everything looks/functions in perfect order with this ota! I notice the Fastar compatible logo on the front of the secondary -- that's nice, but I don't plan to do AP with this ota -- and the dust-cap fastening is improved since the old C-8 with a bayonet-style twist-lock, plus tabs. The old C-8 dust cap would easily fall off (once it actually blew off when the wind picked up during pack-up to leave a dark mtn. site) and the tabs on it were rather fragile.

It'll be a while before this C-8 gets to see first light, the weather here has been so rainy. Although the Voyager isn't to be the primary mt. for this C-8 I put it on the Voyager alt/az mt. just to get it set up somewhere for the time being. It weighs less than my AT90 EDT refractor! It's about the same length as the AT90 and the Voyager carries it fine for visual. With the arm attached straight up there's clearance for near zenith views and the pier extension puts the eyepiece at a good height for me to stand or sit while viewing.

I already have a Celestron f/6.3 reducer/corrector and plenty of other gear for a standard C-8 so didn't feel I needed the Edge HD.

Here's a few pics ...

Attached Files

#2 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Here's a fun pair...

Attached Files

#3 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Other end...

Attached Files

#4 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Don't know why they ever started making them any color but orange. It's a beautiful scope. Congrats!

#5 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Nice looking OTA. I was very impressed with the capabilities of the 8SE OTA. I just recently sold my 8SE after getting a NS11GPS with the carbon fiber OTA.

Here's hoping you get it under some dark skies soon.

#6 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

:grin: Thanks Joe! I agree, and I've always loved the original old orange tubes. I think the deep orange metallic finish of the new ota is very attractive.

Thanks Richard, and congratulations on the NS11GPS also -- very nice! :grin:
---Maya

#7 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm kind of fond of the orange myself.

Stan

Attached Files

#8 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Congrats, and beautiful looking scope. If you haven't already sold your original Black tube C8, it would really be interesting to hear of a 1 to 1 comparison between both scopes, to check the difference in contrast, image brightness, and darker background due to the better coatings, and differing optical corrector glass. Bob

#9 Julio

Julio

Messenger

• Loc: Pembroke Pines ,FL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

Maya i recently bought one of those orange C8s and the optics have been fantastic, better images than my 6.5" and the 4" ED.

#10 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

Its a really good planetary imaging scope with a decent camera
(below image is not the best I have gotten out of the scope!)

Posted Image
Jupiter, Io, Ganymede, and Callisto - 12/31/12 by zAmb0ni, on Flickr

#11 magnus

magnus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hello,

Congratulations to your new scope!!
Beutiful looking SCT; sure all C:s SCT:s ought to be orange! Would be kind if you send a 1:a light report.

Clear Skies,
Magnus

#12 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the great replies everyone! :grin:

Stan -- terrific looking set-up! (love the avatar as well - I'm a Scrat fan too) :grin:

Bob -- yes, that would be an interesting comparison of the new C-8 with my old 1985 one with just the plain special coatings. That old C-8 was my first decent scope and there's a lot of good observing memories associated with it. :grin:

Julio -- Congratulations on your C-8 too! Have fun with it! :waytogo:

zAmbonii -- Wow, that's a cool Jupiter animation! Lots of great detail -- even some on the moons. Thanks for posting your AP work, it's inspiring! :waytogo:

magnus -- thanks so much too! :grin: When I finally get some good weather I'll really enjoy getting this new cat out for a spin, do a first light report, and drag out the old cat too to strut its stuff. :grin:
---Maya

#13 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I had one these Orange 8SEs. It was one of the finest optics I ever had. Star images were pinpoint. I sold it for various reasons :bawling: but recovered from my error by recently buying an Edge 8 which is thankfully just as good. A really sharp and well corrected 8" SCT is an awesome and versatile machine :jump:...John

#14 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Congratulations on your Edge 8, John! Celestron has really made some great design strides/improvements with their SCTs in recent years, they continue to be extremely versatile and just plain fun to use too! :grin:
---Maya

#15 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm kind of fond of the orange myself.

Stan

I had a carbon fiber XLT C8 but it had horrible image shift, so I kinda used that excuse to sell it to a friend who uses an external focuers anyways on it, so I could get me an Edge 8 HD. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the sharpness at the edge field of view, even with a 41 pan with my C8, so I still was wondering what they hype is on the Edge scopes. In the interim, I started using a C6 orange tube and found the focuser and optics to be 100 percent rock solid and accurate, and love the new orange paint jobs.
Having done a side by side finally with that former CF XLT and a new Edge, I still haven't been able to see a difference in the two scopes visually, on large open clusters regarding sharpness, even when using a 21 Ethos in both scopes.
Now I have my eye on an Orange tube C8 because I like the classic Orange slightly better than the white, but both i like much more than the gray tube C8's.

...Ralph

#16 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

The orange to me is a coppery-orange tone. Kinda reminiscent of an orangey topped Duracell battery. The highlights and flecks in the paint in sunlight is stunning. I don't think they've ever looked as they do today. I love my C6 - inside AND out.

Pete

#17 Patricko

Patricko

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

I love my C6

+1 :ubetcha:

#18 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Your picture is a great shot.

In particular, it shows a feature that was the center of a big discussion on the CN Solar System observing forum.

I had made a post where I had described Io as showing a distinct pearl-like appearance due to the northern and sothern polar shading.

Several other observers were keen to repeat my observations, but when using smaller scopes, they said that Io looked distinctly oval.

In the C14 of course it was round but the C14 has far more contrast transfer. The observer using an 8" scope reported the pearl-like effect, but the observer using the 6" scope only reported that Io looked oval rather than appearing as a round disk.

Your picture shows this quite well. The contrast of the northern and souther poles is just enough that in the picture you can see that they are present, but the brighter equitorial region is shown as being brighter and gives an oval-ish appearance if you don't look closely for the curves of the limbs at the poles.

A great picture though and I am sure that you do have better ones because I know I have seen a few taken with C8s over the last 5 or 6 years.

It is so astonishing that ground based observers using modest sized telescopes can capture picutures of Jupiter that were beyond the capabilities of very large professional scope 50 years ago.

Software and CCD cameras. I love living in the future.

#19 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

I remember a month or so ago about a discussion on the shading on Io in the SS imaging forum. At the time I never really knew about it, and thought that any ovalness in Io was due to orbital movement during the time of capture.

When imaging it is sometimes tough to capture some of the details in the moons because the exposure is set on Jupiter itself and sometimes after processing Io looks blown out and the other moons are a little too dark.

I upgraded my imaging at the end of the December, but weather around here has been so crummy that seeing was never better than 3/5 during that time. I do want to note that in the image above, the scope was out of collimation (as my post in the other thread) and I was seeing some of the same arcing around Io, and you can barely see it there. Would really like to get some good seeing and the scope in good collimation to really see what the new camera can do before Jupiter leaves us for a while.

Software and CCD cameras. I love living in the future.

I am also amazed what I can get out of imaging with this scope. It was only a couple of years ago that the only good images of the planets on the SS imaging forum were coming from scopes 9" and larger with mono CCD cameras that cost $400 or more.

The camera I took the above shot with is actually a USB 2.0 CMOS color camera with good enough sensitivity that I can capture at 70 fps or more. They just released a driver that can capture 640x480 at 113fps! That is a lot better than the webcam I was using that could only capture at 20fps.

#20 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I have an 8se and 6se and both have fantastic optics. Celestron has really improved the quality of their SCTs.

Awesome Jupiter photo also.

#21 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

The camera I took the above shot with is actually a USB 2.0 CMOS color camera with good enough sensitivity that I can capture at 70 fps or more. They just released a driver that can capture 640x480 at 113fps! That is a lot better than the webcam I was using that could only capture at 20fps.

Great results! Things have really come far since I last dabbled with planetary ap with a regular 35mm film camera Canon F-1 (built like a tank and weighed about as much)! Seeing your results makes me reconsider trying planetary ap again with the C-8!
---Maya

#22 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Still waiting for a clear night sky...but did get the ADM Vixen saddle and installed it on my old 1985 Super Polaris mt.

Worked out great, fits perfectly, gives the old mount more ota options! :grin: The combination of the wooden legs coloration and the new C8 ota actually looks pretty nice so I thought I'd add another pic. :grin: It's ready to go!

Attached Files

#23 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Great looking scope!

#24 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

:grin: Thanks! That mount still works like it was new, though it's got plenty of mileage on it from carrying the old black tube C-8 on many a observing session around the country. I love how the new C-8 SE fits it just as well. :grin:

#25 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I've always heard good things about the Super Polaris mounts, I never owned though. However I did own a regular Polaris mount it was a gem to use. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics