• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Or to put it another way, looking to buy eyepieces for my WO bino's with 1.6 OCS, and can't decide, so any suggestions either way would be most appreciated.
The choice is pairs of...
AT Paradigms 12 and 15
Meade HD 60 12 and 18
Agena Astro 10-15 SWA
ES 11mm 82* and 16mm 68* of which I already have one of each and like them a lot
There is not a lot on the Agena SWA's but I have the 20mm Illuminated reticule eyepiece and it does work well when I put it in the bino's. Is this a good way to try out single eyepieces? Same goes for the ES's.
I like the look of the Meades and the AT's get great write up's.
My scope is 6" f8 achro. I don't wear glasses so ER is not really a factor. Presently using NPL30 and the WO 20"s.
Is 10-11mm too much for my scope? It seems ok with the single ES 11, often mono view down to 5mm.
I should just take the plunge but as I'm in Australia I'd like to think I could get it right first time...postage isn't that cheap :help:

Matt

#2 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I have read good reviews from someone who used the Meade HD 12mm in them. Maybe you could double up on the 16mm you already have. I think the 11mm would be too much along with the 1.6x if you have to use it to focus. I have to use it in my 80mm scope, but not with my SCT. To go along with the 20mm EP's it came with, I going down to 15mm pair next and try that out.

Bob

#3 sopticals

sopticals

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi Matt, :jump:

I have the WO Bino also. Some time back experimented with other options to the supplied WO 20mm 66deg oculars. Tried 15mm and 25mm GSO Plossls which for me provided too small FOVs and merging difficulty (15mms). Eventually tried the GSO 15mm Superviews 70deg FOV, had no trouble with merging with these, and they work :bow: splendidly with my dobs. These spend 95%+ time instaled in the binos.

Best regards
Stephen.(44deg.S.)

#4 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Matt, physically large eyepieces may touch each other and prevent you from getting the IPD close enough to fit you. If you have a couple of ES EPs you may want to try them to check if you can get the IPD adjusted for the distance between your eyes. It's something to keep in mind when selecting EPs for your binoviewer.

I only use my BV for planetary and lunar with Plossls, so I can't really give you any feedback on other EP types.

Ed D

ADDED: There's a current discussion here on this topic - Binoviewer and fat belly eyepieces

Ed D

#5 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

After a bit more thought I have gone for a pair of Meade 12mm HD's and will see how they go. Seem good for 'nose relief ' too a point I didn't think about before. The ES have a long barrel as pointed out in another thread. So I'll report back on the HD 12's at some stage.
Stephen I do have a pair of 15mm Superviews but they suffer from a lot of ghosting/glare which the other eyepieces don't. I think you did a thread on this with 20mm a while back so I'm wondering if 15's are not good for my bino's and scope? All leads me to think the HD 12 18 25 set would be good, so I'll start with the 12's which are the only ones on my list available in Oz.
Thanks for the replies,
Matt

#6 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi Matt , I to have the GSO 15mm Superviews , and these are a really good eyepiece , very much an unknowen but they perform extreemly well for little outlay , give them a look and I dont think you will be dissapionted .
Brian.

#7 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

So I bought a pair of the HD 12's and nice eyepieces too. Think I'm limited by the 6" aperture as the image was quite dim. The ghosting in the 15mm superviews was not there so must have been a bad day (night).
With a bit more light gathering power the HD's would make a good set I reckon, like them as they are all more or less the same size and are light weight. Nose relief isn't an issue for me either :lol:
Matt

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics