LX200ACF Declination knob

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vomit

vomit

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Got my new LX 200ACF last friday. Mounted it on the tripod (inside) and proceeded to tighten the RA & declination locks. The RA tightened just right, but the dec. knob would not tighten. At all. Back and forth, loosen, tighten; consult manuals, internet, etc. I thought maybe I was missing something.....after upgrrading from the LX90. Long story made medium, I called Meade customer service. The upshot was: he asked me to tighten the knob (to no avail) than he asked me to unscrew it completely, which I did. As soon as I got it off, I could hear something fall off, inside the fork arm. Next he proceeded to get the number off my scope, and asked for me to send an email of the sales transaction; while he would call on Monday.

In any event, I took the fork arm cover off, and discovered that the "clutch" (not sure if that is proper terminology) had slipped off the retaining pins and the gear was not secured properly. I remedied the situation, and voila'! No problem.

....BUT, I am still in the Meade system. What if they want me to send it back? Should I? Did I void the warranty? My guess is the knob loosened in transport. I checked the collimation and that was fine. After reading on here about Meade's money trouble, I really don't want to ship it back to them and have it get lost. Any words of wisdom is appreciated.

#2 davebl

davebl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

My thought is that if it's working properly, if Meade calls, tell them you screwed the knob back on and it seems to be working properly. Perhaps you were mistaken.

I'm sure they won't mind not having to repair it.

Dave

#3 vomit

vomit

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

My thought is that if it's working properly, if Meade calls, tell them you screwed the knob back on and it seems to be working properly. Perhaps you were mistaken.

I'm sure they won't mind not having to repair it.

Dave

Thanks. This is what I was thinking as well. Anybody else have any opinions? Feel free to speak up! :help:

#4 eliasx1

eliasx1

Sputnik

• Loc: Chicago suburbs

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

When I received my new LX200 the GPS was not working. Instead of shipping it to Meade I decided to live with it since it was not an essential part of the scope to me. Everything else was perfect and considered myself lucky compared to other people with horror stories. I disassembled and reassembled the electronics hoping that will solve the problem. It didn't. I am however, keeping an eye out for a sensor/antenna so I can swap it out one day.

If you are now happy with your telescope I suggest you use your warranty only when you really need it. No need to tell them you fixed the issue yourself.

#5 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

When I received my new LX200 the GPS was not working. Instead of shipping it to Meade I decided to live with it since it was not an essential part of the scope to me. Everything else was perfect and considered myself lucky compared to other people with horror stories. I disassembled and reassembled the electronics hoping that will solve the problem. It didn't. I am however, keeping an eye out for a sensor/antenna so I can swap it out one day.

If you are now happy with your telescope I suggest you use your warranty only when you really need it. No need to tell them you fixed the issue yourself.

I have spare GPS modules and sensor boards for LX200GPS scopes. If you sent me yours, I could test them, possibly repair them or replace them. You can PM me if interested.

#6 vomit

vomit

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Yes sir. I emailed them with my Purchase order, told him I screwed the knob back on and all is well. Answer: Deafening silence. Just need to get it out under some cloud free skies.....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics