• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Finaly decided to order this and came this morning. its been a challenge to do some things were it takes 3 hands contorting fingers to hold the camera to the EP and hit the buttons while the other hand adjusts the scopes position.
feels sturdy, will try it out the next clear night :)

Attached Files

#2 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

complete.

Attached Files

#3 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I've used a couple of these style holders. The early style could not adjust enough to the off set between the lens of my point and shoot and the location of 1/4 20 thread in the camera. I found the type you purchased solved that issued and I could stop trying to grow that 3rd hand, for those "quick" eyepiece shots. I did have to find a different way to connect to my Hyperions The larger eyepieces and DSLR camera and lens may not play well together. BE assured under most conditions you've made a great choice.
Be Well
Grey

#4 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Congrats on your new option to do steady digiscop’ing

I got this one and I also got the Vixen
My Vixen is the smaller one that only can hold 1.25 eyepieces (It comes in both now) that’s why I also got the Orion
To be honest the Vixen is more straight on so it’s a bit more ridged especially if you use it while tracking
but they both work and are quite solid units they are also heavy though
but with care and a little patience you should be able to do some nice quick shoots.
One word of caution: Don't be too quick, the objective of your camera has to get very close to the eyepiece to achieve best focus
and you might want to zoom in a bit, so be careful not to scratch the top lens of you expensive eyepieces.

Also when shooting remember to turn of flash, set the camera on infinity and use the “self timer” if you haven’t got a remote
(Maby place a bit of tape on top of the blinking diode) and you should be good.

And also please come back and post first light it will be fun to see how it works out for you gl :grin:

----------------
@ Greyhaven
I agree these adapters are not so well suited for the bigger DSLR, I think if I had a DSLR I might just get some sort of a T adapter.
These adapters are AFAIK meant for and work real well with the small point and shoot type pocket cameras.

#5 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

thanks1

the Vixen does look nice and sturdy. I tried fitting the mount to the ep to see how it goes and line it up so it would be quicker at night.
Once I try it i will report back, looking forward for my fingers to be free again :)

Attached Files

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I use it for my widefield shots mounted on top of my ED80T using a 55mm lens with my Atik 314L+. It takes a bit of imagination but it holds the setup well for long exposure widefield images.

Attached Files

#7 Jason D

Jason D

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: California

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

I got the old model years ago and used it only few times. It was a terrible piece of engineering. I can see how the new model would work much better.

#8 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Vanguard

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Neil,

Your setup looks great. Can't wait to see your pics.

#9 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

-Warren

I use it for my widefield shots mounted on top of my ED80T using a 55mm lens with my Atik 314L+. It takes a bit of imagination but it holds the setup well for long exposure widefield images.

Used as a side by side adapter that is added functionality. That is creative indeed.
I didn’t even know I had one, now I suddenly need a new CCD cam :lol:

#10 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

-Warren

Used as a side by side adapter that is added functionality. That is creative indeed.
I didn’t even know I had one, now I suddenly need a new CCD cam :lol:

Always looking for opportunities to show others how to spend their money! :grin:

#11 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Very nice set ups. I like how it works well on large ep's. Look forward to seeing some pics using this setup.

#12 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Dont know if I can improve on the stills (been practicing allot lol), except when trying to do mosaics of the moon, that will be easier and keeping the image quality constant. Im more interested in how the video will work, even though it will be less sensitivity, wondering if dss can pull out images from that.

#13 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

I was thinking of getting the Orion Star Shoot video eyepiece for taking short videos and images, then use Registax6 to stack the images. I was never really into taking images, or viewing the moon, but now it's become more interesting to image and seeing all those craters.

#14 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

the moon is great challenge to get close and take clear images of the craters and mountains. i real enjoy that and when u do get up close it becomes more interesting.

#15 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'll be getting the Orion variable 1-40% filter for when the moon is very bright, and for better images. Most of the pics I took the other night were too bright on one side, were the sun hit it direct. On the terminator it was less bright and very clear and detailed.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics