• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Well as I did say slightly tongue in cheek but on the basis of reported bugs by users on a recent thread Skywatcher have now suspended version 3.32 and its polar alignment system.

Latest version on Skywatcher site is 3.34 which removes the polar alignment function temporarily while bugs are given some sofware DDT :)

I never loaded 3.32 but have seen others having some gyp and rather suspected there may be bugs in it.

#2 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

If it ain't bust don't fix it....

#3 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Wise words :)

I suspect that lots of people havent spotted bugs in the UK cos we have had non stop cloud since I cant remember when.

Come to think of it maybe thats the problem with 3.32......maybe it generates cloud :)

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Well as I did say slightly tongue in cheek but on the basis of reported bugs by users on a recent thread Skywatcher have now suspended version 3.32 and its polar alignment system.

Latest version on Skywatcher site is 3.34 which removes the polar alignment function temporarily while bugs are given some sofware DDT :)

I never loaded 3.32 but have seen others having some gyp and rather suspected there may be bugs in it.

I have not tested 3.32 mainly due to weather. I did note some odd behavior in the last beta with the Polar Realign routine, but hoped they'd fixed it for the final release.

But...where are you seeing 3.34? The SkyWatcher page still refers to 3.32 as current... :confused:

#5 hectar

hectar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Shows here:
http://www.skywatche...class1=1&amp...

#6 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Don't quite understand what they disabled [polar (re-)alignment?] unless this is the All-Star polar alignment.

RELEASE NOTES:
---------------

SynScan™ Hand Control Firmware (Ver.03.34) Release Note
Date: Feb. 13, 2013
===============================================================

1. Update from previous firmware of SynScan Ver.03.32.

2. Fix the bug in connecting SynScan GPS at power up and enhance the reliability.

3. In EQ Mode operation, recover displaying the Hour Angle of Polaris to providing assistant information for polar
alignment.

The Hour Angle of Polaris can be viewed at the beginning after the location and time settings, or can be browsed
at "Utility\Show Information\Polaris Pos" sub-menu. Under the sub-menu, Polaris Pos., press the scroll keys to
switch viewing between the Polaris position in polarscope and the hour angle of Polaris.

4. Add editing of the interval time setting between exposures in the Configuration of Camera Control function in
Utility. User may change and set the time interval between exposures from 1 seconds to 10 minutes or more.

5. Temporarily disable the polar (re-)alignment function for the feature still under improvement.

#7 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Well that's strange. For me the polar realign is working ok and i will stay at 3.32 but if some people have problems maybe it is good idea to wait to fix it and then reenable it.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

The polar re-align function worked OK for me too. You could make it act weird by choosing the "wrong" star, though. The ones that seemed to make it act up for me were not stars I'd normally choose for polar alignment--Mizar for example--but choosing one would make the scope point to the ground.

#9 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have seen posts on other boards where 3.32 seemed to generate some odd behaviour. Erratic GoTos, mount lock ups and wildly inaccurate polar alignment visible by very poor tracking performance.....its always hard to know from other people posts whether stuff is user error or genuine software issues. There have been quite a few so I had formed the opinion that there may be bugs. i wasnt altruistic enough to want to load it and test it out myself :) anyway the weather here has been so bad it would have been nigh on impossible to test we are now entering almost four months of solid cloud.

I seem to recall the initial beta version had problems in the Southern Hemisphere and there seems to have been issues in Europe so perhaps its down to the latitude which the mount is used at....it must be devilishly difficult to test this stuff against all possible configurations , it could be down to the stars being used or probably hundreds of other factors so perhaps few gremlisns are to be expected. Doubtless Synta know what they are doing....they have done ok so far.

The whole process seemed a lot of faffing about to me anyway, as a visual only observer who is mobile I found the setting circles gave a pretty fast and reliable polar alignment so never saw the point in an upgrade especially as the weather here has been so bad...i certainly didnt want what maybe the sole good night in months messed up by untried and tested (by me) software.....i might be sweet but not sweet enough to kiss a clear sky goodye while acting as unpaid beta tester/pioneer :)

Now if Synta were willing to let me have an Esprite 150...............:)

New and exciting always sounds to me like untried and bug loaded but thats cos I am a dyed in the wool sceptic

#10 Gray

Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Hixson, TN

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have 3.32 loaded and noticed wrong goto's after a two star alignment. I polar aligned pretty well, and did a one star later. Then I synced on a bright star with my camera in place and pointing was superb.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics