• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Well, here is my first try at the Rosette...guiding is far from perfect, but is steadily improving due to my recent purchase of a Meade 3x Barlow. The unevenly fogged background is present on this photo, and this will hopefully be the last time I will ever have to look at this photo-ruining problem. Robert Provin has informed me that this is a classic case of moisture in the film, and that I should dessicate the film longer before hypering. He also recommended hypering the film on a reel rather than in the canister. I guess I will have to wait for that pesky moon to go away before I can take more photos.
Many thanks to Mr. Provin!
Clear Skies,
Noah

Exposure: 30 min.
Lens: 152mm f5.9 Achromat
Film: Hypered Tech Pan
Filter: Wratten #29
Guiding: Manual w/OAG

Attached Files

#2 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

:bow: :like:

#3 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Once you get the moisture problem solved you will have a more even image.
Since you are shooting at 5.9 with a red filter you may want to increase your exposure times to 1hr to 1 1/2hr.
If you are shooting with a deep red you can still shoot with the moon up, just shoot objects 45 degrees away.

#4 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thanks everyone!
I'll have to try 1 hr. exposures, though 1.5 hrs even with the filter might be pushing it with the light pollution I have around here. I really have to get to a dark sky again! I went to the Stellafane convention for the first time last August and haven't seen skies that dark since.

Noah

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics