•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rosette First Try

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Well, here is my first try at the Rosette...guiding is far from perfect, but is steadily improving due to my recent purchase of a Meade 3x Barlow. The unevenly fogged background is present on this photo, and this will hopefully be the last time I will ever have to look at this photo-ruining problem. Robert Provin has informed me that this is a classic case of moisture in the film, and that I should dessicate the film longer before hypering. He also recommended hypering the film on a reel rather than in the canister. I guess I will have to wait for that pesky moon to go away before I can take more photos.
Many thanks to Mr. Provin!
Clear Skies,
Noah

Exposure: 30 min.
Lens: 152mm f5.9 Achromat
Film: Hypered Tech Pan
Filter: Wratten #29
Guiding: Manual w/OAG

Attached Files

#2 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

:bow: :like:

#3 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Once you get the moisture problem solved you will have a more even image.
Since you are shooting at 5.9 with a red filter you may want to increase your exposure times to 1hr to 1 1/2hr.
If you are shooting with a deep red you can still shoot with the moon up, just shoot objects 45 degrees away.

#4 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thanks everyone!
I'll have to try 1 hr. exposures, though 1.5 hrs even with the filter might be pushing it with the light pollution I have around here. I really have to get to a dark sky again! I went to the Stellafane convention for the first time last August and haven't seen skies that dark since.

Noah

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics