Photo

iPhone 'SQM' app available soon ... your thots?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Last night's numbers were above my SQM readings for the first time. Usually the app's numbers were lower. If we can find the happy medium, we are in business.

But was each device measuring the same FOV (not just total area, but same length and same width)?

#52 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Netherlands, Valkenburg

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

@JohnD
I've updated the 5's algorithm.
FYI
We have provided a little 'tweaking' setting in the iPhones settings menu (look for dark sky meter). That can compensate structural differences between camera's. It's a kind of calibration. Say, the structural difference between your sqm and the dark sky meter is 0.1, just set the value (positive or negative) in the settings field.

Attached Files

#53 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Nice job Norbert. I will test the latest version (#38) tonight and see if I can come up with a good offset if needed.

JohnD

#54 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

A little heads up. This is a screenshot of the free Public Outreach 'lite' version aimed at a broad audience with the goal to provide tons of measurements worldwide.. It uses an approximate scale, no output in SQM/NELM and lacks the maps and weather features of the pro version. But this version will submit detailed measurements to researchers and the folks at the IDA.

Attached Files

#55 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

Hi Norbert,

You say that the Lite version does not give a SQM value? I know the last one I tried just gave a poor/good/etc value. I am thinking of its value for submitting readings to the Globe at Night site. School kids could use the Lite version for that if a SQM value was available or there was some way of sending that value to the site.

JohnD

#56 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

Hi John,
The SQM / NELM user feedback is in the Pro version. But in the lite version it's under the hood. The lite version submits these values as hi precision SQM values, along with position, pointing etc. The only difference is that these values dont show up in the user interface. These values can and will be used by the IDA and other parties. For instance Globe at Night. The added value is in the data. Therefore the app should be as simple as possible, attractive, free for the masses. Like we did with the VenusTransit app. More than 130.000 downloads in 2 weeks generating lots of useful data and raising awareness worldwide.

A sample of the data submitted:

datetime latitude longitude moonperc device deviceangle devicesqm
28-03-13 50,8 5,8 99 iPhone5,2 89 20,82

You can see that even the moon percentage is calculated, and if the device is correctly pointed towards the Zenit.

#57 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

"Scientific objectivity means that independent observers, using the same procedures, will come to consensus regarding the phenomenon they are studying. In other words, personal opinions, values, and biases will not change observations recorded with scientific objectivity."

How about the biases in the procedures themselves? Any errors in the procedures, systematic or otherwise will be propagated. That would seem to be the problem here. It would seem that understanding a phenomena requires the use of multiple procedures/techniques that then converge on an understanding/consensus.

Myself, I would want an app that is reasonably accurate...

Jon

#58 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hi Norbert,

Where would this data be submitted to so that a person could get at it and then use it to fill out the Globe at Night Reporting page?

JohnD

#59 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hello Norbert, any news on the release date?

#60 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I suppose it's a kind of catch-22. For the 'free' version, the user doesn't get any SQM or NELM numbers displayed; however this SQM reading is transmitted to IDA (with user's permission). The user only gets a descriptive "The sky is X time brighter ..." You can't check or calibrate the SQM app to an actual SQM device with the free version - for that you will need the paid version, which will then allow you to see the actual numerical SQM acquired. If there is enough device-to-device variation, I can foresee some issues with regards to the quality of data submitted to IDA via the 'free' version, especially since one would expect that there would be a lot more of those running compared to the paid version. In that case, perhaps another piece of data that should be submitted by the app to IDA is the calibration offset, and paid/unpaid status.

#61 Nop

Nop

Vendor (iPushto)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

The release is medio/end april. Depending on Apple. @core i couldn't say it better! There is an indicator (free/pro) in the database. And since it will be a mass product, i expect that measurements will not be at 'pro' level. But we hope to get a *lot* of measurements reducing possible errors. As we did with the VenusTransit app (15.000 good measurements out of 50.000, stil a lot!) But i'll leave the interpretation and reduction to researchers. @John, the data will be available on a website similar like this one: sqm.waarnemen.com . So it will be possible to lookup your own measurements and submit them to other sites/organisations.

#62 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

The Dark Sky Meter app is now available in the App Store. Maybe I'll get a chance to try it out tonight.
...Keith

#63 nevy

nevy

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think I may have made a mistake , I downloaded this one , I think it requires an SQM-LE ( whatever that is) it cost me £6.99 ,
Is there a link to the proper one as this is the only one I can find.
[image]http://Posted Image[/image]

#64 nevy

nevy

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

oops , I found it but its not available in the UK App Store , bollox , I've gone and wasted £7 lol.

#65 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Downloaded. 5 bucks is a bit pricey for something that requires additional hardware to calibrate.

You ever think of making the 'lite' version pay and donate it to the dark sky association? That would be darn cool.

#66 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

I can borrow a SQM from our Planetarium so I hope to calibrate my iPhone 5 soon. I think $5 is a great price. I love that there are so many good Astro apps available for the price of a fast food lunch.

#67 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Antwerp, Belgium

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

I just downloaded the free version for evaluation purposes. Can I propose a product enhancement request for the Pro-version: next to the cloud prediction, why not incorporate seeing and transparancy forecast info. I would like to refer to "Sky Harbinger" in the App store in order to illustrate what I mean. This app gets its info from the 7timer website.

#68 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Manchester, England

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

A little heads up. This is a screenshot of the free Public Outreach 'lite' version aimed at a broad audience with the goal to provide tons of measurements worldwide.. It uses an approximate scale, no output in SQM/NELM and lacks the maps and weather features of the pro version. But this version will submit detailed measurements to researchers and the folks at the IDA.

Hi, I can't download the app from the UK AppStore. Is there some issue with UK distribution?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics