•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chebarkul - Chelyabinsk Meteorite Videos

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 bob71741

bob71741

Apollo

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

A preliminary reconstruction of the orbit of the Chelyabinsk Meteoroid

Abstract here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1302.5377
PDF File here: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1302.5377v1.pdf

originally posted on anther forum by George Drobnock

#27 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have some Chelyabinsk/Chebarkul lined up through a reliable source, but it may be another week or two before I get my hands on it. When I get it, I will be sure to post some photos. I'm buying a fully-crusted pea for myself (maybe 2-4g) and another gram or two of small fragments that I can resell as micromounts.

From a collector standpoint, I haven't been this excited about a fall in a long time

Coincidentally, a few weeks before this fall, I had decided to rebuild my collection of peas. I used to have a great collection of peas, but I had to sell them off three years ago. Now I am rebuilding for keeps, and Chebarkul will be a nice addition.

#28 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Well I want one!!!

/Ira

#29 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Southern coastlines of Europe

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Check BBC 4 Meteor Strike FireBall from Space:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tZ9z0HG_BKA

#30 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

Happy Birthday Bump!  It's already been three years!   :)

#31 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

Note, some of the video links in the original 3-year-old post do not work, but most do.

#32 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

Time flies doesn't it!!

Ya those videos were amazing.

When Chelyabinsk fell, I was not a meteorite collector, although I was very interested in the event as an amateur astronomer.  Now of course I'm a collector like most of you... I find myself curious about the evolution of the price of Chelyabinsk from immediately after the fall until now.  I've been watching Bingol and how it started out extremely expensive, and how very quickly it's dropped.  Bingol is a fraction of what it cost very recently, with nice pieces still available.  And I wonder if it still has a while to fall...  I've also been interested in following Mahbse Aarraid and its price drop as well.

So, now, Chelyabinsk can be bought for around $4-$5 a gram, and that cost seems stable to me.  What did it cost immediately after the fall?  How about a month, a year later?  Does anyone have en educated guess about what it'll cost in a year?  5 years?

I suppose the broader question is about the "right" time after a new fall to make a purchase, and not get burned price-wise.  I know that at a certain point the cost will stabilize and then perhaps, perhaps! rise again at some point (Sikhote-Alin).  I know there are various factors in play, but is there an average amt. of time after a fall that the cost tends to stabilize?  And do you often buy early because the nicest, freshest pieces tend to be sold soon after a fall, or not necessarily?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics