• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

william optics 152mm apo

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think the CGE Pro is a *BLEEP* shoot, frankly, on the quality front. At $5k you'd be better off with an A-P Mach 1 for that OTA. As a bonus it's very transportable which the CGE Pro is not.

I'm really surprised that your CGEM DX is struggling with that OTA. What specifically is the mount not able to do? What leads you to conclude that it's "not strong enough"? There may be much simpler and cheaper fixes that a new mount, such as VSPs and a Hargreaves strut.

Regards,

Jim

#5 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

:gotpopcorn:

#6 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I would also have to ask exactly what problems you are having. The CGEM DX should be able to handle that scope without trouble really. The CGE Pro would be a lot of overkill for that scope.

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I think the CGE Pro is a *BLEEP* shoot, frankly, on the quality front. At $5k you'd be better off with an A-P Mach 1 for that OTA. As a bonus it's very transportable which the CGE Pro is not.

I'm really surprised that your CGEM DX is struggling with that OTA. What specifically is the mount not able to do? What leads you to conclude that it's "not strong enough"? There may be much simpler and cheaper fixes that a new mount, such as VSPs and a Hargreaves strut.

Regards,

Jim

The problem with that idea is that an AP Mach 1 is not 5k. It's almost 6500 before you buy a tripod, etc., etc.

That said, if the buyer can swing that, I'd prefer the Mach 1 as well. The problems with the CGE Pro are not krap-shoot quality. The quality is and has been pretty consistently good for a while. The problems are that it is heavy and tall, with its electronics pier. OTOH, that is a plus for refractor users, I suppose... ;)

#8 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

since celestron is now guaranteeing the PE of the CGE Pro, perhaps it's a better idea. i did think about this mount, since it has the great nexstar software, but the massive weight turned me off.

#9 kepler22

kepler22

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Regards,

Jim

jr im at 36lbs when i weighted it and the cgem dx
is 50lbs so can any of you guys tell me why a
cge pro is overkill i have only have 14lbs to spare
i have it on a pier so weight is not a issue.

i might holdout until the new EQ-8 comes out and
see what its like but i hate skywatcher software
and why would i go from a mount that holds 50lbs
to one that holds 45lbs and 1500 dollers more.

Posted Image

#10 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

jr im at 36lbs when i weighted it and the cgem dx
is 50lbs so can any of you guys tell me why a
cge pro is overkill i have only have 14lbs to spare
i have it on a pier so weight is not a issue.

The questions are, what are you trying to do, visual, astrophotography or both, and exactly what problems are you having? F/8 is starting to get a bit long in focal length, but for visual use it should not be a problem on the CGEM DX. For astrophotography purposes, if you are going to be adding a bunch more gear to the scope and pushing up closer to 50 pounds, then you could have trouble.

If the mount is struggling with just the scope, then it is likely not well balanced (a common problem with the CGEM/DX) and possibly not well adjusted. These issues will cause trouble, particularly with AP. Yes, the CGE Pro is a better mount with a higher capacity, but it is unclear from what you have posted so far as to whether you have any need for it. In addition, the CGE Pro is not trouble free.

#11 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

The EQ8 has a 50 kg 110lb capacity vs 90lb for the CGE pro.

#12 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

The CGE Pro is quite a beast. Mine is observatory mounted. But, if I were using it in the field, I would probably get a couple of inches taken off of the tripod legs. I am 6'4" and with the stock tripod I need something to stand on to mount it. I've only used it 3-4 times since I bought it due to weather. Initial performance has been pretty good. But, honestly I've not had a chance to really evaluate it by the numbers. Like others have asked.... the CGEM DX should be able to handle your scope. You also missed the $1000 off the CGE Pro's... :(

-Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics