•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGEM - Play in the RA Axis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I recently purchased a used, hyper-tuned CGEM that while tracks well and is very smooth, has a lot of play in the RA axis. What can I do to eliminate this play? Does the worm need adjusted? Any guides for doing that on a CGEM?

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

...What can I do to eliminate this play? Does the worm need adjusted? Any guides for doing that on a CGEM?

Here you go - worm/wormgear adjustments. These instructions are specifically for an Atlas/EQ6, but the method for the CGEM is identical.

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Tony, go to the CGEM yahoo group. There is specific instructions on adjusting the CGEM worm on there. It is similar, but I like seeing the CGEM info :).

I can't remember how much play my CGEM had... did you try just balancing it heavy to the meridian you're imaging in?

#4 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

I wasn't really doing any imaging. I had my LS80 on it and the image was jumping out of the FOV while I was trying to adjust the tuning. I can grab the CW shaft and wiggle it more than I think I should.

#5 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Explorer 1

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

I had similar play in the RA on my CGEM that I resolved by adjusting the worm gear. Mount has performed much better since making the adjustment.

Fortunately your mounts already been hypertuned. For those reading this that have a CGEM and want to adjust the worm gear, read this warning caution from Ed Thomas (happened to me):
http://tech.groups.y...EM/message/7756

Unfortunately I found Ed's post after performing the worm gear adjustment. Live and learn.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics