•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar 127 SLT or 5 SE?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Texano78704

Texano78704

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi all. I'm new here and to astronomy as well. I'm interested in getting new telescope and was looking at some five inch scopes. The 127 SLT and 5 SE seem to be similar in size and similar in features. However, the 5 SE is priced a couple hundred dollars more. So, I'm wondering what if anything is gained by spending a little more. Am I just missing something? :confused:

#2 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Welcome aboard Tex. The SE mount is much more robust than the SLT. I love my SLT mount, but they do need some work to get them to be respectably sturdy. The 5 SE is also a Schmit Cassegrain scope, and has a slightly faster focal ratio than the SLT's Maksutov Cassegrain design. The Maksutov will also have a little bit better performance at the edge of your field of view.

Good luck with your choice.

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hi Texano & Welcome to the forum!

As watcher said, the biggest difference is in the mount. The tripod is a lot heavier and allows you to use the scope at higher magnification with less vibration. The mount itself is also more heavy duty with better motors and a more solid arm. All in all it means a more stable view and better accuracy on gotos and tracking.

-Dan

#4 BigC

BigC

Aurora

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

IF one cares to do an ebay search there is one seller offering 127SLT just under $400 and has several !
This might influene your decision.

#5 Texano78704

Texano78704

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I saw the 127 SLT on eBay, which sort of prompted the question. Thanks, and thanks to all for the input.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics