Hyperstar Imaging

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#1 milby

milby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I wanted to start a thread on this forum dedicated to the Fastar/Hyperstar imaging systems. I have had my Hyperstar 9.25" setup for about a year and have loved using it, not that it has been without its headaches.

Although the system is touted as not requiring guidance or even alignment, personally I have had much more satisfying results with a well-ordered equatorial mount and autoguiding. The guys at Starizona are very helpful with the learning curve in any case.

If there's anyone else out there with this equipment (or contemplating it) who'd like to share their experiences/images, please do so!

Attached Files

#2 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi Milby,

I don't have a Hyperstar compatible 'scope in my ol' Nexstar 8i, but I love the work yours is producing ! :bow::bow:

I hope you find some CN colleagues with whom you can exchange ideas in this respect ! :waytogo:

Best regards,
Tel

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Milby your images are awe inspiring. I would love to go with the Hyperstar set up on my C8 but it wont work with my dslr. I've been contemplating going with a bigger scope but now Celestron only offers hyperstar on its Edge line. So now my quest is to find an alternative either a used c11 w/ hyperstar or a ccd camera for the c8. How dark are you skies in Indiana? With the amount of LP in the city does hyperstar make sense? I only get to a dark site 1-2 times a year.

#4 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks, Tel!

James, do you mean your C8 is Fastar-ready but the DSLR is too large for the light path? That can be a problem and is one reason I'm using the SXV camera, which is cylindrical and smaller in diameter than the secondary mirror.

I think one of the advantages of the Hyperstar is its utility under light polluted skies. I'm sure yours are worse in Queens than mine here, but I do have some LP. With 30 second subs I suspect it won't be a problem for you - I can image galaxies under a full moon, after all.

Attached Files

#5 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yes, Milby, my c8 is fast star ready. I have no clue on which camera to buy. What features are critical and which just optomize performance and ease of use. I already have the same guider you are using, but have yet to try it out. Time and weather are my limiting factors.

As far as LP and a full moon, I've tried to photograph using a 50mm fast camera lens F/2 and at 15 second exposures it really washed out the sky. With a full moon under dark skies the terestrial background was fully illuminated but the sky was dark.

#6 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

The advantages of this Starlight camera are the size/shape as noted and the fact that it's one shot color. Filter wheels would get in the way of the light path. Starizona does have a new filter drawer for the Hyperstar which makes RGB a little more reasonable consideration. Filters otherwise screw into the camera adapter. I do some HA imaging and the drawer will make this easier to switch into and out of.

Scott from Starizona put up some pics taken under significant LP here: http://www.hyperstar...photo=174&cat=2

#7 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Milby, nice camera rig on the telescope...and a nice 308 in the garage. GTB or GTS?

#8 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Good eye! '82 308 gtsi

#9 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Ahh, last year before the switch to the QV engine. I love the 308GTS (Thanks to watching too much Magnum PI as a kid) but I lean a bit to Dino 308 GT/4. Missed out on buying a '74 GT/4 because the seller took my deposit and then sold the car to someone else.

#10 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

You may wanna grab a GT4 while you can. They've been treated unfairly over the years - like the 246 Dino was - and look how expensive the 246's are these days. I would think you'd have a lawsuit against that seller, btw.

#11 Thanatos78621

Thanatos78621

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

They have been going up in value for sure. I got my deposit back from him so I let it slide. I'm now leaning towards a '00 360 Modena if I go Ferrari when I get ready to buy. Otherwise, I've been the'06 Aston Vantage for my next toy purchase in a few years.

#12 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Yeah that's a really nice rig you have but just the camera and hyperstar lens alone are going to set me back $2600. Maybe if I had more time to devote to this endevor, I'd consider it. I think I will continue to dream and keep learning on my simple dslr prime focus set up. Keep posting those awesome images :bow:!

#13 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

James, time is a major issue with me as well - busy job and a 7-month-old! F2 defnitely has that advantage. Give the Starizona guys a call and see what they think about your DSLR and the HStar/C8.

#14 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

I have often been tempted to go the hyperstar route, but I have been discouraged by horror stories of impossible collimation. What has been your experience with this?

#15 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Collimation has not been a problem for me. The new Hyperstars have three sets of push-pull screws for this, but my system is in best collimation with the unit set flush, as it came "out of the box."

The other screws are to allow rotation of the lens for framing.

Attached Files

#16 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I am intrigued by the filter drawer that was just released for the hyperstar. I could imagine being able to rip through LRGB/HA/OIII in an evening at f/2 using a low noise TEC CCD!

Correct me if I am wrong, the Edge HD just helps with mirror flop in the hyperstar configuration, yes?

Best,

George

#17 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

It's my understanding that the Edge HD flat field optics have no impact on Hyperstar vis a vis the older Celestrons, if that's what you mean.

Since you have to focus from primary mirror movement, locking the mirror isn't advised.

#18 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Speaking of focusing, I use a microtouch system with focusmax. More than half the time I actually focus things visually (that is with sequential exposures, monitoring the changes on screen) rather than using the focusmax automatic feature, because I like to be sure the entire starfield is in focus (i.e., the collimation is still true). BTW, Focusmax works nicely as a telescope hub via ASCOM.

Starizona says mirror shift is "not a problem" because removal of the secondary greatly diminishes the effect, but there is still detectable shift.

This M51 is comprised of 20 subs of 40 seconds each. Processed with Maxim DL and PixInsight

Attached Files

#19 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Oh man, you got me really wanting to go HS. CFO will object, but wow!

#20 Doug Michel

Doug Michel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lincoln, NE

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Holy *BLEEP* that is awesome!

#21 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Beautifull image once again milby. Looks like my priorities have shifted to the purchace of a house. Until the dusts settles looks like all non-essential aquisitions are on hold. Although that could change by NEAF :smirk:.

I emailed Starizona about the C8-DSLR combination but have yet to recieve a response.

Keep posting those awesome images :bow:

#22 Doug Michel

Doug Michel

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Milby, I was looking again at your most recent picture and noticed in the upper right corner there is a "star" or something that doesnt look like the others. At first I thouhgt it was the star moving across the sky, but this didnt happen to any others in your picture. It almost looks like you captured a much more distant galaxy there. Any ideas?

#23 azcharlie

azcharlie

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I'm new to the forum and just recently purchased a CGEM 1100 and the Hyperstar from Starizona. I also bought a used Atik 428EX. I am still struggling with aligning the scope and wasting much of my time just setting up the darn thing! The few images I have gotten have been ok, but nowhere near some of the images I've seen posted here and elsewhere. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect that my using Nebulosity for capture and processing may be part of the problem. I'm just not getting the results I expected. I know Maxim DL is the best, but $500! Yikes! Also, I haven't gone the route of autoguiding just yet, either. I'd like to stay married..... I can't figure out how to post an image small enough to post or I'd do it. Dean and Scott have been very helpful but they are always busy and would rather I drag the whole set up down to the shop on imaging nights, but I'm not sure I want to do that. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to anything. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the gain on the Atik 428EX?

Rick
Tucson

#24 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Doug,

I'm not Milby but that IS a galaxy. I've seen it identified in other photos. It has a NGC designation but I don't recall the number.

#25 Doug Michel

Doug Michel

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Glad my eyes were not failing me, pretty sweet image with just the main galaxies, but to capture a far more distant object is really cool. I really need to avoid these threads, my wallet is not big enough for the thoughts this brings up about me doing this...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics