Photo

Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Congrats on your purchase, great that you got the "Real McCoy".

Stephan

#27 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thanks, Stephan. This book is a real treasure! :grin:
---Maya

#28 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Ordered a copy last sunday, as part of a bigger order of various books. The description was accurate as far as weigth e.t.c. goes. I specifically informed the bookstore that I'm looking for a original publishers copy, and not a POD. They replied that they will get the book from their supplier, and that the description is based on data from the supplier. They said I can return the book (return shipping covered by them) if it turns out it is not an original pubishers copy.
I just received an e-mail telling me that all books in the order have shipped, except for two, which still are on the way to the vendor. One of these books being "Sky Vistas". So now I'm of course wondering if the delay is because the vendors supplier is printing a POD-copy.
I'll let you all know how the story ends, once the book evenually arrives...

#29 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

It sounds like there's a good chance you will get a true copy, Patrik. If not, at least you have the assurance that you may return the book if it's not what you ordered. :)

:fingerscrossed: I hope you get get news!
---Maya

#30 Lou3

Lou3

Vostok 1

• Loc: PA, USA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Looks like this book will be my next astronomy purchase.

Rookie, thank you for the link to the book covers.

#31 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Ordered a copy last sunday, as part of a bigger order of various books. The description was accurate as far as weigth e.t.c. goes. I specifically informed the bookstore that I'm looking for a original publishers copy, and not a POD. They replied that they will get the book from their supplier, and that the description is based on data from the supplier. They said I can return the book (return shipping covered by them) if it turns out it is not an original pubishers copy.
I just received an e-mail telling me that all books in the order have shipped, except for two, which still are on the way to the vendor. One of these books being "Sky Vistas". So now I'm of course wondering if the delay is because the vendors supplier is printing a POD-copy.
I'll let you all know how the story ends, once the book evenually arrives...

It has arrived, and it will be returned...

Actually it does not look that bad at a cursory glance, but when examining it closer one immediately notices that the paper is not glossy, and thus the pictures are not really sharp. White endpapers, and a weight of about 1150 grams.

I might have kept it if it cost half of what it does - the price is € 72,-, but for that price I expect a genuine copy.

You win some, you loose some... ("Only" time and effort in this particular case, but still....)

#32 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Bummer, Patrik! Real copies are out there, keep trying.

#33 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

:( That's really a shame, and this practice by booksellers to not describe POD books as such is certainly not a good one. I hope you have better luck the next time, Patrik.
---Maya

#34 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

I just ordered mine from Cold Books. We'll see what I get!

I noticed the price had jumped up well over $100 a while back, and when I just saw that it had come back down I jumped.

#35 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

:fingerscrossed: It's a great book -- Good Luck! :grin:

#36 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

Just curious.

For those that ordered from Cold Books, how long after you ordered until the status changed from "Awaiting Bookseller Confirmation"?

#37 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Mine shipped the next day after I ordered it. There was no mention, however, that the book was coming from a book agency in India. That was a surprise! :grin:

#38 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Mine shipped the next day after I ordered it. There was no mention, however, that the book was coming from a book agency in India. That was a surprise! :grin:

Oh well, that's what I figured. Looks like their not going to move as fast on mine, making for a long weekend. I hope they're not finding it difficult to honor my Red endpapers request! :grin:

#39 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

WARNING:

Coldbooks is no longer a good source of this book. It is my opinion that they never were a reliable source. I believe it was just dumb luck that everyone else got the correct one. They are just distributors, and just ship whatever they can from other providers. My special request for a 1st edition with red endpapers was completely ignored.

Yes I got a POS- POD. I don't have the time for this so I won't be trying again....

#40 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

That's sad to hear and just awful!!! I wish this hadn't happened. The way some booksellers are now sending out POD copies is so aggravating! :mad:

#41 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

That's sad to hear and just awful!!! I wish this hadn't happened. The way some booksellers are now sending out POD copies is so aggravating! :mad:

Sure is. I had been following the threads on this book for a long time, and finally had some extra funds. Talk about a let down. Being that the book did not really even come from coldbooks but rather "Prints Asia" I bet the return will be a nightmare.

If a can just get my cash back I'm going to get the Barnard Atlas instead.

#42 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

Contact the seller, if that doesn't work you can dispute it with your credit/debit card company.

#43 Crossen

Crossen

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vienna

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:53 AM

That's sad to hear and just awful!!! I wish this hadn't happened. The way some booksellers are now sending out POD copies is so aggravating!

I'm aggravated too. When this problem first came to my attention a couple months ago, I called Springer-Verlag here in Vienna, where the book was originally printed. One of the editors in Planning (the editor Gerald and I had worked with has retired) told me that it is now Springer's policy not to reprint when the first printing of a book is sold out, but to distribute POD copies. However, this should not (yet) apply to "Sky Vistas" because, according to my count from Springer's annual accounting statements to me, something like half the original first printing of the book should still be available--that would be around 1000 copies (the exact number would depend upon how many review copies Springer sent out, which should not be more than a two-digit number anyway). In short, there is absolutely no legitimate reason that buyers should be getting what are in essence counterfeit copies of "Sky Vistas."

The editor at Springer said she would call me back about this problem. She hasn't, and that was two months ago. It's clear that I'm going to have to go to Springer's offices here in Vienna and raise Cain in person. I would have gotten around to this sooner, but during the past two months I have been finishing the research, writing, and illustrations-gathering for a history of archaeology in Iraq with another European publisher. But from the limited information I have, I would guess that the problem does not originate with Springer-Verlag here in Vienna anyway, but with Springer New York and with distributors like Amazon. I would say that the best course for a would-be buyer is to order "Sky Vistas" directly from Springer in New York rather than from a secondary distributer, specifying the original first-printing copies of the book with the red end-covers, which seem to be a reliable sign of authenticity.

Craig Crossen

#44 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Craig,
Have you seen how the book looks on a Kindle. I see that Amazon is selling a Kindle version of your book. I only ask since I am eyeing a Kindle Fire HD and am trying to keep my number of printed books to more easy to manage amount... also if the binding is *BLEEP* on the POD, might as well just get it for Kindle and not worry about bindings.

#45 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Craig,
Have you seen how the book looks on a Kindle. I see that Amazon is selling a Kindle version of your book. I only ask since I am eyeing a Kindle Fire HD and am trying to keep my number of printed books to more easy to manage amount... also if the binding is terrible on the POD, might as well just get it for Kindle and not worry about bindings.

#46 Crossen

Crossen

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vienna

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Craig,
Have you seen how the book looks on a Kindle. I see that Amazon is selling a Kindle version of your book. I only ask since I am eyeing a Kindle Fire HD and am trying to keep my number of printed books to more easy to manage amount... also if the binding is *BLEEP* on the POD, might as well just get it for Kindle and not worry about bindings.

Yes, I have been aware of the Kindle e-version of "Sky Vistas." Its file size--under 9 MB--is simply too small to do justice to Gerald's photos: there are, after all, 48 full-page color plates in the book plus 48 B&W photos, many of them also full-page. The Kindle price--$65--is so high that it makes sense to spend the extra $25 or so for the real thing and have the photos--a gallery of the art of astrophotography by Gerald Rhemann--in the best possible form. I presume, but do not know for a fact, that it is this disgracefully low-MB scan that's being used to generate the POD versions of the book that are being peddled.

You were correct in your review of the book on Amazon: only a couple photos in "Sky Vistas" are from CCD astrophotography because Gerald was just getting into it when we assembled "Sky Vistas." However, he had had all his astrophotos scanned by that time and provided Springer with computer-processed images (which we worked on together).

You were also correct to call "Sky Vistas" a coffee-table book, because it is and I meant it to be. But, as you also pointed out, it is likewise a reference source, with dozens of (usually short, because I did not want them to dominate the look of the book) data tables. It is also a non-mathematical introduction to astrophysics for the serious amateur astronomer and many, or most, of the astrophotos were chosen for inclusion in the book not only because they are very beautiful works of art, but also because they vividly illustrate the astrophysics of the objects and/or fields shown. The rather lengthy captions to many of the photos are intended to bring out the astrophysics those photos illustrate.

I did choose the photos with comets intentionally for inclusion in the book: Gerald likes to do comet astrophotography, and so he has a lot of them. I'm glad you liked them.

Craig Crossen

#47 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

The Abe Books web site has a search refinement option called "Not Print-on-Demand". I have purchased many books through them including my Sky Vistas copy that came from Germany and I've never noticed this option before. It may be new or it may be I am more attentive to the issue because of this thread.

#48 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Craig,

Yes, I have been aware of the Kindle e-version of "Sky Vistas." Its file size--under 9 MB--is simply too small to do justice to Gerald's photos: there are, after all, 48 full-page color plates in the book plus 48 B&W photos, many of them also full-page. The Kindle price--$65--is so high that it makes sense to spend the extra $25 or so for the real thing and have the photos--a gallery of the art of astrophotography by Gerald Rhemann--in the best possible form. I presume, but do not know for a fact, that it is this disgracefully low-MB scan that's being used to generate the POD versions of the book that are being peddled.

You were correct in your review of the book on Amazon: only a couple photos in "Sky Vistas" are from CCD astrophotography because Gerald was just getting into it when we assembled "Sky Vistas." However, he had had all his astrophotos scanned by that time and provided Springer with computer-processed images (which we worked on together).

You were also correct to call "Sky Vistas" a coffee-table book, because it is and I meant it to be. But, as you also pointed out, it is likewise a reference source, with dozens of (usually short, because I did not want them to dominate the look of the book) data tables. It is also a non-mathematical introduction to astrophysics for the serious amateur astronomer and many, or most, of the astrophotos were chosen for inclusion in the book not only because they are very beautiful works of art, but also because they vividly illustrate the astrophysics of the objects and/or fields shown. The rather lengthy captions to many of the photos are intended to bring out the astrophysics those photos illustrate.

I did choose the photos with comets intentionally for inclusion in the book: Gerald likes to do comet astrophotography, and so he has a lot of them. I'm glad you liked them.

Craig Crossen

Hi Craig,
Glad to know the Kindle version is not the best option then if they are using a low res version to scan. I am very fortunate that our library has a copy of your book (with the red pages even!) that has been holding me over till I can get a copy for myself. I had to reread my review on Amazon :lol: But yep those comet pictures gave me a chuckle.

#49 auriga

auriga

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hi, Craig,
Great to see your superb book is getting the acclaim it deserves, despite a Not Invented Here review in an astronomy source.
Best,
Bill

#50 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hi Craig,

I promptly returned my POD copy of Sky Vistas to Amazon for a refund. The low quality of the reproductions of Gerald's beautiful astrophotography, particularly the color plates, was probably the worst thing about the POD. I was so happy to get my hands on a copy of the real deal.

If your book is a coffee table book, it is one in the same way that Timothy Ferris's magnificent Galaxies is.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics