Photo

New Toy Arriving Soon: 8'' Edge HD

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hi Zach, your new rig looks really nice. I'm wondering that when you get your TMB130SS back in service, how'll you be dividing your time between it and your new Celestron Edge 8"? I'm asking since every so often I do a little "window shopping" for a complementary scope for my nice 5" achro. SCTs 8-10" are on the list but I'm wondering if an 8" SCT would "compete" instead of "complement" a 5" refractor.

Here's hoping your new scope shows you a lot of the night sky....

Personally, I prefer my C6-RGT 6" achromat over my deforked Powerstar III C8 other than for photography. If I didn't have an observatory, I would feel differently.

#52 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Congratulations Zach! What a beautiful telescope and mount. Hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.....Phil

#53 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Madratter- I'm sure it will be an interesting comparison between the TMB and the Edge. I just hope I can get the TMB up and running before to long.

Phil-Thanks! It's certainly a nice setup to look at. The Edge and iE45 are a nice compliment to each other. :)

#54 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Madratter- I'm sure it will be an interesting comparison between the TMB and the Edge. I just hope I can get the TMB up and running before to long.

Phil-Thanks! It's certainly a nice setup to look at. The Edge and iE45 are a nice compliment to each other. :)

That TMB is one sweet scope. I would love to have it. So is the Edge. And both should be excellent both for photography and visual observing. It would be nice to be in your shoes trying to decide which is the nicer of the two. :question:

#55 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yeah it's a good situation to be in. :grin: The TMB has already proven itself both visually and photographically. I'm sure the Edge will do great. And once the TMB is fixed, I'll do a comparison between the two. And just for fun I'll through in a Meade 102ED for the comparison. It's a real sweet scope also.

#56 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yeah it's a good situation to be in. :grin: The TMB has already proven itself both visually and photographically. I'm sure the Edge will do great. And once the TMB is fixed, I'll do a comparison between the two. And just for fun I'll through in a Meade 102ED for the comparison. It's a real sweet scope also.

I have the exact same TMB/EdgeHD combination (along with quite a few others). Both are excellent scopes with different uses. To me this is always an apples and oranges comparison. What's wrong with your TMB?

#57 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Ed- You're right. It will be like comparing apples to oranges. Though I still look forward to comparing the two. :)

The o-ring located behind the lenses popped out. It occupies the space where the collimation screws are located. I'm waiting to receive a new o-ring from Astronomics, which is waiting for the o-ring to be sent to them from the factory. Not sure how long it will, but right now I'm going on a month with no TMB.

Here is a link to the CN post I made with pictures.

#58 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Ed- You're right. It will be like comparing apples to oranges. Though I still look forward to comparing the two. :)

The o-ring located behind the lenses popped out. It occupies the space where the collimation screws are located. I'm waiting to receive a new o-ring from Astronomics, which is waiting for the o-ring to be sent to them from the factory. Not sure how long it will, but right now I'm going on a month with no TMB.

Here is a link to the CN post I made with pictures.

Well there is something to keep in mind. Hopefully it will not effect collimation. I have never heard anything fun about refractor collimation. Otherwise they are beautiful scopes.

#59 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yeah from what I know my 130SS is the first to do this. If collimation is affected, I'll send to Astronomics to fix. I've attempted to collimate a triplet before and did not succeed. I figure it's better to let the experts handle it.

#60 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yeah from what I know my 130SS is the first to do this. If collimation is affected, I'll send to Astronomics to fix. I've attempted to collimate a triplet before and did not succeed. I figure it's better to let the experts handle it.

Hi Ed and Zach. Zach, why not just send your TMS130SS to Astronomics and have them put in the O-ring and make sure it's collimated?

Ed, thanks for saying that about your combo of the TMS130SS and C8HD. How do you use the apo and C8HD? I'm considering a C8HD as an EVENTUAL companion for my 5" achro. A C9.25 (HD or no) is also on that short list (so is a 8-10" Dob of sufficient focal length).

Best,

#61 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

You could order an o-ring from McMaster-Carr... :question:

#62 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Mark- I wanted to do just that. After talking with Mike from Astronomics he informed me that it was possible that the lens could get damaged in shipping since the o-ring is not perfectly in place. I have a feeling that it will be out of collimation and I will need to send it to them to be fixed.

Johnny- Yeah I could order an o-ring from there, but I'd feel better having the actual o-ring from the factory for the lens.

#63 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi Ed and Zach. Zach, why not just send your TMS130SS to Astronomics and have them put in the O-ring and make sure it's collimated?

Ed, thanks for saying that about your combo of the TMS130SS and C8HD. How do you use the apo and C8HD? I'm considering a C8HD as an EVENTUAL companion for my 5" achro. A C9.25 (HD or no) is also on that short list (so is a 8-10" Dob of sufficient focal length).

Best,

I'm visual only (no time for the AP stuff). Sometimes it's a matter of what is easier to take with me and/or haul out. The C8HD in the case is smaller and lighter than the TMB and is really more grab and go. Both are outstanding but for wider fields the TMB obviously wins. I really like SCTs and my C11HD is a favorite, but it's a beast (especially after several shoulder and elbow surgeries). I'm not sure if I have an absolute favorite in my primary scopes right now since I really like all of them. But I love the C8HD for its power and portability. Maybe one of the most important things about the C8HD (or standard C8) is its value per square inch of apature. It really can't be beat in that category.

#64 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ed-Thanks for that info!

I have another question which concerns cool down times. What would be the best way to let the Edge cool down? Place it outside with the front cover on and visual back plugged or have the cover off and the visual back open? I would assume I'm looking at a couple hours to cool down going from inside temp. of 68 F to outside temp of 35-40 F.

Thanks!

#65 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Ed-Thanks for that info!

I have another question which concerns cool down times. What would be the best way to let the Edge cool down? Place it outside with the front cover on and visual back plugged or have the cover off and the visual back open? I would assume I'm looking at a couple hours to cool down going from inside temp. of 68 F to outside temp of 35-40 F.

Thanks!

Because of the optics that are located inside the baffle tube, leaving it unsealed won't help. With the EdgeHD without using any form of active cooling, the best thing to do is to leave it outside for as long as possible before going out to view. Glass doesn't really transmit heat very well so you may as well leave the corrector cover on as well. To speed things up, you could open up the Fastar hole and leave the corrector cover off, but this may allow dust, etc. to get inside the tube. Other than that, you have to go to active cooling through the vents, the Fastar hole or both. Then you can cut the cooling times way down e.g., if you were normally looking at 2 hours, then you would probably down to 1/2 hour or less). Basically, you become limited by the primary's ability to shed heat rather than the air's ability to tranfer heat.

#66 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the info Ed, I appreciate it. Looks like I might have to buy an active cooling system then.

#67 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Well I ordered a dew shield today. The one I made wasn't going to work. All that's left to get is an OAG and maybe an active cooling system.

#68 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Well I ordered a dew shield today. The one I made wasn't going to work.

Why is that Zach?

Steve

#69 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm sure it will be an interesting comparison between the TMB and the Edge.

I cant speak for the C8 Edge, but I do have a standard C8 and a TMB130.
On globular clusters and fainer galaxies the C8 is better as would be expected from the larger aperture.
Wide field for large open cluster, M31, N, American nebula etc the TMB provides stunning flat field views.
On the planets I'd say it's a toss up.
The TMB is crisper but the extra aperture of the C8 helps show similar amounts of details in the Jovian cloud belts.
Not a big surprise.

Steve

#70 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Well I ordered a dew shield today. The one I made wasn't going to work.

Why is that Zach?

Steve

I bought some construction paper,fiddled around with making the dew shield, then realized I should probably just buy one. Though I might go back and make one anyhow.

I suspect my views with the Edge will be similar to what you saw when comparing your SCT to the TMB.

Since the TMB is out of service at the moment,the Edge will get plenty of time to prove its worth in both deep sky and planets. I'm really excited to look Saturn through the Edgge

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics