LS60 / LS80

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Danzup77

Danzup77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

I have the LS80 DSII and I love it (HUGE BUT) it's the only HA scope I have ever even looked through, never mind owned. My question is kind of open I suppose as I'm looking for honest opinions but after well over a year of reading the forums here it seems almost blindingly clear that nobody really seems in favor of the LS80...AT ALL. I keep seeing comments like "If you have the 60 keep it vs upgrading" and "Dont get the LS80, just get the LS100 ss". I mean, does the LS80 just suck or am I missing a "bigger picture" somewhere?

Again, hard for me to say because single OR double the LS80 looks great to me. Just curious as to why it "appears" to be such a........stepchild? Anyway, I'm looking forward to the responses.

Thanks All :bow:
Dan

#2 Matt Wastell

Matt Wastell

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Paddington, Brisbane, Australia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

Hi Dan
I have both scopes and have commented on the comparisons often.
In summary (my view)
-the DS provides the best views - the 80DS is a better scope than the 60DS
- same in SS mode
- the DS60 is better than the SS80
- the 80 does not suck at all - a great scope especially if you have no others to compare it to
- the upgrade from a 60 to the 80 is probably the smallest leap you can make so people often (and I agree) recommend the bigger step
- I initially moved from a 40 to a 60 - that is quite a difference. The step from the 60 to the 80 was not the same leap
All this makes perfect sense - aperture wins and DS is the visual king.
For me (my conditions are average at best) the 80 is affected more and although you can get closer, the 60 seems to be the better balanced scope for viewing and imaging. I do enjoy quick disc shots so the 60 and DMK51 are perfect for each other.

#3 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I have an LS80 on the way and I also have the DSII. I am wondering the same with regards to the LS100 and I haven't even looked through my scope yet. Now I know I will enjoy the 80 but I can't help but think for a few $ more the 100 might be better like almost everyone is saying. What puzzles me, Matt, is you say the DS60 is better than SS80 but almost everyone is saying the SS100 is better than the DS80. And this is even a smaller step up in aperture %. I wonder why this is. Is it the longer focal length of the 100 or does the 100 just hit a certain sweet spot. Or is the something else that is better in the optics. I imagine too that the 100 would be effected by seeing conditions more than the 100 but maybe not enough to be a problem except on the worst of days.

Thanks, Kent

#4 George9

George9

Messenger

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I agree with Matt. I own the LS80 but have looked through a lot of LS60s, especially before my purchase. The LS80 has a better view, but the LS60 is even more portable and cheaper. I actually preferred the DS II design over the DS60 external because you can quickly tune up and down band. But if I had already owned a bigger scope and wanted a second one, I might have gone for the 60. Given that I was only going to own one scope, the 80 was right for me.

George

#5 Matt Wastell

Matt Wastell

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Paddington, Brisbane, Australia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hi Kent - you make a good point about the 80DS vs the 100SS - I do not have / or have looked thru the 100 so I only refer to my own experience. I just believe the DS adds so much more depth to the view and I would imagine that carries across to the 80DS vs the 100SS!?
You will love your 80DS and I would not even consider any change until you have given the 80 a full work out - it will take years - enjoy!

I have an LS80 on the way and I also have the DSII. I am wondering the same with regards to the LS100 and I haven't even looked through my scope yet. Now I know I will enjoy the 80 but I can't help but think for a few $ more the 100 might be better like almost everyone is saying. What puzzles me, Matt, is you say the DS60 is better than SS80 but almost everyone is saying the SS100 is better than the DS80. And this is even a smaller step up in aperture %. I wonder why this is. Is it the longer focal length of the 100 or does the 100 just hit a certain sweet spot. Or is the something else that is better in the optics. I imagine too that the 100 would be effected by seeing conditions more than the 100 but maybe not enough to be a problem except on the worst of days.

Thanks, Kent

#6 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

If I was forced to keep only one solar scope, it would be the Lunt 80DS.

#7 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

If I was forced to keep only one solar scope, it would be the Lunt 80DS.

Interesting :) Is that for portability or do you like the low power full disk views better or ??

#8 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

Well, I have two Lunts, the 35 and the 60. Soon I will be offering the 60 for sale. Yes, it shows much more surface detail but the 35 is so much more GnG and gives a slightly better view of proms, the main reason I bought an Ha scope.

Never looked through a Lunt 80 unless it was at NEAF a few years ago. Don't remember as there were so many solar scopes their.

#9 bandazar

bandazar

Vostok 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

I remember looking through coronado 60's and didn't see that much difference between it and a 40mm coronado or pst. I've never looked through a lunt 60 though.
I do have a pst and a lunt 80 though. Difference is that the 80 is similar to the pst except that you get no sweat spot problems in the 80, the image is a bit crisper, and you can see a lot more flares (maybe around 2-12x or so if I had to guess. a lot depends on the particular day.). I had to use an atik focal reducer to get the same image size through a pst though. That is one thing I sort of missed. I kind of think of the 80 as the "perfect" pst 40 without any problems.
You want to see spicules and a lot more flares? then you get a larger aperture scope. But then you have to deal with weight and cost issues.
It's not only an objective experience, it is also a subjective one. What bothers some people doesn't bother others. And what some others find interesting some others do not. I don't find spicules to be all that amazing. And more flares? So what? A clean image in the 80 is what I like.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics